Carthago Liner for two (1 Viewer)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Have paid the deposit on the pre-configured liner subject to the dealer being able to get it on my drive. Should arrive in a few weeks. My drive slopes up with a sharper ramp at the start combined with the road camber has the potential for the rear to catch on the road. Think I have a solution by using two shallow ramps back to back to effectively fill the hollow between the camber and the drive entrance. Can also lift the rear in the air suspension but it’s only 5 cm. Fingers crossed.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Have paid the deposit on the pre-configured liner subject to the dealer being able to get it on my drive. Should arrive in a few weeks. My drive slopes up with a sharper ramp at the start combined with the road camber has the potential for the rear to catch on the road. Think I have a solution by using two shallow ramps back to back to effectively fill the hollow between the camber and the drive entrance. Can also lift the rear in the air suspension but it’s only 5 cm. Fingers crossed.

We had a similar problem, but ours was going down.

You mention ramps, but are you talking about portable ramps or re-ramping the drive?

Our drive was blocks. We got contractors to lift the blocks, re-profile the sub-base to two gradents splitting the previous angle in two and re-laying the blocks.

That solved the problem.

If the drive is concrete it needs drilling out first so harder to do.

Geoff

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thinking portable ramps. The ones they use to get things like Ferrari’s high enough to get a jack under. Reconfiguring drive may be an option but also may have to remove camber on road. It’s private so it is an option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
image.jpeg

We have the same problem, sloping drive which then bottoms out onto the road.
You need a high van not one of the low profile ones, it would be ripped to shreds first reverse out.
I put the air suspension to setting 3 and it's fine.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Suggest the OP draws up a longitudinal profile of the driveway on graph paper (at a suitable scale). Then, an under-chassis profile of the MH on tracing paper. The under-chassis profile need only show the wheelbase/rear overhang/clearance at rear overhang on level ground. By overlaying the tracing paper on the driveway profile, the problem areas can be easily identified.

The drive profile could be determined by a local topographical surveyor or by DIY method using a 1m long spirit level (or spirit level on a longer plank of wood).

My background is in Civil Engineering, mainly involved in design of highways.

If the Carthago can't negotiate the driveway without grounding then the driveway profile would be a useful tool for either:

A) modifying the driveway
B) choosing a MH with sufficient clearance

As mentioned previously, the current trend towards low profile chassis are a pain in the bum when negotiating difficult gradients.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back