CARTHAGO MALIBU 600 DB LOW BED - GAS BOTTLES (1 Viewer)

HippyRockChic

Free Member
Apr 5, 2016
West Wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1 Year
Hi

I have the above van, which I really love. But I've only managed to fit in 3.9 kg Calor bottles, which don't last long when it's cold!

The van's info says they fit 5 kg but I'm assuming they are German.

Anyone any ideas on how I can improve this situation other than tanks?

OP
OP
HippyRockChic

HippyRockChic

Free Member
Apr 5, 2016
West Wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1 Year
Have thought I might look at this option but extra cost...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi Hippyrockchic

Hi from another Malibu owner. I think that the 5Kg cylinders are probably German as you suspect, and I think your options are probably limited to using the 3.9 Kg cylinders as you are at present, or maybe one of the Calor 6Kg patio gas cylinders (if it fits, and it would also need a clip on adapter for the pigtail to connect to), see cylinders here. The other option which I see you are not so keen on is the refillable tank. I have the Malibu DB2 with the higher bed which fortunately allows us larger cylinders.

Cheers

Trevor

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
HippyRockChic

HippyRockChic

Free Member
Apr 5, 2016
West Wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1 Year
Hi Trevor

Had been looking at the patio ones and wondering if it was possible to connect them.

It's minus 2 degrees in Oxfordshire & I'm out of gas as nobody round me seems to sell/have any 3.9 kg either! So if no luck today I'll have to try to find an open campsite with a hookup :(.

The gas tanks are looking more tempting by the day!!

Thanks for the advice re connections.

Elaine

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Elaine although expensive to fit, if you wild camp a lot in the winter you will recoupe your money in a few seasons as draught gas is much cheaper:xThumb:

OP
OP
HippyRockChic

HippyRockChic

Free Member
Apr 5, 2016
West Wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1 Year
Hi Wizzer59

I seem to be coming to the same conclusion.

If I go abroad, do you know how easy LPG is to get hold of? Or for that matter the UK (I haven't really paid it that much attention)?

Elaine

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've just fitted an underslung tank on our Hobby, first fill from empty 44lts.
Filled up a couple of times since at Flogas @42p ltr.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I have the same issue in my Tribute 670, and have found that I can fit one 3.9kg and one French Twiny Pro with adaptors, for foreign travel. The latter looks to me to be almost identical to the Calor Patio. The Safefill refillable 5kg lpg will fit on its side alongside the 3.9kg Calor, if it is laid on its side. The manual suggests that cylinders should be placed upright, but I made a small cradle out of wood, and strapped the cylinder down. It seems fine, doesn't move, and is a boon. The Malibu might not be the same size locker as mine, though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have the same issue in my Tribute 670, and have found that I can fit one 3.9kg and one French Twiny Pro with adaptors, for foreign travel. The latter looks to me to be almost identical to the Calor Patio. The Safefill refillable 5kg lpg will fit on its side alongside the 3.9kg Calor, if it is laid on its side. The manual suggests that cylinders should be placed upright, but I made a small cradle out of wood, and strapped the cylinder down. It seems fine, doesn't move, and is a boon. The Malibu might not be the same size locker as mine, though.
Never mind it being a boon ... it could be a BOOMMMMMM!!!! :xblink:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Never ever lay a gas cylinder on its side when in use....!!!

Ian
Exactamundo! You shouldn't do it when it's NOT in use either!!!!

OP
OP
HippyRockChic

HippyRockChic

Free Member
Apr 5, 2016
West Wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1 Year
Ok. Thanks for suggestions (ran out of another 3.9 - didn't even have heating on most of the day and not high when it was on this evening! Can't carry on like this...)

What would cost of under slung tanks(s) be please?

Elaine

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ok. Thanks for suggestions (ran out of another 3.9 - didn't even have heating on most of the day and not high when it was on this evening! Can't carry on like this...)

What would cost of under slung tanks(s) be please?

Elaine
A lot ... last time I asked a few years ago it was over £700! If you can fit the smaller size refillable bottles it will work out a lot cheaper and you can move them to another vehicle in the future if you want to, they're not difficult to fit, no more so than putting in Calor bottles IMV.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As mentioned by minxy girl, you are talking over £700. But in my opinion its the best option. Frees your locker for storage and gives you a good sized tank.
I had my PVC fitted with an underslung tank with led gauge and crashsafe regulator and also had a BBQ point fitted at the same time.

Reactions: f6c
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Never mind it being a boon ... it could be a BOOMMMMMM!!!! :xblink:
Right. I contacted Safefill over this issue, who confirmed that these cylinders should not be used horizontally. This was a surprise to me because it seemed to me that the regulator was there on the bulkhead to regulate the supply. Plus the small cylinder is almost as high as it is wide, so should be strong. But as was pointed out there is the danger that liquid (explosive!) lpg could get through to the appliance, instead of gas.

I mentioned to them that the dealer knew how it was positioned, and that I had asked the salesman to confirm that it would be safe. He said it would be fine. He also asked a colleague to confirm it would be, who said there would be no problem.

Safefill subsequently contacted the dealer, who said that there had been a misunderstanding, and would therefore give me a full refund. I was gutted since I had been delighted with the cylinder, not wanting to go to the expense of a underslung tank, which I do not feel I can justify. The product otherwise was just fine.

Thanks to Minxy Girl et al for pointing out that there was a problem, and also to Safefill for their concern and action.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back