CATS IN VAN ON HOLIDAY? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Both of us are cat lovers and have had them in the past. But as we do a lot of travelling in our MH home and abroad, we did not think it would work taking a cat with us. On several trips over the last couple of years we have seen people travelling with cats.

What happens when you want to go out for the day and it is very hot (i.e.Spain?
If any of the "funsters" travel with cats what advise could they give?

colyboy

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Will watch this thread with interest...missing our twin kittens terribly:censored:

re heat: fit an automatic fantastic fan for starters I should think?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I full timed for a year and a half with 2 dogs & 2 cats, though the majority of the time was in UK.
One cat went out on her own, she was already elderly and stayed close to the van.
Freddie was the opposite. He'd head for any road, or failing that sit in a hedge and cry at the top of his voice.
I got him to go out on a harness and lead, start slowly, just harness for a minute ( feed treat) build the time up, then introduce the lead. Don't try to walk them straight away, just get used to it.
Litter tray in shower which was first lined with vinyl tablecloth. Clean tray with a spray solution if 50/50 surgical spirit and water, you'll never have any smell.
Folding crates from Ebay--the fabric ones. Buy largest possible. I had 2 which I bungeed together after opening two end doors, doubled the space. Place it beneath awning.
If you want to cool a van more effectively freeze a water filled plastic bottle and stand it in front of an electric fan.
Fly screen door on van helps too, screened windows stop them escaping.
Provide something they/he/she can scratch on or they'll attack furniture!

Ebay crates. I had similar to this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOA-Foldi...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4840022f70

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
IMAG0135.jpg Our previous cat used to dislike being in the car but loved the van. Would come and go as she pleased and once appeared 2am complete with takeaway mouse!
Charlie passed away and we now have dolly the Bengal. She is nervous but has been fine on uk trips. She's going to Germany next week so well see. Darent let her out though. Litter tray in shower well, scratch post in cab lots of TLC. Be back before it gets too hot

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
We inherited the in laws' cat and made the mistake of taking it in the van ! We put the litter tray down and went to sleep only to be disturbed in the night by a scratching noise when she used the tray. That was bearable but the overpowering smell that followed a short time later was something else ! The following day, we let her out onto the grass only for her to make her way under the van and perch in the most inaccessible place she could find! That was the end of any thoughts about taking her away with us again :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Fgot to mention open roof light in bathroom! We have invested in a covered litter tray which cuts down on smell and scattered litter.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hello, our old girl came with us a lot, loved the winter sunshine in Spain.
She had a harness & lead & coped very well. Did have a few wanders on her own but being old didn't venture far.
Would always test her litter try after about 100 yards of leaving home. Just let us know she was there.
Used all types of litter over the years but found the best to be the pine sawdust pellets. They absorb the pong & moisture very well, turn back to sawdust when wet, very easy to dispose of in gardens etc. Solid lumps we took out & flushed in the Thetford.
Wish she was still with us.
Barrie

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks everybody, but would love an answer re going out for the day and leaving cat in the MH when very hot.

colyboy

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks everybody, but would love an answer re going out for the day and leaving cat in the MH when very hot.

colyboy
Sorry, didn't explain fully, we leave the rooflights up but have not yet been away from uk with a cat so no high temperatures. Think we will be back from our next trip before it gets too hot but have Aircon, so will leave it on low if its hot. Others have posted cool mats?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

colyboy

I already mentioned fitting a fantastic fan? Can't see another way round the problem to be honest....

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry folks but cats stink , cat lovers can't smell it cause their that used to it . Cats in a van are so wrong on so many ways , solution , shoot the stinking , filthy flea ridden rodents . Not that I dislike cats .

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Our cat has travelled with us in caravans and motorhomes since she was a kitten and has spent winters in Spain since 2001.
We allways make sure to leave roof vents or window open and draw the blinds on the sunny side when leaving her in.
In winter it dos'nt get so hot in Spain so never had a problem with motorhome over heating,when we travelled to Spain last winter we asked why the cat could stay in the camper and the dog had to travel in a kennel , they explained that it gets hot below decks and cats have a higher tolerance to heat than dogs.
When we arrive anywhere Julia takes the cat out and rubs the cats cheeks around the camping area as there scent glands are in there cheeks and it helps to find there way home.
Our cat is now 19 years old and dos'nt venture far
Alan

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Sorry folks but cats stink , cat lovers can't smell it cause their that used to it . Cats in a van are so wrong on so many ways , solution , shoot the stinking , filthy flea ridden rodents . Not that I dislike cats .

You're all heart......:swear:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988

So, you don't like cats then(I'm quick on the uptake):* I always ask our friends, we do have plenty even though we have a cat, if they can smell cat. I can assure you they are quite outspoken, maybe like yourself, and they always say no they can't. :hi:. Its my cat and my house so ........

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Cats about the cleanest pets going if you look after them!:(

Surgical spirit in the tray after cleaning it a good tip

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
When I left the Army I went through a bad patch for a couple of years. Someone gave me a baby ginger tom ( the last thing I thought I wanted at that time!) My Dad died later that year and Mum missed him so much she was on her way out too. I gave her little Baldrick and it did the trick. Mum and Dad loved caravanning so I took Mum to a Cl behind the Alhampton Arms near Castle Cary a few times, a favorite watering hole of theirs. Of course Baldrick had to come too and although she kept him on a harness most of the time there were times when he escaped. The call would then go out to all in the pub and a search would begin in the village. Grown men, many half pissed, would be running round the village calling "Baldrick....,Baldrick" We always got him back and it cost me a fortune in beers!! ::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Where's Jaws when you need him ?

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Re judgementals post , why not tie the cat to the fan . Bet that would cool it down .

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Dear dear old soldier that's not very nice especially to another old soldier .

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Get sick of these type of posts on here re cats /dogs / kids etc .... Not funny just nasty ..... If people cant say something decent / relevant I wish they would just shut up. NOT FUNNY just nasty.

My beloved cat was dead in our garden surrounded by stones that some pillock had thrown at her, I like to think that maybe she was already dead and they were just trying to see if she would move ..... Our other cat was set upon by someone his tail was stamped on and his back legs bitten through by a dog ...... Some real sickos about hope there aren't any on here.

Couldn't take our Bengal away with us he goes crackers in a vehicle and hates being caged up. He is babysat at home when we go away ... He is 14 1/2 now which I believe is pretty old for a Bengal. Think a more docile breed would cope better .... Birman?

image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back