Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Fellow riders,

I have a classic Catch 22 that even Mr Heller would be vexed by so I am looking for some advice.

I have just bought a motorhome and intend/intended to buy a trailer to pull my and SWMBO's bikes round as we travel.

Comfort Insurance tell me that the m/h policy will cover the trailer, while attached, to the tune of £3000, but not what it carries.

MCE, who insure my KTM, informed me today that my bikes will not be covered whilst on the back of the trailer and that I should consult with Comfort. MCE are of the opinion that the bike(s) should be covered by the m/h insurance whilst in transit!

Bit of a quandry! Have any of you folks come up against this? If you have, how did you resolve it?

Thanks in anticipation....

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Almost every insurer has a trailer policy, trouble is it is exactly that insurance for your trailer.

Any A framers out there depending on their insurers "trailer" cover beware
You version of a trailer ie your toad will not fit in with most insurers idea of a trailer, they have a tick box mentality towards trailers indeed they do have a tick box list of trailers and im sure you wont find your pride and joy in that list amongs the Batesons, Ifor Williams, and Brian James.
Trailers carrying cars can and do suffer exactly the same restrictions as your bikes
Some on here will swear they have it all covered, I would want it in writing, Im sure those that say they do will be happy to post proof on here
You can then join their company or see below

I know this problem can be over come with a separate goods in Transit policy at a price

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Could never get the outfit covered whilst in the trailer on the road, couldn't afford the insurance for it whilst racing, 30 grand of bike not insured does focus your mind on the road. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We've been pulling a trailer for 1000s of miles with two Harleys on and you've raised a good point! Campervan insured, tick, Harleys insured, tick, trailer insured, tick. Are Harleys insured when on trailer........I don't know at this point but will do later today :)

Thanks for making a good point, however even if they're not and the cost of insurance is an issue, I don't think we'll do anything differently. As Enword said, keep focused on the road!

Mick

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
But being alert is only half the solution.
What if you have a trailer wheel blow-out and flip the trailer?
A couple of heavy bikes on a light trailer makes it a bit top heavy.

My biggest worry was someone driving in the back of us & writing off the bike & stuff inside, trailer was insured but not contents, tools, awning, oven, microwave, spare engine, inters on wheel's, wets on wheels etc.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Right, I've just verified that Comfort do cover the trailer when attached to the Campervan up to £3000, clearly doesn't include the Harleys! Trailer insuer does not cover the trailer contents. However the Harleys are insured through Bikesure and providing I notify them of dates for travel and countiries that will be visited, then the bikes are covered when on the trailer. Have an email to that effect.

So once again thanks for bringing up the issue BT and a happy ending. :)

Mick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My biggest worry was someone driving in the back of us & writing off the bike & stuff inside, trailer was insured but not contents, tools, awning, oven, microwave, spare engine, inters on wheel's, wets on wheels etc.
But you would have a claim against the other driver.
A mate was in a similar accident in his car going to work..... He even claimed for his tea flask and sandwiches.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
But you would have a claim against the other driver.
A mate was in a similar accident in his car going to work..... He even claimed for his tea flask and sandwiches.

That's true but the rolling chassis is the only thing you can get off the shelf, every thing else is bespoke, so the down time was the biggest worry, missing meetings & points :) We are a little strange though because we accept crashing it & writing it off whilst racing:p

Edit, There are a few out there just like Triggers broom ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Cheers folks. My worries are similar to those above but also:

1 - a theft of bikes and trailer in a oner.

2- a blowout and topple.

3 - a collision/rear shunt.

4 - fire.

5 - vandalism.

That's a lot of what ifs! I would not be able to enjoy myself knowing that nearly twenty grands of bikes was bouncing around behind me uninsured, or if I stopped for a break and didn't dismount them rendering them uninsured and effectively abandoned far from home!

The rep at MCE insurance stated, after some digging with the actual provider and a long hold for me, what I wrote in my original post. As you can imagine I was a tad flummoxed. I asked what real difference it made whether the bike was parked on a street far from home, as it often is, or sitting on a trailer that is parked on a street? He wouldn't be drawn, just quoted the new party line.

Mick - are you required to inform your insurer of all your individual plans? Sort of removes the spontaneity of the whole adventure! Do they require you to inform them for domestic travel as well? What if you don't know exactly where you're going, or change the plan? I fail to see the relevance of them requesting that level of info on an individual basis. I would read the small print on that mate; you know what these companies are like!

Someone alluded to a carriage of goods policy, can anybody clarify that under these circumstances?

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
And whilst we're on the subject...

I haven't bought a trailer yet.

Any of you good folks got pictures of your rig? just to give me any pointers that I havent' covered myself...

It would seem that a big box, twin axle, ramped access is out as they are too pricey. I can't believe how the bloody things hold their value, you could use them as currency!

I wanted a low loader/drop bed, but cant find anybody in the UK that does them as a twin. Yanks and germans do....Check out the Tante Bertha model if you are bored, its a cracker built in germany but costs a pint of your first born's blood!

