Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't understand that part, we always use our Silver Screens and put them on as soon as we notice the screen misting over. In the summer, we will use the internal screens, unless it's very hot and the sun is shining on the screen, then the external screens go on again.
You're one of the few who do then, not one of the many who don't. It is rare to see a MH on an aire with external screens on, sometimes internal ones though.

We have been on the odd aire before when we've decided to move although this is very much the exception - the last time was when it was a lovely quiet spot next to the beach but the local town a few km away had a massive disco that started up late at night and by 1.00 am we'd had enough! Had we used external screens we'd have had to try to remove them in the dark (no lighting) in our pjs ... er, no thanks!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Its the basic laws of physics. Warm moist air hits cold surface and moisture from the air condenses.
However with a £100k+ motorhome. They should provide top quality thermal screens.
They are not really Carthago now they are Burstners. I loved the old style real Carthagos, they were amazing quality.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Are you sure the patent rights are still active? We have a Kia and a Citroen both with heated windscreens, although the Kia has just the bottom half heated to stop the wipers sticking to the screen. Both windscreens clear very quickly.

Ford have the patent for the full matrix type screen where all of the screen has that fine element that you can only see in certain light.. Quite different to the other types out there. I believe it possible to get away with certain copy or partial copy but step over the line and litigation would follow.

I've had a few Fords and Jags with that brilliant screen and miss it very much on the cars we have now.

Whilst the heated screen clears frost in no time I would question how much condensation it's capable of clearing. But I have never used one for that .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Would it help if they supplied a towel ? :D
that would be usefull,normally by the time i get there they have a bucket beneath it catching the drip, usually its the anti condensation pump thats gone up the swanny or the drain hoses are blocked, dont half make a mess when its dripped onto on of those white ceiling tiles:D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got a Carthago A class - the quick and easy way to keep the windscreen clear of condensation is to use a Karcher Window Vac. Takes less than a minute and works a treat
Better than lugging screen covers about, especially if it's been pouring with rain an they're wet and dirty
Carthago do make external screen covers, but you shouldn't need them if you have a window vac

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You're one of the few who do then, not one of the many who don't. It is rare to see a MH on an aire with external screens on, sometimes internal ones though.

We have been on the odd aire before when we've decided to move although this is very much the exception - the last time was when it was a lovely quiet spot next to the beach but the local town a few km away had a massive disco that started up late at night and by 1.00 am we'd had enough! Had we used external screens we'd have had to try to remove them in the dark (no lighting) in our pjs ... er, no thanks!
It must be the Aires others go to, we aren't particularly picky, but choose Aires we like the look of and have never felt worried. it has never occurred tome that we might want to leave an aire or anywhere else in a hurry, and we have been motor homing on and off since 1987. We always walk our dogs last thing before we go to bed and most other people in their vans have gone to bed. I have noticed that many foreign vehicles have internal blinds but plenty put screens of one type and another on the outside. A couple of nights ago we were at an aire at Val Andre in Brittany. All foreign vans but us, ( about 6 in all, ) 4 with external screens and 2 with internal blinds.
But, I see your point. Each to their own and if you feel safer doing what you do, that's fine.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If you have external screens then yes but if you're on an aire etc then most people won't use them .

Why would I not use external screens on an Aire if I have them that just doesn't make any sense at all. :eek::eek:
We have been staying on Aires all over Europe for 8 to 10 years and use our external screens whenever needed as do loads of others.
Far better than clearing up the mess condensation causes.:rolleyes:
Don't understand that part, we always use our Silver Screens and put them on as soon as we notice the screen misting over. In the summer, we will use the internal screens, unless it's very hot and the sun is shining on the screen, then the external screens go on again.

Same here

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Ford and Jaguar have the patent rights to heated front screens. Jaguar only have it because they were once owned by Ford.
The heated screen is an awesome invention and so many manufacturers would be copying and using it but they can't ....
My 2014 Volvo XC70 has an electrically heated windscreen.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Our similarly priced Carthago started with the same problem and to some extent still has it. However we have found that:

1. Initially it was not fully dry inside but with use (airing) the problem reduced.
2. Leaving a 2" gap between the top and bottom of the screen blind allows some air circulation which helps reduce the problem.
3. When it is really cold we leave the heating on overnight set at 16C.
4. The external blind is a pain in the arse.
5. Hymer have the best idea. They have double heater vents and the lower edge of the screen blind sits between them so it is heated on both sides and the screen stays warm and clear.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As Charlie says it's just pretty basic physics, and it's not how much you pay that dictates the amount of condensation you get on the screen, if you paid closer to £200k though and bought a Concorde or Morelo or even a Niesmann+Bischoff Flair with the Alde heating system they have an insulated aluminium roller blind and then the heating system has convectors between this and the screen, which I would guess would go a low way towards eradicating the problem.

We have the blind but not the heating convectors but have very few problems with condensation, if it's freezing outside the screen will steam up with the blind up, there again we use the best and cheapest solution and that is ventilation.

Martin

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Silverscreens don't just stop condensation. They also stop the windscreen from radiating cold at you as you sit in the captain's chairs. Much cosier. :Smile:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Silverscreens don't just stop condensation. They also stop the windscreen from radiating cold at you as you sit in the captain's chairs. Much cosier. :Smile:
Correct, but they stop you seeing out as well so I only put them on if it is really cold, I like the A class screen for the view while driving but also while parked up.

