CaSSOA accredited storage sites (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I suspect a large amount of us use Cassoa accredited storage sites to keep our motorhomes safe only to occasionally to hear that vehicles are stolen, even from their 'Gold' level sites.
Does this mean that the accreditation of sites is meaningless? Should we be asking Cassoa to re look at how they make their assessments of individual sites. Ditto we should press site owners to up their game to be ahead of those who want to steal from us. I don't mind paying for the Gold level providing it provides the extra security not just used as a marketing tool.
We should also ask site owners to publish their performance related to break-ins or stolen vehicles, I was only told of several vehicles being stolen during a casual conversation with another motorhome owner at the storage site. Do many site owners report suspicious activity to others within the storage facility - I suspect not.
Can we put pressure on both Cassoa and storage facility owners to up their game - if so how?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Difficult for end users to put pressure on them. They earn money because insurers insist their members are used, so only insurers will be able to put pressure on them. Remember that organisations like CASSOA are trade organisations, they exist to look after the traders who pay their fees.

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Difficult for end users to put pressure on them. They earn money because insurers insist their members are used, so only insurers will be able to put pressure on them. Remember that organisations like CASSOA are trade organisations, they exist to look after the traders who pay their fees.
It still doesn't make it right. Then the pressure should be on the insurance companies to insist on better security systems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Neither my current or previous insurer insisted on a CASSOA site. NFU seem more interested in the postcode than the security but SAGA didn’t want to cover in a C&MC site, even though there was a resident Warden overlooking it.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
When we told one insurer we planned to store in a CASSOA gold site they wanted to increase our insurance as it was in a higher risk postcode! Thankfully Comfort were more sensible.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When we told one insurer we planned to store in a CASSOA gold site they wanted to increase our insurance as it was in a higher risk postcode! Thankfully Comfort were more sensible.
Not sure that this makes Comfort more sensible since this thread opened with pointing out motorhomes also get stolen from CASSOA sites. On the other hand the insurance companies know which postcodes are risky because they pool the information on thefts.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Mine is on a CASSOA site but was thinking about motorhome thefts in general........

Is it always coachbuilts that are stolen? I can't recall any A class vans, but there must be some. I suppose that the tea leaf gets more bang for his blag by stealing a coach built van plus they are also more common

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Cassoa is an organisation run for and to benefit its storage site owner members. They are no help at all to the customers. Cassoa dont even seem to make site visits to ensure security is up to standard

I was talking to a member of cassoa last year and they were planning to cancel their membership as it was costing money for nothing in return. The owners lived on site and you have to drive past their house to get in. So very secure and a long waiting list for spaces.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When I moved our van to a Cassoa gold site, my insurers wanted to increase the premium by 75%, just because of the postcode. Cassoa itself were worse than useless,although they at least replied to my email. After discussions my insurers (Comfort) agreed that no increase in premium would be required.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I’ve seen a Cassoa Gold site with sturdy looking lock on the gate but at the other end of the gate the ‘hinges’ could be removed with a 12mm spanner!

Ian

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Neither my current or previous insurer insisted on a CASSOA site. NFU seem more interested in the postcode than the security but SAGA didn’t want to cover in a C&MC site, even though there was a resident Warden overlooking it.

Safeguard used to give a discount for Cassoa secure sites but when I renewed this year it was no longer an option when you had to specify the storage location - they class it as 'driveway' and just want to know the postcode.

I phoned up to query this once I saw that the location had changed and pointed out that the postcode also covered various other offices in that part of the industrial estate, but mine was specifically in the secure site....they didn't care.

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Safeguard used to give a discount for Cassoa secure sites but when I renewed this year it was no longer an option when you had to specify the storage location - they class it as 'driveway' and just want to know the postcode.

I phoned up to query this once I saw that the location had changed and pointed out that the postcode also covered various other offices in that part of the industrial estate, but mine was specifically in the secure site....they didn't care.
I also queried Safeguard about this, and it seems they are not interested in Cassoa sites now. They said driveway parking was as good and I said I don't have a drive I would have to park on the road outside and they said that's OK, you are still covered even though I had told them that I had a van stolen 6 years ago from outside my house! And my Cassoa storage site has 3 secure barriers and I believe is very secure!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To be honest I'm no longer interested if my storage is a member of Cassoa or not. I'm more interested in what security they actually provide to protect my property - a sign saying they are Cassoa rated means nothing. Security controlled gates, copious cameras, wardens living on site, secure boundary fence beats a signpost any day!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'm more interested in what security they actually provide to protect my property - a sign saying they are Cassoa rated means nothing. Security controlled gates, copious cameras, wardens living on site, secure boundary fence beats a signpost any day!

You mean other than tiered levels of security!

What you have described in your last sentence is exactly the types of features that a Cassoa Gold rated site provides!

Ian

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You're absolutely right! But it doesn't have to be Cassao rated to provide that security does it?

Bob Clewley

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT560
Exp
since 2005
Bit late to the chat but we have just moved from a Gold CASSAO... it was awful. I doubt they are ever checked and this one had several break ins... I never felt overly happy with it but we needed a space and this was available

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Cassoa is an organisation run for and to benefit its storage site owner members. They are no help at all to the customers. Cassoa dont even seem to make site visits to ensure security is up to standard

I was talking to a member of cassoa last year and they were planning to cancel their membership as it was costing money for nothing in return. The owners lived on site and you have to drive past their house to get in. So very secure and a long waiting list for spaces.
We stored our caravan on a small site where the owner lived on the premises. He closed down the site and we had to move our van after he and his wife were threatened by one gang member, whilst the rest used cutting gear to remove the locks and stole 3 caravans.

Don't assume such sites are always safe!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back