Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Ok, so after years of using the Tunnel and driving to Spain, with fuel and tolls going the way they are, I'm thinking about Santander.

Two BIG sticking points.
1. SWMBO is convinced that there isn't a seasickness pill on the planet that will help her!

2. When I looked at a crossing yesterday, just for a price idea, the pet friendly cabins are already sold out
for next November! That means Dougal, our currently 5 month old Persian Kitten will be in the 5ver
for the trip and the "boss" is going to want to visit him every 5 minutes!
How often can you visit the car deck & what's the procedure?

Thanks.
ps please don't come back and say avoid Autoroutes & tolls. It's simply not economical with a large(ish) 5ver up and down the box. Trust me, I've tried!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
As far as I know, access to the vehicle decks is not permitted during the voyage.
Brisey.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
As Brian has said - there is Definitely no access to the car deck once the ship has cast off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I deliberated over visiting the animals in the m/home --- why would they want me to appear, and then disappear again. And if they looked upset, what could I do? As far as I could tell, mine all got together on my bed and slept. 2 cats, 2 dogs and there were never any signs of distress on 4.5-5.5 hr crossing.
Make sure your cat has somewhere s/he can get to that he feels safe--- some like a crate to hide in, or a high shelf, his favourite blanket in a corner of a bed. Close the blinds and as long as s/he has access to litter tray, water and food will probably just sleep. My daughter swears by leaving Radio 4 on. You probably know that cats shouldn't be sedated, even mildly, as it can affect their blood pressure. I know it seems like a long crossing but cats are good at sleeping the hours away.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Holly, the Santander crossing is more than 24 hours in duration and can be quite rough and noisey.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
As far as I know, access to the vehicle decks is not permitted during the voyage.
Brisey.

That's strange cos I'm sure I read on the BF website that visits could be arranged in advance with the crew?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi Holly, the Santander crossing is more than 24 hours in duration and can be quite rough and noisey.

Sorry---- didn't realise it was that long. Is the only alternative to smuggle cat into a cabin? Put a litter tray down and all have a picnic and a long sleep?
A real dilemma.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Pets
Are you allowed to keep pets in your van and not in the kennels on the Santander run ?

I am afraid that you cannot.
Pets must be in the onboard kennels or in a pet friendly cabin whilst onboard.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
As I read the rules for Brittany Ferries and pets. Your cat can only travel in the van to France only.

If you are leaving your pet in your vehicle (sailings to and from France only)

• We strongly recommend opening your window to provide ventilation during the sailing and leaving some water for your pet.
Access to the garages during the crossing is forbidden, except when with a member of our crew.

Pet visits

All visits are subject to weather conditions and the captain reserves the right to change or refuse visits at any time. For exact visit times, please ask a member of crew at the information desk on deck 6.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Thanks for that , I thought that was the case. That's why we drive because we don't like the idea of kennels and the chance of a pet friendly cabin is slim .

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
To be honest, I would have thought you could easily sneak your cat into your cabin, nobody has ever checked my baggage between vehicle and cabin, and that's what I would do

Quells, avomine, promethazine ("Phenergen"), are all pretty effective against motion sickness (humans - NOT cats), Prochlorperazine maleate (Stemetil from your GP) is perfect, and they carry iv Stemetil on board for bad cases of sea sickness. In any case, the ships are very well stabilised

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
stowaway-cat_o_1783369.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Does your cat worry about your wife every 5 mins when its out hunting mice at night,,Ours doesn't,,it only thinks about us when it is either hungry or its cold and raining outside,,,,BUSBY:D2:D2:D2

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
On Cap Finistere cats must travel in a pet friendly cabin. On Pont Aven cats can stay in the vehicle. (if you follow through the booking process, and select Pont Aven - you'll need to check the TT - you'll see it says "cats in vehicle") As you've found out Pet Friendly cabins sell out very quickly, so the Pont is your best bet, but you are not allowed to visit the car decks. With food, water, a litter tray and her bed puss will be fine.

Sailings can also be flat calm, as our last few have been.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Ok, so after years of using the Tunnel and driving to Spain, with fuel and tolls going the way they are, I'm thinking about Santander.

Two BIG sticking points.
1. SWMBO is convinced that there isn't a seasickness pill on the planet that will help her!

2. When I looked at a crossing yesterday, just for a price idea, the pet friendly cabins are already sold out
for next November! That means Dougal, our currently 5 month old Persian Kitten will be in the 5ver
for the trip and the "boss" is going to want to visit him every 5 minutes!
How often can you visit the car deck & what's the procedure?

Thanks.
ps please don't come back and say avoid Autoroutes & tolls. It's simply not economical with a large(ish) 5ver up and down the box. Trust me, I've tried!

This link may be useful ? http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/faq/pet-travel/can-i-visit-my-pet-during-the-crossing

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Many thanks for all the advice folks. Much appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back