Carthago windscreen (3 Viewers)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another vote for Silver Screens (there are equally good equivalents). Re heated screens: I'm a member of a car club that has bought heated windscreens for their members for a number of years now. The screens are sourced in Japan and the cost to end-users is £200 - £250. Little more in fact than a standard (un-heated) replacement.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Alanm
Thanks for that,my post was a bit tongue in cheek,allowing for the gas vents etc. My only experience of damp,was a mates new build house," Timber framed?",fair play,the builders did every thing to make it go away,but it was a burglers paradise,as all the windows and doors were open most days. The builder was the one who said it was caused by lack of Air Circulation and i think at one point,he suggested an Air circulation kit to be fitted.... LOL.
Tea Bag

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Jaguar were also owned by Ford and had the patent shared with them . The same applies to the partnership with Volvo they allowed Volvo to use the idea. Obviously the agreement still allows both Jaguar and Volvo to continue to use the screen patent unless your Volvo was built while the partnership was live.... Next ?

Our Caterham HPC, factory built in 1991, also had a heated screen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
How about the de mister pads that you use on bathroom mirrors, all sizes made and 12 volt?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Show it to us then ? Unless Ford had an agreement to use the full matrix screen they have the patent on it cant be the same.

Only on this forum do people strip apart minute details.......
Broken Link Removed

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Broken Link Removed

Show us the screen ? I mean the full matrix element heated screen ? Every car since around 50 years ago have heated screen of some sort even if its only flatulence powered.

Another topic that has gone completely off the wall with people just wishing to take things apart to prove someone wrong.

My subscription to this forum ends soon ... Wont waste my money on re joining,,

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Hi Alanm
Thanks for that,my post was a bit tongue in cheek,allowing for the gas vents etc. My only experience of damp,was a mates new build house," Timber framed?",fair play,the builders did every thing to make it go away,but it was a burglers paradise,as all the windows and doors were open most days. The builder was the one who said it was caused by lack of Air Circulation and i think at one point,he suggested an Air circulation kit to be fitted.... LOL.
Tea Bag
I knew it was, but as I am trying to de damp our house, I got the bit between my teeth!
I just ordered a PIV kit for the house to see if that help with high humidity, but I think it needs to be connected to Brittany in its entirety to work properly!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I knew it was, but as I am trying to de damp our house, I got the bit between my teeth!
I just ordered a PIV kit for the house to see if that help with high humidity, but I think it needs to be connected to Brittany in its entirety to work properly!

Hi.
That PIV Kit,appears to be the thing the builder was recommending,so he was right (The builder) LOL. The mate thought he was............../having a laugh and this was some years ago. Builder 1. My mate 0.
He sold it a while back and was going to Spain after his wife passed over,better c heck up where the old dog is.
Thanks for the info,thats me learnt something new today.
Tea Bag

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
do you get this problem on all A class motorhomes?

Its not restricted to A classes, all MHs get it to some extent.

Our A class has a huge windscreen and like every other the same suffers terrible condensation.
Cure is easy a set of Silverscreens they work perfectly and when fitted absolutely no condensation.
Dont see towels or karcher as sensible solutions as both are only a means of cleaning up the mess. Also the condensation causes all sorts of damage prevention is the best method eg Silverscreens.

We have both internal blinds and silver screens. The latter work brilliantly, but condensation will always be an issue if they aren't used. Most A class windscreens are too big or too far away from the blower vents to desist effectively in a short time, so if we anticipate a need then the Karcher window vac goes in and it is sorted in less than 2 minutes

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Show us the screen ? I mean the full matrix element heated screen ? Every car since around 50 years ago have heated screen of some sort even if its only flatulence powered.

Another topic that has gone completely off the wall with people just wishing to take things apart to prove someone wrong.

My subscription to this forum ends soon ... Wont waste my money on re joining,,
Stop being a 'proper Charlie' Charlie!!!! :D Instead of being peed off with it all, get yourself a nice big bag of popcorn then sit back and watch the 'filmshow'! :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have heavy internal curtains that clip around the inside. I'd never put anything on the outside whilst travelling , although I've never had problems anywhere except in the UK.

Are you sure the patent rights are still active? We have a Kia and a Citroen both with heated windscreens, although the Kia has just the bottom half heated to stop the wipers sticking to the screen. Both windscreens clear very quickly.

The Kia , is heated to stop the wipers freezing to the screen . Mine has it . It is not a heated screen. Even here on a frosty morning You'd still be waiting for the screen to clear an hour later. Sun would be quicker.

Ah, ok, never been in that situation myself, must be fussy where we park.
I've only ever had a problem in the Uk . Usually Itinerants.

My 2014 Volvo XC70 has an electrically heated windscreen.

They were some years ago but not now.
The still are. Usually 30 years as norm.

I always thought that a patent only lasted 10 years, ie Yamahas EXUP valve and dysons cyclone thingy...
But I could be wrong..
30 would be the norm as you'd be lucky to get development money ,etc; back in 10 with some patents.

Jag and Ford may have a patent on a particular design but there are many types. I particularly like the type that has a microscopically thin gold film in the laminate.
AS @Charlie siad ; the patent is owned by Ford, Others who use it now were at one time owned by Ford's. Like Volvo, land-rover, jaguar etc:

Our Caterham HPC, factory built in 1991, also had a heated screen.

Lotus = Ford except when they used the rover tat & then went back to ford.:D

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Stop being a 'proper Charlie' Charlie!!!! :D Instead of being peed off with it all, get yourself a nice big bag of popcorn then sit back and watch the 'filmshow'! :LOL:

Mmmm maybe I am being a Charlie but I'm proper pissed of with this forum now.. I stopped posting on detailing matters cos I just don't think it's worth the effort but now I get so many PMs asking off forum it's daft and I'm not ignorant so I answer them.

There is no way I will be subscribing here again it's like kids playground half the time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mmmm maybe I am being a Charlie but I'm proper pissed of with this forum now.. I stopped posting on detailing matters cos I just don't think it's worth the effort but now I get so many PMs asking off forum it's daft and I'm not ignorant so I answer them.

There is no way I will be subscribing here again it's like kids playground half the time.
:(

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

Come on Charlie, you would be a great loss to the forum. In all aspects of life you will find idiots. For example, I doubt that you would give up your driving license because of all the idiots on our roads. Fun is no different, there are idiots on here too, and we all know who they are. Some offering advice on subjects they know nothing about, others making crass, unnecessary, nasty comments for no apparent reason whatsoever. Try to ignore these people who seem to spend their entire sad lives behaving like this. There are far more knowledgeable and sensible people on here who don't "hog" the forum like many of the idiots seem to do.

Personally, I have found your posts on cleaning, polishing, "detailing" invaluable. I, for one, have learned an awful lot from you Charlie. Indeed, your advice led me to buying Collinite wax with which I am extremely pleased. Where this subject is concerned, you very obviously do know what you are talking about so don't let the idiots get to you. I am sure that if an eminent brain surgeon was to give advice on here someone would know better.

DON'T GO CHARLIE

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Our Transit based van has a heated windscreen, easy peasy to clear in the morning, start engine and turn on. Although we use external screens anyway and never have an issue. On a £100k van I would have thought heated screen would be included.
I think Ford holds the Patent on that fine wire heated screens so no one else can have them.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Opening a roof vent will make a dramatic difference

Join us or log in to post a reply.