Carthago Liner for two (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Having got a third large Golden Retriever, finding our 10 yr old van a bit small. Was looking at the Frankia i740 plus but SMC never phone me back. I live in Lake District and the very local dealer has a liner coming in this month which has most of what I want.
Although I can afford it, I am struggling with spending that sort of money and my parents would be rolling in their graves. We will most likely use it for a 2-3 month winter trip to the sun with maybe a few days skiing on the way and the odd week here and there. Is this enough usage to justify it.
Our requirement was needed a rear lounge with a bit more space and getting a bit tired of making up the bed.
I keep thinking I could buy a property in Spain but then still got to get there with the dogs and not sure I want to be in one place.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I don't know the model you mention------- but surely you need a van with a rear garage and fixed bed over---- that will give you loads of storage for your skiing gear plus the fixed bed??????

Split your budget between a van and a place in Spain?????????

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If you don’t take the plunge you will always think...’if we had got that line......!’
There is nothing worse than being cramped up in a van that’s not big enough and with 3 large dogs you need all the space you can get.
Surely you will use it next year & the year after & so on?!?
Go for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
On the Liner for Two, you still need to fiddle around with the drop-down bed over the cab. This may be easy or not ???

Also, I would imagine the garage space under the lounge is fairly small or restricted in height, making it difficult to carry push bikes.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
That rear lounge in the Liner for Two looks lovely but I'm not sure I would want to be messing about with the drop down bed. What happens if/when the motors go phut?

There is room for bikes in the garage I think as there is a cut out/well in the garage floor to take the wheels.

If you like it and can afford it just do it and make sure you use it as much as possible.
Plenty of use = good value in the end. (y)

Richard.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
the very local dealer has a liner coming in this month which has most of what I want.
I suspect that when you see it in the flesh... your decision will be made for you.
You'll either love it, or be disappointed in it's condition etc.

OP
OP

Deleted User
It is not the model that is an issue. We currently have a rear lounge and wouldn't have anything else as we like lounging rather than sitting up. We went for 7 weeks to Spain in our Autocruise Starspirit which has a very small garage under the seats but still managed ski stuff, bike stuff(bike on rear rack), wetsuits without any trouble so will have loads of space in the Carthago.
Fixed beds don't work for us as floor space is important for us for the dogs and we don't need an enormous garage. To me, its just encourages you to carry stuff that you don't need.
Don't mind the drop down bed as long as don't need ladders which it doesn't and not going to assume that it is going to break though if it does, the lounge makes up to a bed.
We haven't seen a liner-for-two in the flesh but saw another Carthago and it was so well built and very appealing.

My only real sticking point was does the use justify the cost but guess that is a personal question.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Justifying cost is truly a personal question, however, for me if I'm questioning the cost then there's already doubt in my mind, regardless whether I can afford it or not(y)

In regard to Carthago, we own a C-Tourer and love it for its build quality. My wife and I have looked at the liner for two but were disappointed by the available floor space compared to other manufactures. Great for two people but not so much room for the dogs unless you were to take the table out.

Friends of ours own the Frankia I740 plus and we are very impressed by the space. Whether this is because the I740 has a u seat arrangement compared to the liner for two's enclosed seating??

Wouldn't it be great if we could borrow a motorhome we were interested in before making the all important final decision:)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Yes, the C shaped lounge takes up a lot of room and provides too much seating but I think that is so they can get the 40" TV at the side. I do like the idea of the bigger TV as viewing a small TV is a bit of a strain.
Our current van has a foldaway table and I find that a pain to take in and out. Most important aspect of floor space is to be able to get from the bed to the toilet without having to step over dogs in the dark!
Good to know that you are happy with build quality.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The "liner for two" seems quite popular with members of Carthago Owners UK.

Two members have taken delivery whilst 5 are waiting. The feedback from those who have taken delivery seems very positive. Considering these vehicles cost around £120k, I'm not surprised the OP is feeling a tad cautious.

On the plus side, rear lounge MH's are very popular in UK, so should retain their value on the secondhand market.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you are struggling with spending that sort of brass then get an old un with the right layout, the older late 90s Hymers with the Merc 2.9 are really reliable n cheap.
Save yourself a fortune n still have as good a time and what's best of all is you will still be able to sell for roughly the same when the time comes.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
A friend of mine bought a Liner a few months ago after owning a Carthago and said he wished he'd done it years ago and there is only two of them. He was undecided too but admits it's another level and does not regret it at all. Good luck with whatever you decide (y)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Don't try to justify anything, you will only regret it!
We have just bought a bolthole in spain, last year and are looking for another van.
Only advice is 'don't think, just do it!'