Ho hum...its all a bit of a moot point till the insurance question is answered.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Mick - are you required to inform your insurer of all your individual plans? Sort of removes the spontaneity of the whole adventure! Do they require you to inform them for domestic travel as well?

Hi BT. to be fair to the insurance company I only asked about continetal travel and they requested that I inform them before we travel of dates and countries we will visit. A bit like we all may need to be doing for a green card post B! Typically ride when we're in the UK.

Towing the trailer, complete with Harleys through France, with the wife driving the RV, we had a trailer tyre disintegrate. The RV is 6.8t, the trailer about 1t. We didn't notice until cars passing brought her attention to the smoke! Exciting times......not!

Onto trailers, we have a Pheonix Trailers smart car trailers to which they fitted two bike hoops. It's large enough to fit two Harleys with panniers width wise. I had a frame and cover made so that the bikes are enclosed.

https://www.phoenixtrailer.co.uk/product/smart-car-trailer/

Doesn't come with the Smart car :D

RV 05.12.18.jpg

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Right, I've just verified that Comfort do cover the trailer when attached to the Campervan up to £3000, clearly doesn't include the Harleys! Trailer insuer does not cover the trailer contents. However the Harleys are insured through Bikesure and providing I notify them of dates for travel and countiries that will be visited, then the bikes are covered when on the trailer. Have an email to that effect.

So once again thanks for bringing up the issue BT and a happy ending. :)

Mick
Good to know, I’m with Harley insurance and plan on towing my hog to Faakersee Austria in sept, I’ll give em a ring(y)

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
Almost every insurer has a trailer policy, trouble is it is exactly that insurance for your trailer.

Any A framers out there depending on their insurers "trailer" cover beware
You version of a trailer ie your toad will not fit in with most insurers idea of a trailer, they have a tick box mentality towards trailers indeed they do have a tick box list of trailers and im sure you wont find your pride and joy in that list amongs the Batesons, Ifor Williams, and Brian James.
Trailers carrying cars can and do suffer exactly the same restrictions as your bikes
Some on here will swear they have it all covered, I would want it in writing, Im sure those that say they do will be happy to post proof on here
You can then join their company or see below

I know this problem can be over come with a separate goods in Transit policy at a price

I tow a car with an A-frame - I declared to the insurance company (Privilege) that I would be doing this and it has been noted on the Insurance Schedule. So I'm covered. But I admit it's a grey area.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im pretty sure if you test the waters your car is not covered, when attached to your MO HO any damage it causes to 3rd party's will be
NFU were the only insurers that would cover Car and MoHo provide they were both insured with them as a package
Happy to read documented proof that says Im incorrect Having approval and being covered are two totally different things

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
Point taken :). But I did spell out to the insurers what was required. They consulted the underwriters and came back with a loaded premium. But as with most insurance policies, there's never a problem until you try and make a claim. The policy is up for renewal soon so I'll double check - thanks for the "heads up".

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

We used to tow an Aygo via 'A' frame until recently. The car was insured via NFU because they insured it Fully Comp even when being towed. Most insurers would only insure it 3rd Party when being towed an Fully Comp otherwise. NFU did not insist we insured the Van with them.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
This is the predecessor to the one I now use when transporting either the Wing or the outfit. Not sure if it's insured or not but you now what, I don't really care, it does what I want and I accept the risk in order to enjoy life.
Trailer 015.jpg

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Mmmm, some nice rigs there.

Where did the white Excalibur trailer come from? A quick googlefication doesn't give any pointers.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Mick, did the phoenix trailer you have come from them with the tarp and frame to support it or did you source that yourself? It could be the sort of 'compromise' between cost, performance, reliability, stability and ease of use that I am looking for. As I said earlier, boxies just seem to be toooooo expensive, 3-5K, taking the piss me thinks! No wonder the poles are punting cheap alternatives like hot cakes. Mind you, it's all a bitt academic if Comfort only insure it up to 3k...decisions, decisions!

I normally tend to agree with the "ach to hell with it" comments above and not letting details get in the way of life's fun . However, in this case taking into consideration the value of my bikes and the litigious times we live in, I can't afford to be so sanguine!

I also have the luck of a titanic passenger, and I'm not talking about one that got a seat in a lifeboat. I learnt at an early age, if it can go wrong, it will.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
OHHHHH! LOL! GASP! Just found some excaliburs for sale...good job I was sitting down. I could buy another really nice bike for that kind of cash!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
They are an American design made under license in Germany on an AL-KO chassis. I think the website is excalibursport. The latest one is like a transformer, all the sides tilt away so that you have access to tie down a Smart car.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hi BT, I purchased the basic trailer with bike hoops from Phoenix, then had the frame made by a local engineering company and the cover made by another local company who make the tautliner curtians for trucks.

All worked out a lot more cost effective than the set up that Enword has, such luxury it must be to have all that SPACE :D. Not that I'm envious!

We've recently been looking at a Tickner Trailer. They have a good range but again they're in the £4-£5k range, so we're going for a new cover in a colour which matches the new PVC we now have. Very twee :)!

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back