Casserole Cooking in France- Frankie please help. (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
@yodeli - Frankie what cut of beef should I ask for in the butchers/ supermarket for slow cooking. I tried my best rubbish French today and ended up with a lovely cut of Topside. Not only expensive but not really the right stuff for the slow cooker.

Mind you I was pretty chuffed to end up with any meat as my French is so poor!

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Scan0005.jpg
Scan0006.jpg
For Braising Try Hampe or Basse Cote. Or for Stews, Macreuse a Pot-Au Feu or Boeuf- Bougnioin

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh Dear ! Sorry I never saw your post!!!

You want slow cooking but with wine or without?

Without , for just a slow cooking I take "pot au feu" (this is just cooked in cold water with vegs in for about 4 hours). So this one you just ask for "différents morceaux pour pot-au-feu". The butcher will serve you ok

If it's for a bourguignon so cooked with wine, then do the same and ask for : différents morceaux pour bourguignon.

If you go to a supermarket , you'll find the same words "pot-au-feu" or "bourguignon" . In any case you can ask for "boeuf à braiser" have a go with google translation, not for the translation but by pressing on the sound button you'll have the way to pronounce it!

I haven' read the links given by the other funsters., the iron is waiting for me and gets hot LOL!! Just giving you what "I" ask for.

Amicalement

Frankie:xsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks my dear. We are having posh topside tomorrow ( May even try Yorkshire pudding in the van), but will try your recommendations next week. There is an amazing butchers shop in the town but I was too shy to shop there so went to the supermarket, only to find a man behind the counter that needed speaking too. We don't have these complications in England.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have had this problem in France. It was a little village butchers and all the meat was kept in a refrigerator, no doubt it was good meat but it wasn't on display so you had to ask for it specifically. This is why we shop in supermarket's more often these days!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
LOL ! If you don't want any complication then write those words (I indicate in the previous post) on a paper, and add , choisissez comme pour vous (choose as if for yourself) c'est pour 2 personnes(for 2 people...unless you have decided to invite the whole campsite!) , je ne parle pas français (this one I bet you know it! but at least you won't be asked anything)

Frankie:xwink::xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know this may sound like sacrilege, but faux fillet done in the slow cooker is fabulous. Buy good sirloin with a good marble of fat and cook slowly in the slow cooker. Much better than fillet,and much cheaper.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I know this may sound like sacrilege, but faux fillet done in the slow cooker is fabulous. Buy good sirloin with a good marble of fat and cook slowly in the slow cooker. Much better than fillet,and much cheaper.
I did see that cut in the shelves but thought fillet wouldn't be good. The trouble was the shop I was in keep the meat in the fridge out of sight so I needed to know what to ask for.

I feel better equipped now ahead of the next shop. Mind you the weather is so miserable here we might pack up today and head to Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back