CARTHAGO WARRANTY/NOT WARRANTY - HELP (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Our Carthago is nearly 2 years old and oh what a 2yrs. Not to bore you with all the details, we now find ourselves with no satellite system (broken LNB), grey water tank with broken tap lever, Solar regulator not working, Seat adjustment lever loose, these are in addition to previous warranty work undertaken.
We have been waiting for the part for the Teleco Satellite System for over 8 weeks, and the Carthageo Grey Water Tap Lever over 7 weeks.
The Dealer(GMC) has stated they have no influence in when the parts will arrive as it is out of their control.
We spend all our savings on what we think is a quality product but it is no different to the Motor Trade in the last century.
Any useful ideas to resolve would be welcome.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Contact Carthago direct? Although satellite is not theirs I guess but they should help with delivery time on the tap I would have thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would think new factory sales output takes priority over warranty parts distribution any day of the week.
Theres no money for the factory in warranty work.
They have the money from the original vehicle sale therefore they couldn't care less how long you have to wait.
This isn't the dealers fault if the factory shits on them.

Reactions: f6c
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
wouldnt think the grey water tap needs much , cant you put another one on from a scrap place or ebay.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
wouldnt think the grey water tap needs much , cant you put another one on from a scrap place or ebay.

Don’t know if it’s that simple, the handle on the one on my Hymer is on the end of a rod which goes off into the double floor to the tank, not an easy one . The Carthago could be similar.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
LNB will be cheap and easy .. If it was me I would just get it changed.
As Chaser says, same with the tap..

Dont like the dealers getting away with things but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Not good to hear about Carthago :(

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Most of mainland Europe are on hols during August, so generally short-staffed.

Don't bother contacting Carthago HQ direct, they only redirect you to your local dealer.

The Carthago warranty is only for the base vehicle.... not all the other bits and pieces that may have been installed by your dealer. These extra items will be covered by a separate warranty by the individual manufacturer.

Expect you know all this. Nevertheless, having a rant can sometimes make you feel better :D

OP
OP
TheTwoMs
Jun 25, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
your right about the rant. don't like the dealer getting away with it either but I may have to bite the bullet and go elsewhere. The tap lever is located inside rear of van between floor.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If you are a member of the Carthago Owners Club contact them they have a fair bit of clout with Carthago.

Known as Carthago Owners UK (COUK). They carry out a quarterly review of all UK dealers, gathered from information supplied by members each quarter, based on customer experience of sales/orders/delivery/warranty work/after sales service. The info is presented in an easy to understand vertical bar chart.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If its any consolation we also had quite a few problems with our new Carthago, also supplied and serviced by GMC.
Most faults were minor but irritating when you spend an awful lot of your hard earned on a 'top of the range' van.
We have always found GMC to be nice people but there always seem to be delays with parts from Germany.
All our faults were dealt with under warranty and, touch wood, 18 months after the warranty expired everything had been fine.
Get the bugs sorted and yours will also be OK and you can relax and enjoy.
As @Lenny HB & @Wagoneer suggested, join Carthago Owners UK if not already a member.

Richard. (C-line 5.0 with 38k very happy miles under her belt)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sorry to hear of your woes.

I feel for dealers in this kind of situation, but they have chosen to work with these suppliers so should try to ‘fill the gap’. As the country’s biggest seller of Carthago, GMC ought to have some clout and more than I’d expect the owner’s club to have. Carthago sell a lot of vans in a lot of countries and it might be that they don’t value the British market as highly as their others.

Parts not manufactured by Carthago ought to be obtainable directly but, maybe there is some kind of financial arrangement between them for warranty work. Try to reason with GMC. There may be a solution but one is less likely to be forthcoming if your demands appear unreasonable to them.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry to hear of your problems it is not synonymous to Cathargo but most brands.
We chose to put all but major things right ourselves.