Martin

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We've had some chilly nights on this trip but our Carthago screen has had very little condensation on the inside. The pull down blind has some insulation and there are two large heater vents on top of the dash that feed air both sides of the blind.
Haven't had to resort to the window vac yet but did run the engine for a few minutes before driving off this morning.
Just make sure there is a little ventilation at night and be sure to open the vent over the kitchen area when cooking. Job done. :)

Richard.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
They were some years ago but not now.

Jaguar were also owned by Ford and had the patent shared with them . The same applies to the partnership with Volvo they allowed Volvo to use the idea. Obviously the agreement still allows both Jaguar and Volvo to continue to use the screen patent unless your Volvo was built while the partnership was live.... Next ?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Correct, but they stop you seeing out as well so I only put them on if it is really cold, I like the A class screen for the view while driving but also while parked up.

Martin

But with the captain's chairs turned towards the lounge you've got your back to any view out of the windscreen .........

Reactions: f6c

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We've had some chilly nights on this trip but our Carthago screen has had very little condensation on the inside. The pull down blind has some insulation and there are two large heater vents on top of the dash that feed air both sides of the blind.
Haven't had to resort to the window vac yet but did run the engine for a few minutes before driving off this morning.
Just make sure there is a little ventilation at night and be sure to open the vent over the kitchen area when cooking. Job done. :)

Richard.

The level of condensation range can be enormous. It can be down to how many occupants and what they are doing :D Plus if they are cooking a.. Are there windows open ? Level of ventilation ? The list is endless.

Add in no two sets of circumstances will be the same. Different outside temperatures and the variation in how low or high we have the heating.

All will give a massively differeing amount of the actual water forming on the inside of the screen.

Anyway...... Why is it deemed the cost of the motorhome makes a difference ? Our van when new cost half what the OP paid but are we not entitled to the same level of condensation control. :sneaky:

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Ford have the patent for the full matrix type screen where all of the screen has that fine element that you can only see in certain light.. Quite different to the other types out there. I believe it possible to get away with certain copy or partial copy but step over the line and litigation would follow.

I've had a few Fords and Jags with that brilliant screen and miss it very much on the cars we have now.

Whilst the heated screen clears frost in no time I would question how much condensation it's capable of clearing. But I have never used one for that .

I always thought that a patent only lasted 10 years, ie Yamahas EXUP valve and dysons cyclone thingy...
But I could be wrong..

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Jag and Ford may have a patent on a particular design but there are many types. I particularly like the type that has a microscopically thin gold film in the laminate.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I always thought that a patent only lasted 10 years, ie Yamahas EXUP valve and dysons cyclone thingy...
But I could be wrong..

No your right but when the person or company takes out a patent they can reserve first option on it when the expiry date is due...

Suzuki came up with the SET valve just as Yamahas patent ran out. Yamaha were reputed to have had the option to renew but thought the exhaust valve was getting a little outdated. On our race bikes the EXUP valve was one of the first things we ditched.

I have recently parted with two Fords both with heated screens.. How I missed that option when it was frosty last week ! One of the best and most popular options on Ford vehicles !

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Jag and Ford may have a patent on a particular design but there are many types. I particularly like the type that has a microscopically thin gold film in the laminate.

I said just that above ! Take a look its there. No one yet has come up with an instant frost remover anywhere near as good as the full matrix element screen . There have been a few attempts but none that work as well.. There has been much criticism of those screens with the strange films on them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought the Ford patent ran out a couple of years ago.
Heated screens are on Hymers option list for A Class vans.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I thought the Ford patent ran out a couple of years ago.
Heated screens are on Hymers option list for A Class vans.

Heated screens come in all shapes and sizes. Only Ford and the other car manufacturers they are or were in partnership have the full electric matrix . Ford retain the patent at this time.

Last edited:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Whatever happened to those old electric de-misters on cars?

Can't remember if they had a proper name, but they looked like a strip of aluminium with a black rubber sucker at each end.

Superseded by today's technology and power-hungry, but a precursor to today's heated screens perhaps (albeit stuck to the interior of the windscreen)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Whatever happened to those old electric de-misters on cars?

Can't remember if they had a proper name, but they looked like a strip of aluminium with a black rubber sucker at each end.

Superseded by today's technology and power-hungry, but a precursor to today's heated screens perhaps (albeit stuck to the interior of the windscreen)

They melted them for scrap to make caravans with :D:D

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Hi.
Air flow. You have spent a lot of money and you have got an A class,thats air tight,so that's one point in its favour. So you need to circulate air around. Happens sometimes in houses.
Tea Bag
It should not be air tight, since 1998 there have been regulations governing the minimum level of ventilation in new motorhomes and caravans, so, there must be a through flow of air otherwise you would suffocate.
Lack of ventilation can cause condensation to build up which will make an already humid interior worse.
Apparently, the new regulations are designed to help retain heat and reduce draughts.
Our van ( excluding the cab) has 5 side windows and 5 roof lights, all of which are vented and as they are a mixture of Dometic and Remis I should think they are the same that all other British and European vans are fitted with.
We get condensation on the windscreen if it is colder outside than inside so use our Silver Screens.
No need for anything else.
We have a house in Brittany that suffers from high humidity in Winter ( as do most French houses here) we have new double glazed argon filled windows with shutters and trickle vents to reduce humidity but even with no one in the house, furnishings can get damp and musty. The answer is, in new build houses that are designed to be airtight, a whole house ventilation system and in older less insulated houses, a PIV or positive input ventilation system.
So, ventilation is a must. Without it, humidity will be high and condensation will be worse.
Right, I'm getting off my soapbox right now! :getmecoat:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back