Carver Cascade not Sparking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by meexi, Jul 24, 2014.

1. meexi

meexi

Ratings:
    +103
    Hello All,

My Carver water heater has developed an unusual fault i think.

turn on gas, make sure water tank full, press button to start boiler gas valve opens but does not start clicking, swapped the Thermocoupler/igniter but did not help. I can light the gas with a lighter and it works ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Meexi

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +18,122
    Sounds like the control board if you already replaced the piezo ignitor probe

Thinking back a couple of years I saw one do the same which was a corroded earthing wire. Just maybe have a close look at the wiring and clean connections

3. meexi

meexi

Ratings:
    +103
    I will try tomorrow as i could clean the burner out at the same time

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +34,413
    If you have a Sargent type control box and head unit then I would not be at all surprised if you find the fault in there !
    When we collected the new ( to us ) van the poor buggers who were prep'ing it were pulling hair out in clumps trying to get the igniters to work..
    Eventually the fault was traced to the Sargent ( what a loads of old cods they really are !! Over complicated under engineered unnecessary piles of VERY expensive poo ) and was rewired completely by-passing the mess of the control box