Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Hi everyone,
We've just got back from two lovely months away in our van , Southern Ireland, South Wales, Cumbria, Scottish highlands & outer Hebrides Skye, Applecross (WOW), then back to Worcestershire via Northumberland and cumbria again. We did loads of wilding in Scotland and woke up in some truly breathtaking places.
We used roughly 8 proper campsites during that time purely to deal with emptying the thetford cassette(we carry a spare to take the panic out of it!).
I've read a lot on here about people who never go to a site for whatever reason how do they deal with their toilet waste?
I'd love to be that independant but apart from being able to crap on que whenever we pass a public loo I can't think of a way around it.
Ideas please::bigsmile:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Fit a black tank.

I can 'go' an entire week before needing to empty mine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi everyone,
We've just got back from two lovely months away in our van , Southern Ireland, South Wales, Cumbria, Scottish highlands & outer Hebrides Skye, Applecross (WOW), then back to Worcestershire via Northumberland and cumbria again. We did loads of wilding in Scotland and woke up in some truly breathtaking places.
We used roughly 8 proper campsites during that time purely to deal with emptying the thetford cassette(we carry a spare to take the panic out of it!).
I've read a lot on here about people who never go to a site for whatever reason how do they deal with their toilet waste?
I'd love to be that independant but apart from being able to crap on que whenever we pass a public loo I can't think of a way around it.
Ideas please::bigsmile:

You may well ask :RollEyes:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In this country we mostly use CSs but if 'wilding' in the Highlands of Scotland for example, we have used public loos for disposal. We have a SOG so use no chemicals which can damage a loo plumbed to a septic tank (many are in the Highlands). I normally choose a quiet time of day and look for a remote public loo. Then enter armed with rubber gloves, air freshener and the cassette. I try to leave the facility cleaner than when I entered it and smelling reasonably sweet!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Don`t do what I have heard people do...:RollEyes:

Lift a road side manhole and dump... a lot of these drains are storm drains, and a lot go back into the rivers etc where our drinking water comes from... :Blush:

Back in the old days.. :RollEyes: when we camped with the CC&C at loads of weekend rally`s in a basic field with running water, and that was it...

It was the norm to dig as deep a hole as possible at least 2 foot, under the hedgerow and dispose of our elsan`s (As in Bucket and chuck it, Bucket with a toilet seat) that way... and back fill with earth dug out... :Cool:

I suppose in an emergency that might be OK as long as it is well away from people/cattle and the like..

No doubt some will say this is not on... :hardhat::reel:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it's warming up ... :Smile:

NB

Ol' Mo says he has a sewer manhole in his drive that all are welcome to use::bigsmile:

if you cannot lift the cover.. dig a deep hole in his rose bed.. :thumb:

Last edited:

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
Hole in the ground

Up until a few years ago, at our Land Rover Club rally's, there was always an Elsan hole dug.
It was the caravan marshall's job to dig it.
They don't do it any more.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
vegetable-patch-garden-sign-167-p.jpg

It is really good fertilizer so find one of these :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When we travel around Europe every other truck stop has a dump point so it has never been an issue for us ( Tried travelling around the UK once.. that was enough for us !! )

But go back to a time not so long ago and EVERY scouting adventure event always had dug out toilet pits.. After all, it is nowt but manure ( providing you avoid chemicals )

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
after reading the last few posts A better question may be how many carry a spade ?
I admit I have emptied it in a hedge bottom no digging involved :Smile:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Actually....................

We do !!! In fact a fold up spade and two trowels .. We use them when detectoring :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
after reading the last few posts A better question may be how many carry a spade ?
I admit I have emptied it in a hedge bottom no digging involved :Smile:
terry

always carry a folding army spade.. old ww2 model with wooden handle.

and when I had the RV I carried a garden spade to aid wheel changing ..
lever under the wheel to lift the weight off the studs when removing and to align to the studs when replacing..

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
We will use disposal points where available, but providing you use additives that are septic-tank friendly, then there is no reason why cannot use public loos.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
This thread could end up in the sh.t me thinks. How about oh going into a pub order something then while your waiting get the oh to phone you in the van you come in the side door oh has already found the loo and passed on the coordinates you bring in cassette looking like a travel bag do the business and jobs done untill next time:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Someone it bound to find that you tube clip soon with a woman emptying a cassette ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We 'wild camp', 'off site camp', or whatever you want to call it!

We did so for 5 weeks last year in Ireland and were able to use public loos to empty the cassette (nothing nasty in it apart from some 'environment friendly' washing liquid and the obvious stinky stuff!). If there was an attendant we asked beforehand and never 'assumed' we could just do so, also when we visited attractions, stately homes, castles etc, we asked if we could put the contents down their loos too - were never refused anywhere. We also found they were more than willing to allow us to fill up the water too.

In the UK we do the same thing and again haven't had a problem, and obviously when abroad we can use the bornes on the aires etc.

Now we have a spare cassette which we have brought with us for our European jaunt as the cassette on our toilet isn't that big (Thetford) so as the toilet is the thing we have to do more often than anything else at least we won't have to worry if we get 'caught short'! ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How do you detect an elsan point?:winky:

The fact you have to ask shows you have led a sheltered life and I cannot possibly answer with out offending your delicate sensibilities !!! :Eeek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :wub: :whistle:

OP
OP
gibbon

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We will use disposal points where available, but providing you use additives that are septic-tank friendly, then there is no reason why cannot use public loos.
We did use the public loo at Applecross to empty the cassette. I waited till it was quiet & dark in case I was spotted. From what a few of you have said I assume that perhaps using a public loo isn't so bad as long as no evidence is left for people to moan about:thumb:
We've started using bio washing tabs as well, so I guess it's not so bad for whatever system is in place.
As an aside, after two months of monitoring content levels etc. I've come to the realisation that my wife pees like a horse first thing in the morning!For some reason she wasn't smiling when I told her ::bigsmile:
Thanks for your reponses.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We did use the public loo at Applecross to empty the cassette. I waited till it was quiet & dark in case I was spotted. From what a few of you have said I assume that perhaps using a public loo isn't so bad as long as no evidence is left for people to moan about:thumb:
We've started using bio washing tabs as well, so I guess it's not so bad for whatever system is in place.
As an aside, after two months of monitoring content levels etc. I've come to the realisation that [HI]my wife pees like a horse[/HI] first thing in the morning!For some reason she wasn't smiling when I told her ::bigsmile:
Thanks for your reponses.

[HI]Standing up???[/HI]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
A question: if there is just pee in the cassette, what is the difference in emptying it in a woodland/hedgerow and a man peeing against a tree? :wub:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back