Cats in a Motorhome.... Are we mad? (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Just curious how many other Funsters dare to take their fur balls on holiday?

cat3.jpg

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Seen lots on my tours in Europe, mostly they sleep in the sun on the dashboard or on long leads with harnesses under the awning.

A few take them walking on harnesses. I would love a cat, but can't at present. I would be taking my cat on my travels no problem.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I've seen plenty of people who do. Also parrots.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
With two cute cats like that you'd be mad not to take them! :):)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We take our two. Well, when I say "our", they're not really ours, they were both abandoned and adopted us.

One of them has scratched the inside of the paper/metallic pleated blinds to shreds, so we've taken to not closing the blinds now, we use the curtains instead. Unfortunately the windscreen and kitchen window don't have curtains, so we just have to accept that we are a little bit 'exposed' if we get up in the night (we both sleep naked).

We are considering changing the current motorhome for a newish van conversion, which only has blinds and no curtains, so this will be worse than our current situation. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions to avoid the new blinds getting shredded?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We are sometimes held hostage at home because we cant find some lovely kind, willing person to come in and feed our cats while we are away.
Long story but cannot put Bobby into a cattery, the other one Lulu is on her last legs at 20 years old.
Bobby would tear our motor home to shreds in no time,as for putting a leash on him, forget it, he would have your hand off, not that there is a nasty bone in his body, but he would hate being confined and would panic.
So we are envious of all you that manage to have placid cats that can be taken away with you.
PS: we keep telling Bobby he would love it, but he doesn't seem impressed wont even stay in the motor home on the drive unless the door is open, imagine what would happen if we started the engine!:eek:

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Our Daisy travels everywhere with us, she's a very easy going cat so is no problem. View attachment 309221

What harness is that? Tried some but our girl (Rosa) seems to slip out too easily. Not that she is trying to get away, just goes to the end of the lead if we aren't looking, quick shake and trots over to the nearest plant for a good sniff.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
What harness is that? Tried some but our girl (Rosa) seems to slip out too easily. Not that she is trying to get away, just goes to the end of the lead if we aren't looking, quick shake and trots over to the nearest plant for a good sniff.
Sorry Jev, I have no Idea what make it is, a friend gave it to us.

It's a quick release item, I would think plenty available on line.

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Some years ago, we inherited Mum in law's cat when she passed and made the mistake of trying to take it with us in the van. In the middle of the night, there was a scraping noise coming from the cat tray we had put by the door - pretty quickly followed by a foul stink that nearly choked us. The following morning, despite watching it very carefully, the cat decided that it would go under the van and up into the chassis legs and there was no way it was going to come out. That was the one and only time it ever came with us !!

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Some years ago, we inherited Mum in law's cat when she passed and made the mistake of trying to take it with us in the van. In the middle of the night, there was a scraping noise coming from the cat tray we had put by the door - pretty quickly followed by a foul stink that nearly choked us. The following morning, despite watching it very carefully, the cat decided that it would go under the van and up into the chassis legs and there was no way it was going to come out. That was the one and only time it ever came with us !!

Bad luck. It does depend on the temperament of the animal(s) I guess. Ours sleep at home in their carry case by choice some days and have always accompanied me into the MH when parked outside whilst I upgrade and fix various pipes, electrics and heaters etc.... So they are very comfortable with the travelling (so far).

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I lived in my Motorhome for just short of two years with 2 cats and 2 dogs. One cat ok to go out on her own, other had a lead and harness. They also had a huge crate to be outside in. Their space could be enlarged as I had 2 crates I could join together. Had no problems at all, no damage in van.
The trick to the litter tray is to keep dog poo bags nearby, scoop as soon as tray is used. When you empty the litter wipe the tray with surgical spirit, destroys any smells.
You do have to be careful not to lower windows if they are loose in the van as they could jump, and you don’t want that at a French toll booth!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We take our two. Well, when I say "our", they're not really ours, they were both abandoned and adopted us.

One of them has scratched the inside of the paper/metallic pleated blinds to shreds, so we've taken to not closing the blinds now, we use the curtains instead. Unfortunately the windscreen and kitchen window don't have curtains, so we just have to accept that we are a little bit 'exposed' if we get up in the night (we both sleep naked).

We are considering changing the current motorhome for a newish van conversion, which only has blinds and no curtains, so this will be worse than our current situation. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions to avoid the new blinds getting shredded?
Do you have a scratching post
Bad luck. It does depend on the temperament of the animal(s) I guess. Ours sleep at home in their carry case by choice some days and have always accompanied me into the MH when parked outside whilst I upgrade and fix various pipes, electrics and heaters etc.... So they are very comfortable with the travelling (so far).

A tugger friend took his cat with him in the van on every trip for its 15 year life (it died last year). It showed no interest in leaving the van & wouldn't even when encouraged. His cat kit was a litter tray in the shower room, a scratching post in the lounge area, and a cat cage in the car when travelling. It spent most of its time asleep in the front window. When at home he said it spent most of its time outdoors. Unless the caravan was open :).

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I do like to see cats out and about as long as the owners are responsible and clean up after them ?
Just the same as dogs ?

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Ps. I have a scratching post that fits in a circular floor socket where I presume a table was originally intended to go. And they both like clawing the very coarse habitation doormat..... Phew! Better than scratching anywhere else!

They can climb front seats to access the over cab bed area but I built them a folding carpeted ramp to make it easier.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We leave our cat at home and arrange for someone to come in and feed her.

Sounds good but the little shit craps all over my chair by way of recompense. :mad:

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Got our cat at 5mths, now 3, he has been with us on most journeys. At the beginning for longer trips, as he does get a bit stir crazy, he would be sent to my mums, until he decided to walk home! He is harnessed.he has managed to get loose, which sends us into a panic, but up till now he has sneaked back into van while we’re looking for him! Still don’t feel confident to let him roam.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

You could get some lightweight thin Perspex cut to fit the frames of the rear habitation blinds. Just stick up with Velcro dots during times blinds closed. They would probably store behind or under a bench cushion.
For the cab blinds, I would get a large fold up cheap sun blind and just push in place with the visors for support, don’t use the rather more expensive fitted ones.
In fact you could use one of those now for your nighttime exposures ! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back