Cash or card (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 27, 2023
Castleford, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
What’s everybody’s preference when travelling in Europe cash or card?
We’re heading over the water shortly and don’t know if we should take some euros or just rely on card (contactless?

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We use the Currensea card wherever possible.
Some places only take cash though so worth having Euros as well.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Just back after six weeks in France.

Mostly, places will take card but there are many smaller shops (boulangeries etc) where they have a minimum spend for cards, usually €10. In smaller towns some cafes/restaurants only took cash.

We had two campsites where they said cash payment only.

Most of the fuel stations are automated but we did have a few where we had issues with credit cards being recognised. That’s easy. No fuel. Go somewhere else. Harder is where you fill up and then go into pay and the cards won’t work, so just in case cash is always handy to have!

OP
OP
Russ N Tracey
Jun 27, 2023
Castleford, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
thanks everybody. we're there for 3 weeks and judging from the response I think it'll be mainly card but take a little cash for back up.
I was only asking as we seem to be moving away from cash over here, only cash I spend is having my hair cut.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Both. We take cash, but also our Starling cards and Halifax Clarity. Plus we take our UK cards just in case, because those bloody Peage machines and the fuel machines are so fickle.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
We’re heading over the water shortly and don’t know if we should take some euros or just rely on card (contactless?
You mention contactless, perhaps need to be aware the French upper limit for contactless is €50 after that you'll need to enter pin.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Be careful in the Netherlands. Some supermarkets will not accept UK visa debit cards as they are perceived to be a credit card (Visa).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Security wise we have a Halifax clarity card that we only use in France, we leave all our other cards at home, then if it gets nicked or lost it saves any problems with having to contact your bank and stuff but in practice,touch wood, we have never had any problems, then we used it to draw cash out and use that for most things.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Its become very difficult to use cash at fuel stations.

So now its a mixture of cash for eating out and Revolut for card payments.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
When I travelled a lot for work I always took one Visa and one Mastercard card. That covered most things but I also always have a small cash float backup. Just in case. It’s got me out of a couple of potentially tricky situations. (That sounds like I’ve used it as a bribe so I’ll just emphasise that was NOT the case!)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Security wise we have a Halifax clarity card that we only use in France, we leave all our other cards at home, then if it gets nicked or lost it saves any problems with having to contact your bank and stuff but in practice,touch wood, we have never had any problems, then we used it to draw cash out and use that for most things.
Security wise we both have a clarity card but we also have a different credit or debit card each that only one of us carries so if one of us gets pick pocketed or loses their wallet we can cancel the clarity and the second card that person was using and still have one left working.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We take around €150 to €200 with us but rarely spend it all on 6 to 7 week trip pay card for nearly everything, even a €1 bottle of water in a Spanish convenance store they are happy to take a card.

Sometimes need a bit of cash in Germany not as bad as it used to be, most of the Stellaplatz now take cards.

You mention contactless, perhaps need to be aware the French upper limit for contactless is €50 after that you'll need to enter pin.
Only £40 in Spain but if you use your phone no limit like over here.
Be careful in the Netherlands. Some supermarkets will not accept UK visa debit cards as they are perceived to be a credit card (Visa).
Found a lot of ATM's won't take UK cards.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Still encountering the occasional place in France & Spain that doesn't like cards (or Revolut) for small transactions, but less so than previous years.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I use my TSB and N'wide debit cards (no charges using the N'wide card and a good exchange rate) plus a few Euros in cash for 'ice cream' money.

In the French supermarkets I've noticed that many old biddies still faff about with cheques.
Doesn't your heart sink when you are next in line and you see her fishing about in her bag , to late to move as you have unloaded your trolley, then you have to listen to her telling the cashier about her family and friends.
But even this doesn't really bother me, we are here enjoying a holiday it's all part of the life.
Chill, as they say 👍 :giggle:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Ideally get a Euro account set up before you go,
and then take both cash and cards.

It depends where you are going.

Germany, for example, is surprisingly still very much a cash country.
Even some quite large shops, restaurants and campsites are cash only still.

And as others have said in the Netherlands, a card backed by Visa or Mastercard does not work in even the biggest chain of supermarkets (Albert Heijn), and therefore also not in a lot of other places either including some campsites either.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Card - virtually universal now. A little cash for certain circumstances.

Use the right card for overseas use though. Some have fees and poor exchange rates.

Personally I use Chase debit card but others are available....

This is a good read...

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Definitely cash for Germany, dont be surprised in a restaurant if their card machine suddenly doesn't work.
Take cash and plenty of it.

Graydo

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Doesn't your heart sink when you are next in line and you see her fishing about in her bag ,
Yebbut, the cheque book is inside her cavernous purse which is inside her handbag, which is inside her shopping bag........... and then: "Who do I make it out to?" and then: "What is the date today?", and then she doesn't have a pen.
But you're right; it's both amusing and has a certain charm.
then you have to listen to her telling the cashier about her family and friends.
When I finally got to the counter in a small Bureau de Poste (having heard how others' kids were getting on at school and an update on the boil on Granny's bum) I mentioned to the cashier that she was having a busy day, to which she replied: "All the while I have a queue I have a job". I couldn't fault her logic.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Definitely cash for Germany, dont be surprised in a restaurant if their card machine suddenly doesn't work.
Take cash and plenty of it.

Graydo

I often hear this but we managed 2 weeks in Germany with minimal cash. I think the Stellplatz was the only places we used it.

OP
OP
Russ N Tracey
Jun 27, 2023
Castleford, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Thanks for the great advice. we've got cash, clarity card, Hsbc global and chase. we're only doing Spain and France this time (I think unless Tracey wants to go anywhere else)😀😀

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Had MH fridge serviced and one part replaced this morning. Q. Card or cash? A. Cash - then that will be .......It was £20 for one hour of skilled gas fitter and £14 for part.

We had just arrived without appointment and left after 1 1/2 hours.

Well pleased.

We carry all cash, but card for machines if needed. We both have separate cards, even on a joint bank account.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back