CARTHAGO STAND - NEC SHOW, Funsters Offer! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When the first van you look in, in their flagship showroom has a chip out of the worktop, all the kitchen draw catches were sticking and very difficult to open & close the draws & of course the shower tray creaked. I went and asked the salesman if it was a used van and did they have a new one of that model, Looked at me with a blank expression until he realised I was serious, I think at first he thought I was winding him up.

As for the shower trays every single one creaked even in the €200,000 e-liner.

P.S. For all that extra cash you don't even get a leather steering wheel, gear knob & gator like in my cheapo Hymer.:D
You should google 'Hymer shower problems' makes interesting reading

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you saying you are a bit on the heavy side lenny?(n)
Cheeky, I'm only 74 kg wife about 42 kg even creaked when she stood in them, very badly fitted all the same in about 20 different vans. They also have a gloss finish which will scratch easy and look terrible after a few year use.
After saying all that has not put me off them just a bit disappointing. If only you could have the good points of both Carthago & Hymer in one van it would be a cracker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You should google 'Hymer shower problems' makes interesting reading
Minor compared to the number of Hymer's produced & mostly with vans produced before Carthago was even thought of. When there have been problems on more recent vans even though well out of warranty, Hymer have offered to contribute towards the cost. Would Carthago do this?
I have only had 2 Hymers both showers have been very good with no problems at all. We are very criticle of showers in vans as we use them every day we are in the van.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Minor compared to the number of Hymer's produced & mostly with vans produced before Carthago was even thought of, when there have been problems on more recent vans even though well out of warranty Hymer have offered to contribute towards the cost. Would Carthago do this?
I have only had 2 Hymers both showers have been very good with no problems at all.
May be minor in your opinion Lenny but if you were the unfortunate owner of one of the problem vans you may think differently.
Your experience of two vans is sadly not very statistically accurate.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Another problem my mate has had is his alloy wheels are corroding fair doos Carthago are replacing them without question, but in my experience all German manufacturers respond like that.

Note: Wheels were British made and Carthago have had to replace most of the wheels from that manufacturer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
May be minor in your opinion Lenny but if you were the unfortunate owner of one of the problem vans you may think differently.
Your experience of two vans is sadly not very statistically accurate.
I did not say it was a minor problem what I said was it was a minor amount compared to the number of Hymers produced, they are by far the largest manufacturer in Europe and have been making vans since the 60's so a few web reports of cracked trays is very minor probably fractions of a percent. The amount of Carthago's around is minimal by comparison.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Maybe you could cut a couple in half and weld em together- wish half do you want in front?

For me.....carthago, front real pretty, but like real life good looks alone can be overrated:)

Last edited:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We looked long and hard before we made our decision. The longer we looked, the harder it got. We looked at and sat in loads of vans, studied mobile.de, went to the shows, read the forums - both British and German and so it went on.
We liked both. Carthago had the' wow factor,' Hymer was more of a known quantity. I liked the cabinetry of the Carthago, Graham didn't like the bathrooms (as per discussions in this thread!) My heart said Carthago. Our heads said Hymer.
I really believe that whichever we had chosen, we would have liked. Both are quality products.
Carthago was slightly more expensive - but only slightly on mobile.de.
In the end, we knew we just had to make a decision. We agreed that on the following day, we would both say what our decision was. We went with Hymer. We're not risk-takers. Not that I think Carthago would have been a risk.
We love the Hymer. It really is a pleasure. But I'm sure we'd have loved a Carthago if we'd gone that way.
It's so easy to 'over think' things, especially when you're trying to decide between two good products.
At the end of the day, you just have to make your decision, no looking back, and go with it.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For me.....carthago, front real pretty, but like real life good looks alone can be overrated:)
I like the front of the Carthago C line too, in particular I like the driving seats. They give a very comfortable ride. The ones in our Bessie used to send my bum to sleep after an hour or so, being standard van seats.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I did not say it was a minor problem what I said was it was a minor amount compared to the number of Hymers produced, they are by far the largest manufacturer in Europe and have been making vans since the 60's so a few web reports of cracked trays is very minor probably fractions of a percent. The amount of Carthago's around is minimal by comparison.
I can understand that Lenny
I'm pretty sure that whether people buy a Hymer or a Carthago that they can be pretty sure of getting a decent van.
I guess it's a case of deciding which one ticks most boxes for you, and that's very subjective.
If I hadn't seen the Carthago I probably would have bought a Hymer.
Looks like there are going to be some decent discounts available on these 'show vans ' and I'm all for getting a good deal, which is sadly not always possible in the UK.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I can understand that Lenny
I'm pretty sure that whether people buy a Hymer or a Carthago that they can be pretty sure of getting a decent van.
I guess it's a case of deciding which one ticks most boxes for you, and that's very subjective.
If I hadn't seen the Carthago I probably would have bought a Hymer.
Looks like there are going to be some decent discounts available on these 'show vans ' and I'm all for getting a good deal, which is sadly not always possible in the UK.
I have never disagreed with that, it is just that having spent hours in their flagship showroom where you can go into more detail than at a show we came away very disappointed. If it hadn't been for the shower problems we would have been very tempted to change our Hymer, but to us the shower room is one of the most important bits in a van.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have never disagreed with that, it is just that having spent hours in their flagship showroom where you can go into more detail than at a show we came away very disappointed. If it hadn't been for the shower problems we would have been very tempted to change our Hymer, but to us the shower room is one of the most important bits in a van.