Some of the parts we needed took weeks rather than the two day delivery the manufacturer promises.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
You would think as the largest Carthago dealer GMC would have some clout with the manufacturer but they obviously don't. I had a chat with one of their guys at a show and he was complaining bitterly that Carthago had refused to allow them to sell their new Malibu coach built and A class range in the UK, which as the aforesaid largest dealer I guess they had assumed they were going to be first choice to do.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Again, it’s got nothing to do with Carthago. Your contract is with the dealer, and the fact that they can’t get parts is not your problem. Give the dealer hell. :gum:

Last edited:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We love our Carthago but I’m not sure we would buy another one we are also waiting for parts. We got fed up with waiting so we asked if we could take it back to the factory six weeks ago the dealer has still not heard back from the Carthago service centre yet lol .

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
We’re in our second Carthago, yes expensive,
Yes has faults mostly with items fitted manufactured by others which you would have with any MH manufacturer.
MH is a mixture of parts but the basic structure made by Carthago is very good. Our experience of GMC to date has been very good on supply & service.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Again, it’s got nothing to do with Carthago. Your contract is with the dealer, and the fact that they can’t get parts is not your problem. Give the dealer hell. :gum:
Agreed Mike, but that's like giving your milkman a kicking because the cows aren't giving milk.
It's not the milkman fault and he can't make the cows produce milk.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Carthago Team

Jochen Riess
Head of Technical Customer
Service/Technique

try

Jochen.Riess@carthago.com

He's on holiday in Ibiza, saw him putting out his towel yesterday morning at 4am.

They'll all be back soon, well next week at least once they are back from their hols. Lead time on getting some glass cut here is 8wks in summer, 2wks normally.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Agreed Mike, but that's like giving your milkman a kicking because the cows aren't giving milk.
It's not the milkman fault and he can't make the cows produce milk.

I know Uncle PPJ but you have to do something other than sitting around waiting for other people and being given the run around. Or at least I would. :gum:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Our Carthago is nearly 2 years old and oh what a 2yrs. Not to bore you with all the details, we now find ourselves with no satellite system (broken LNB), grey water tank with broken tap lever, Solar regulator not working, Seat adjustment lever loose, these are in addition to previous warranty work undertaken.
We have been waiting for the part for the Teleco Satellite System for over 8 weeks, and the Carthageo Grey Water Tap Lever over 7 weeks.
The Dealer(GMC) has stated they have no influence in when the parts will arrive as it is out of their control.
We spend all our savings on what we think is a quality product but it is no different to the Motor Trade in the last century.
Any useful ideas to resolve would be welcome.

Good old Carthago. So sorry you're having problems with a so called quality product but the jury is out on that statement. I found the warranty disgusting with the dealer offering no help or support. I sourced replacement parts myself and managed to repair a lot of problems. The drop down bed that wouldn't stay up was a challenge to repair but managed. Best to try yourself otherwise you'll have month's of frustration. Remember all the dealer is interested in is the profit when you purchase. I gather Carthagos warranty rate to the dealer is disgusting so repair work is not top of the list.
Ive had all the crap you've had plus a few other breakages. Now I have water coming into the garage. Can't find the entry point but it appears to be the aluminium bead that runs up the sides and accros the top. The rear panel is also letting in water at the sides and base/bumper.
I've owned 13 motorhomes over 38 years and unfortunately the Carthago is the biggest pile of rubbish I've owned. Totally overrated and very expensive to repair. I assume you haven't had any habitation door problems yet but that IS expensive.
Good luck with your future ownership.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Ist annual service update, Carthago C Tourer 148H dealers Chelstons Motorhomes Wellington Somerset.
Just returned from having service done while I waited, arrived 8AM, handed over keys, left at 1.45PM
My reported faults, were Wardrobe light not working, Fiat Brakes felt spongy from day 1.
Handover at 1.30PM, Brakes tested and performance graph presented with other paperwork, so they had put it on the rolling road and test driven to check brakes performance, need to get my head around percentages given, so assume all is "within limits", but still could be sharper IMHO.
They found a couple of things that needed adjustment that I had not noticed, water pump pulsating....so remedied that by adjustment to flow regulator.
Hartal internal door hab door latch, loose, so tightened up & adjusted.
Replaced batteries in NS wardrobe door light.
No other faults found, no water ingress anywhere, no cabinet doors loose, no cracked shower trays, and no sagging cushions,front & side blinds all perfect.
All paperwork was completed with hundreds of ticks against the long list of service checks both inside & out, all would appear to have passed. Nice lady was sticking the Carthago Black sticker inside the log book, saying that Carthago charge them £60 for each label which they have to pass onto the customer. I asked WHY, she said it was to ensure that Carthago clients get their vehicles serviced by "Carthago Approved service Centres" and not anyone else, as doing this would void the Carthago Ingress Warranty.:eek:
I then asked if any other manufacturer did the same in charging for service stickers, she was unsure of this, but suggested that maybe Hymer did similar?:unsure:
I was the presented with a lovely smile, along with an invoice for £350 inc Vat,covering all work all including the service sticker.
I then presented my 3 year Free Service Voucher to her (given as part of the sale deal) and unfortunately saw her lovely smile disappear, to be replaced instantaneously with a frown. I was then asked if I informed them of the free service voucher when I booked the appointment, I said no, as I was never asked that question:D(y)(y)(y) I drove home with a smile on my face, long day, 268 mile return journey, horrendous traffic on return route A303 (3 hour delays) but happy and worth the journey.
Les

