Carthago TV Sound to Head unit/Stereo (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I wired my head unit to the habitation battery using a simple switch with an LED for the power on and directly for the back up power via fuses of course!

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
My Compactline is wired to both. It runs normally from the engine battery when the ignition is on but is alternatively powered from the leisure battery when entertainments is switched on at the control panel.
I think you'll find that switching on the ignition turns on the whole entertainments circuit - on mine the switch lamp on the control panel comes on when the ignition is on, and the circuits in the back come on as well. The 'always on' power source could come from either battery in this situation and I'm fairly sure it wouldn't change according to which method was used to turn on the radio.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I think you'll find that switching on the ignition turns on the whole entertainments circuit - on mine the switch lamp on the control panel comes on when the ignition is on, and the circuits in the back come on as well. The 'always on' power source could come from either battery in this situation and I'm fairly sure it wouldn't change according to which method was used to turn on the radio.
Never heard of that before, as in "ignition on entertainment on". Sounds like it could be a reverse feed...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
As I am beginning to sort the M/H for the first trip since March 2020 I thought I would check out your above statement as I m genuinely interested. I would not normally get up from the driving position and check that the control panel was on or off and to be honest when I am travelling it is normal for me to be on the move for up to 4 months at a time and so I wouldn't even bother turning it off.

However I found today that if I turn the control panel off and the ignition on the head unit comes on . I then checked the control panel and no lights were on so I checked almost everything electrical connected to the control panel and nothing was live. I then turned off the ignition and the head unit went off, turned on the control panel and entertainment switch and the head unit came on which would support the theory that Pausim has suggested about the Compactline wiring.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
As I am beginning to sort the M/H for the first trip since March 2020 I thought I would check out your above statement as I m genuinely interested. I would not normally get up from the driving position and check that the control panel was on or off and to be honest when I am travelling it is normal for me to be on the move for up to 4 months at a time and so I wouldn't even bother turning it off.

However I found today that if I turn the control panel off and the ignition on the head unit comes on . I then checked the control panel and no lights were on so I checked almost everything electrical connected to the control panel and nothing was live. I then turned off the ignition and the head unit went off, turned on the control panel and entertainment switch and the head unit came on which would support the theory that Pausim has suggested about the Compactline wiring.
That is how it is supposed to work so good news. Always worth checking for a drain on the cab battery when ignition is off and has on, it has been known for the head to run off the cab battery when it shouldn't.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
However I found today that if I turn the control panel off and the ignition on the head unit comes on . I then checked the control panel and no lights were on so I checked almost everything electrical connected to the control panel and nothing was live. I then turned off the ignition and the head unit went off, turned on the control panel and entertainment switch and the head unit came on which would support the theory that @Pausim has suggested about the Compactline wiring.
That is how it was explained to me at handover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
However I found today that if I turn the control panel off and the ignition on the head unit comes on . I then checked the control panel and no lights were on so I checked almost everything electrical connected to the control panel and nothing was live. I then turned off the ignition and the head unit went off, turned on the control panel and entertainment switch and the head unit came on which would support the theory that @Pausim has suggested about the Compactline wiring.

That is how it was explained to me at handover.

Intriguing! I checked what mine was doing before posting my earlier remarks, and as far as I know, it has always done that. The way you describe yours is clearly more logical, so I wonder if the chap who fitted my replacement radio head unit introduced a reverse feed in doing so. Any such feed doesn't seem to work in the opposite direction, though.

As I use the entertainment circuit to charge the mifi, shaver and toothbrush in the back, and as everything otherwise seems to work, I think I won't bother investigating! Thanks for your information, folks. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back