catalytic gas heaters (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
does anyone understand the workings of them ?
i know HOW they work (basic chemical reaction i believe) but not the materials used.

i have a small heater in the RV which doesn't seem to output a lot of heat.

if i hold in the 'start' button the 'matting' appears to glow a little brighter but is extremely patchy.

could this be the catalyst is coming to the end of its life ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi PJ, willing to bet I know what it is..
See, having Gypsies in the family does help sometimes....
It is usually caused by using automotive LPG..

As you proly know it has a tiny amount of lubricant in it. That tends to build up over time and eventually partially blocks the ruddy jets.

What the travellers do is take em apart, back blast em with compressed air for a while and refit.. Almost every time it works spot on and your good for another few years :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cheers John, never gave that a thought.

i thought it would be the catalyst 'pad' was losing its platinum content.

of course, its spent all its life running on autogas so it could be the problem.

got some precision jet probes somewhere so i'll give the jet a clean and see what happens. :thumb:

if that dont work i have found a replacement which is a similar size and wall mountable.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The last one I was present for the repair you should have seen the gloop that came out of it ! I reckon half the darned feed pipe was clogged !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jaws you will soon be able to have a play with your own. hee hee . best give it a blow out before you fit it . mind it was working here. you lucky laddy .

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi John,
I know they have been mentioned before but if you ever get to Spain or happen to see one for sale on Ebay etc these Butsir catylytic heaters are excellent and a good bit cheaper than the minicat you are looking at.
A 3kg camping gaz bottle will fit if only in UK.
We always leave the roof vent open slightly and never really had any condensation problems. Never left it on overnight though but great for keeping RV warm if electricity is a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi John,
I know they have been mentioned before but if you ever get to Spain or happen to see one for sale on Ebay etc these Butsir catylytic heaters are excellent and a good bit cheaper than the minicat you are looking at.

http://ferreteriabras.opentiendas.com/tienda/calefaccion/estufa-gas-butano/estufa-gas-butsir-ld-668

A 3kg camping gaz bottle will fit if only in UK.
We always leave the roof vent open slightly and never really had any condensation problems. Never left it on overnight though but great for keeping RV warm if electricity is a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back