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Carthago make good furniture but I do not like Fiat. If this one is on the Iveco chassis, I'd go for it (both options are available).
My only reservation with the "Liner for two" is that the drop-down beds fold as they rise/fall.. I think that the bottom sheets may be difficult to keep flat.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The Liner for 2 would be on our wishlist, its perfect for 2, loads of seating space, largish garage, as it has a floor cut out drop down for bikes to be accommodated.We also like its storage facilities plenty of useful well engineered cupboards.
We are not fussed about TV of any size, thought we would be, but on reflection we tend to use a laptop/phone to keep up with news and e-mails, TV only for DVD's on wet horrible nights.
The list price quoted of £125K is a starter price, the ones on the forecourt we have seen for sale are actually £143/145K. There are even more options to spend even more dosh on. With a van at this level & price point, you will no doubt be spending even more on E&P levelling, and full air suspension so theres another 10K+ to find:eek:
With everything up in the air at the moment with this country and relationships with our EU partners, some of us are not intending to cross the water any time soon. This may be another reason for holding off buying for a while let the dust settle a bit.(my opinion only)
There may also be plenty of SH vans of this ilk on sale in future years than there are at present,with DL restrictions and alike who knows?
But a lovely vans, none the less.
Les

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Nice models however check payloads they are crap !!!
4800kg with a running weight of 4275kg (n)
Not the payload I would expect for an expensive MH :(

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Carthago well built. Very quiet. Ours has been good. It is on a 3 axle Fiat. I would say have a "shop" around. Camper UK at Lincoln have been very good to deal with and have good knowledge of the Carthago range. Might be worth a quick phone call to Dan Hyde there.
Paul

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Now that is crap, should be able to order on a uprated chassis.
Ours is 4900kg on Iveco but only 6.5 metres 1700kg front 2247kg rear weighed today.
Axles are 1900kg front and 3100kg rear so a good payload for such a small A class.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

I think you'll find that the Iveco bases can carry much more.

OP
OP

Deleted User
The one I am looking at which is fairly well loaded with everything apart from Lounge aircon/awning coming in at 4069kg on a 4800kg chassis. Cant see what is making the other one come in at 4275kg. Not really a concern for me as I am a keen cyclist so bike weighs next to nothing. Cant see that I would use more than 400kg of payload. The dealer is 8 miles from me and the van arrives in 2 weeks so that is a very strong point for going with that one.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Warning from experience!
Carthago Quoted MIRA weights are nearly always wrong or exaggerated, Ours before upgrades was quoted at having 525KG usable payload, but this was obviously before any "option packs" from Carthago were included.
Once we had twin Gaslow refillables fitted, a 4.5 mtr awning, second leisure battery etc, etc there was only 250KGs of usable payload left before we put any stuff in it, after full tanks of diesel and 50% water.
This was contrary to the weight cert that the dealer provided to us with "allowances" for the additional dealer fit options we paid extra for.
We therefore had to pay extra for the weight plate to be upgraded, and will probably have to have "air assist" suspension to upgrade to the max over rear axle from 2000KGs to 2225KGs which is where all the weight seems to be taken up.
ASK YOUR DEALER TO GET YOU AN INDEPENDENT WEIGHBRIDGE CERT BEFORE PARTING WITH ANY DOSH!
Sorry to shout, but it is that important, honestly!
Wish I had known that, but its our first van,trusted the dealer weigh cert as being accurate, live & learn eh?
Les

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Opposite experience to @TinaL for us.
Our 2015 C-Line, loaded with extras, is registered at 4500kg and after weighing, soon after purchase, we had very close to 1000kg payload.
I never worry about loading a box or three of wine when we return from France. Hic!!! :D

Richard.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Don't ........Rent .
I had considered that and then forgot to investigate especially as it saves the hassle of maintaining it.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Will let you know what I decide.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would go for it if you fancy it and have the cash but struggle with the concept of ski-ing from a m/h for 2 people. Firstly what does the dog do all day then there's getting your stuff dried out winter tyres/chains digging out if there's a decent dump of snow diesel tolls etc etc. Our second trip this year was £397 each flights chalet half board free wine afternoon tea/cakes cooked breakfasts transfers heated boot room etc etc incl. There was a nice looking campsite near us at Camping Marmelada but never felt envious! we could see the point as a stop off for a week heading south in spring but then you've got all the ski stuff to cart around the rest of the trip.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Carthago C Line and it’s top quality in its price point compared with anything else. It’s only a couple of weeks old and only one fault and that’s a dodgy garage lock.

However my previous van was from SMC and they are great people, don’t let a missed phone call put you off looking, Frankia are a very good brand.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
We studied the Liner for Two and the Frankia 740, Carthago is better but the Frankia is better value as it’s much cheaper. If I’d bought that layout I think I’d have gone Frankia.

If you can wait till September go to the Düsseldorf show, every model from every manufacturer on show side by side, it’s how we decided. Day one create a shortlist. Day two just keeping looking again and again at your shortlist. Makes the NEC show look like a small corner shop.

Last edited:

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010

I have seen the advert but weight in running order is 3735kg before extras giving over 1000kg payload. The advert is either wrong (which I expect) or the van has loads of heavy extras on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back