Take it easy on him Lenny....Roberts last van was a Swift, no wonders his easily impressed:D

Carthago not immune to electrical problems Lenny so cheer up:)

Broken Link Removed

"They solved all of the other problems that I had been having and the end result is a motorhome with the weight proportion and wiring the way it should have been instead of being wired by a five-year-old from kindergarten."

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Take it easy on him Lenny....Roberts last van was a Swift, no wonders his easily impressed:D

Carthago not immune to electrical problems Lenny so cheer up:)

Broken Link Removed

"They solved all of the other problems that I had been having and the end result is a motorhome with the weight proportion and wiring the way it should have been instead of being wired by a five-year-old from kindergarten."
That report is a bit extreme, and the guy seemed to home in on useless dealers. I do know someone where Carthago paid for air suspension on their chic as the chassis wasn't fit for purpose, like all manufactures they get it wrong sometimes, apart from UK ones where they get it wrong all the time.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That report is a bit extreme, and the guy seemed to home in on useless dealers. I do know someone where Carthago paid for air suspension on their chic as the chassis wasn't fit for purpose, like all manufactures they get it wrong sometimes, apart from UK ones where they get it wrong all the time.

Hmm..dunno...problems far from unique of German enthusiasts forums. One of the bug bears is at that at this price point Germans expect them to be built in Germany and not eastern Europe. Like I said earlier, only the Liner class built at Carthago city

your probably right re the dealer, I tried to get a deal on a La Strada in 2013 and they were terrible to deal with..

The vans that seem to stick out for satisfication are Concorde..but another price level again.

when buying vans, partly because i'm diabetic restricted to 3500, I research the topic to death. I joined the German Carthargo forum for this reason, as there was lots of negative stuff on weights. Those that think spending more money insulates them from problems are deluding themselves I'm afraid. plenty of problems with all brands irrespective of price..

have a look on the carthago german forum if you dont believe me

Last edited:

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Hmm..dunno...problems far from unique of German enthusiasts forums. One of the bug bears is at that at this price point Germans expect them to be built in Germany and not eastern Europe. Like I said earlier, only the Liner class built at Carthago city

your probably right re the dealer, I tried to get a deal on a La Strada in 2013 and they were terrible to deal with..

The vans that seem to stick out for satisfication are Concorde..but another price level again

The dealer I bought my a class c-tourer from told me all were built in Germany but the"cheaper" ranges were sent to Slovenia for all internal fitment to be carried out. That included the c-you're range.

I'm very pleased with mine which has a solid solid shower tray and good bit on all drawers and cupboards.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The dealer I bought my a class c-tourer from told me all were built in Germany but the"cheaper" ranges were sent to Slovenia for all internal fitment to be carried out. That included the c-you're range.

