Carthago Squeeky Fridge Issues (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have a Chic C line 2018 Model with a squeaky fridge carcass, it sounds like the fridge unit is rubbing somehow on the cabinet. It has been back to the dealers and they told me it was all sorted but 300 yds up the road and its still the same.

It sounds like 2 plastic pop bottles rubbing together, can any of you recommend a dometic engineer that could take a look at this for me as i'm not sure if the fridge will need to be removed and refitted??

I know this will not be done under warranty by a dometic engineer but I don't care I just want it sorting as its driving us crazy, 7000 miles in now since purchase and its got no better or no worse just the same awful noise.

I am situated in the Midlands area but will travel a bit to the right person

LB

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
You could try Stewart of 2U Services, mobile and based near Cheltenham.
07768 252420, fully trained Dometic engineer.

Reactions: f6c
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Reliance near Chichester have a very good reputation and are approved by Carthago for warranty work. They don’t sell motorhomes they just repair them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I experienced a similar problem. I slid the fridge slightly out and it was a rubber seal chaffing against a styrene filler.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Update
Took my carthago in to Reliance Motorhomes for them to look at my sqeaking fridge unit which my dealer failed to sort out.
They removed the whole tower unit and confirmed it was rubbing on the carcase causing the noise. They have now sorted it and for the first time since buying it new i now have a squeak free fridge unit.
I also had fridge fans fitted and hab and water ingress servicr done by them.
Well done Reliance Motorhomes you did what my selling dealer could not do for me.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
oh no spoke too soon it was ok for 3hrs on the way home buy half hr from home it is squeaking again :cry:

Still maintain the service from Reliance was top class and really nice guys too

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
oh no spoke too soon it was ok for 3hrs on the way home buy half hr from home it is squeaking again :cry:

Still maintain the service from Reliance was top class and really nice guys too
When we had that problem I made up a couple of thin pads with what I think was some insulation tape and, using a palet knife borrowed from the Memsahibs kitchen drawer, squeezed it in between the fridge and the housing.
That was three or four years ago and not a squeak since.
A simple remedy from a simple mind. ;)

Richard.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
When we had that problem I made up a couple of thin pads with what I think was some insulation tape and, using a palet knife borrowed from the Memsahibs kitchen drawer, squeezed it in between the fridge and the housing.
That was three or four years ago and not a squeak since.
A simple remedy from a simple mind. ;)

Richard.

This is what i am thinking of doing now, i thought about laminating a couple of sheets of A4 paper to give me a firm thin sheet to work with then glue some thin felt to both sides and slide it in the gap like you have done, what do you think to that idea ??

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
This is what i am thinking of doing now, i thought about laminating a couple of sheets of A4 paper to give me a firm thin sheet to work with then glue some thin felt to both sides and slide it in the gap like you have done, what do you think to that idea ??
Sounds good, as long as there is enough space to get it in.
There was only a tiny gap on ours which appeared after the dealer had removed the fridge to gain access to something or other.
I found that the plastic tape, folded over several times, was strong enough and flexible anough to squee it into the gap. Two or three pieces at different points seemed to do the job.

Richard.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Not sure if this suggestion will help or hinder, but we inserted the typical anti-slip rubber matting (think £ Store, Poundland type outlets) between our Dometic fridge and in fact, anything else that we felt squeaked, rattled or just pain irritated our delicate ears whilst travelling along. Didn't need much in any place to completely stop any niggling squeaks or chaffing sounds. Worth a go maybe?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I mentioned to Reliance (when having other work done) that I had a squeaky dashboard between the standard Fiat dashboard and the Carthago extension.
They had resolved this problem for previous customers by using a proper bolted connection.
They suggested that a cheaper solution was to spray the interface with silicone but would need to be regularly applied when it dried out. So far, so good.
Perhaps this might help your squeaky fridge problem. You'd probably need an extended spray nozzle to cover the full depth of the fridge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back