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Ist annual service update, Carthago C Tourer 148H dealers Chelstons Motorhomes Wellington Somerset.
Just returned from having service done while I waited, arrived 8AM, handed over keys, left at 1.45PM
My reported faults, were Wardrobe light not working, Fiat Brakes felt spongy from day 1.
Handover at 1.30PM, Brakes tested and performance graph presented with other paperwork, so they had put it on the rolling road and test driven to check brakes performance, need to get my head around percentages given, so assume all is "within limits", but still could be sharper IMHO.
They found a couple of things that needed adjustment that I had not noticed, water pump pulsating....so remedied that by adjustment to flow regulator.
Hartal internal door hab door latch, loose, so tightened up & adjusted.
Replaced batteries in NS wardrobe door light.
No other faults found, no water ingress anywhere, no cabinet doors loose, no cracked shower trays, and no sagging cushions,front & side blinds all perfect.
All paperwork was completed with hundreds of ticks against the long list of service checks both inside & out, all would appear to have passed. Nice lady was sticking the Carthago Black sticker inside the log book, saying that Carthago charge them £60 for each label which they have to pass onto the customer. I asked WHY, she said it was to ensure that Carthago clients get their vehicles serviced by "Carthago Approved service Centres" and not anyone else, as doing this would void the Carthago Ingress Warranty.:eek:
I then asked if any other manufacturer did the same in charging for service stickers, she was unsure of this, but suggested that maybe Hymer did similar?:unsure:
I was the presented with a lovely smile, along with an invoice for £350 inc Vat,covering all work all including the service sticker.
I then presented my 3 year Free Service Voucher to her (given as part of the sale deal) and unfortunately saw her lovely smile disappear, to be replaced instantaneously with a frown. I was then asked if I informed them of the free service voucher when I booked the appointment, I said no, as I was never asked that question:D(y)(y)(y) I drove home with a smile on my face, long day, 268 mile return journey, horrendous traffic on return route A303 (3 hour delays) but happy and worth the journey.
Les

Ha, ha, great stuff Les, if you had informed them beforehand then it would have been a different story, I would have done exactly the same.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Or you could have taken it to Go European where I have no idea what they did to my Carthago as I got no paperwork of any kind whatsoever in exchange for my large sum of money, just the black sticker and an "everything was fine" comment.

Reactions: maz
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Or you could have taken it to Go European where I have no idea what they did to my Carthago as I got no paperwork of any kind whatsoever in exchange for my large sum of money, just the black sticker and an "everything was fine" comment.

Was your bill also £350

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back