I'm very pleased with mine which has a solid solid shower tray and good bit on all drawers and cupboards.

that's what you get for believing ill informed UK dealer :D

"Carthago Aulendorf builds the ranges E-Line - S-plus - Highline. The Liner class at this moment was "cancelled" because there is only a very low request.

All other motorhomes C-Line - C-Tourer - C-Compact - Malibu - where built in Carthago's factory Odranci Slovenia."

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I believe that a lot of the solid oak furniture sold in the UK is from Slovenia - very high quality cabinet makers

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I believe that a lot of the solid oak furniture sold in the UK is from Slovenia - very high quality cabinet makers

My personal view is that regardless of where it is made, if it has the name behind it then it should meet the standard expected. No idea if these do as i dont own one yet.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
a mate who lives on south coast rang local Hymer dealer regards faulty tap..4 weeks before they would get one. emailed german dealer, they said send a photo and it will be posted by return.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

a motorhome more technically demanding and suffers a hell of a lot more stress then a wardrobe..you really must stop shopping @ Oakareus:D

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I thought it was a good detailed report and as I am thinking of changing I may now stick to a RWD as I am always on grass parking

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
a motorhome more technically demanding and suffers a hell of a lot more stress then a wardrobe..you really must stop shopping @ Oakareus:D
I was referring to the internal cabinetry rather than the chassis - cabinetry and joinery makes up a large part of an A class Motorhome, though not the case in Panel Vans

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
a mate who lives on south coast rang local Hymer dealer regards faulty tap..4 weeks before they would get one. emailed german dealer, they said send a photo and it will be posted by return.

Most UK Hymer dealers can obtain spares direct from Hymer within a couple of days, that is a dealer problem not a Hymer problem.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I thought it was a good detailed report and as I am thinking of changing I may now stick to a RWD as I am always on grass parking

problem being Fiat FWD dominate the market. but not quite if you have the money...
We looked long and hard before we made our decision. The longer we looked, the harder it got. We looked at and sat in loads of vans, studied mobile.de, went to the shows, read the forums - both British and German and so it went on.
We liked both. Carthago had the' wow factor,' Hymer was more of a known quantity. I liked the cabinetry of the Carthago, Graham didn't like the bathrooms (as per discussions in this thread!) My heart said Carthago. Our heads said Hymer.
I really believe that whichever we had chosen, we would have liked. Both are quality products.
Carthago was slightly more expensive - but only slightly on mobile.de.
In the end, we knew we just had to make a decision. We agreed that on the following day, we would both say what our decision was. We went with Hymer. We're not risk-takers. Not that I think Carthago would have been a risk.
We love the Hymer. It really is a pleasure. But I'm sure we'd have loved a Carthago if we'd gone that way.
It's so easy to 'over think' things, especially when you're trying to decide between two good products.
At the end of the day, you just have to make your decision, no looking back, and go with it.

I have come round to the same way of thinking. plenty of problems with Cathargo as well with water ingress, leaking bathrooms etc..So whats the point of paying extra

you just have to look on the german forums such as Promobil & Carthago , plenty of irate owners, seduced initially by the spiel and finish.

One said " better a 5 year old Concorde then a new Carthago" If you can afford top end I think they are a safer bet, as only see mainly positive stuff on them. I can believe that as well, on an Iveco chassis with 8 speed ZF auto, or better still earlier Merc

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Shan't be taking any further part in this post
Having too much fun in my Carthago in Italy
image.jpeg

Ignore the nay sayers and bag yourselves a bargain at the MH show

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
QUOTE="Judgemental, post: 1576779, member: 8272"]@ £10,000 + more then an import?...Righty ho:D[/QUOTE]

Ok - I tell you what we will do Eddie - you get the full spec for your Brand new in the showroom T143 priced in Euro in Germany or wherever? and I will get the Full spec of the van offered to Funsters here in my first post at £59,995 and we will compare them then eh?

I might even let you off the extra cost of your quoted budget for personally import at £2k - then we have to agree a Euro exchange rate of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back