Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Hi
We have recently purchased a 2015 C tourer 150 A class.
Can somebody with in in depth knowledge, confirm what the sides are made from. “GRP & timber” or the “Ali sandwich.”
I can’t find a 2015 brochure anywhere. Southdowns go back as far 16 but not 15.
I don’t suppose anyone has one?
Many thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I thought all recent Carthago's had aluminium sandwich construction. My 2010 Chic has.

If you remove a kitchen draw you'll be able to see the "uncarpeted" surface of the inner wall. Tap the surface to check if it's aluminium or plywood.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jackd
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
This 2014 review refers to the “double aluminium skin construction.”
Yeah, I have seen that, but the van being reviewed is considerably further up the ladder than ours. I’m hoping that we are Aluminium, but.........

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As far as I'm aware all Carthago's are aluminium sandwich construction.
I've just had a search through my computer files because I knew I had downloaded a Carthago brochure from 2013 but it is only for the Chic range and doesn't cover the C Tourer.
As Wagoneer advises, check somewhere inside a cabinet where the walls are unlined.

Richard.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I think they have been double aluminium construction for over 20 years now, same as Concorde, late 90s they changed to no timber construction.

OP
OP
Jackd
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
I think they have been double aluminium construction for over 20 years now, same as Concorde, late 90s they changed to no timber construction.
I hope this is the case as we’ve just come from a damp British van.
I was worried because we are at the cheaper end of the brand, and you know how manufacturers like to save.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I hope this is the case as we’ve just come from a damp British van.
I was worried because we are at the cheaper end of the brand, and you know how manufacturers like to save.
Is anything with the Carthago name on cheap?
If there is I’m yet to find it. :Eeek:

Richard……a happy but impoverished Carthago owner. :giggle:

OP
OP
Jackd
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Is anything with the Carthago name on cheap?
If there is I’m yet to find it. :Eeek:

Richard……a happy but impoverished Carthago owner. :giggle:
Especially in the current “bubble” that all the dealers are enjoying!

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Think I’ve got a 2015 brochure at home - but we won’t be there for another 3 weeks. I think the Chic C is only next model up from C Tourer, certainly as a C class (not sure where you would put the CCompact in A classes) but I’m pretty certain our 2015 C Tourer C class is timber-free & sandwich construction.

OP
OP
Jackd
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
I thought all recent Carthago's had aluminium sandwich construction. My 2010 Chic has.

If you remove a kitchen draw you'll be able to see the "uncarpeted" surface of the inner wall. Tap the surface to check if it's aluminium or plywood.
My only problem with this is that we don’t collect the new van until the 28th.

Perhaps there is somebody on here with similar model and vintage or older who can confirm one way or the other.
Or even a dealer in the know.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've a 2013 i140, same as yours but different layout. Aluminum sandwich construction with NO timber. Brilliant construction but the same crap third party fittings. Careful with the waste water drain handle as it is happy to snap easily. Check for water ingress to the garage double floor area and keep an eye on the push fit water connectors which sometimes pop off. Not our best van but very acceptable.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I've been to the factory. They make the walls and much else on site. The walls are definitely alloy skins, inner and outer, filled with high density foam.

Another happy but impoverished Carthago owner 😂.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If you look up Carthago’s history you will find that in 2013 Carthago were the first motorhome manufacturer to receive TÜV certification for wood free cabin construction.

It says.
“Carthago is the first motor home maker to receive a TÜV certificate for wood-free motor home cabins. "Without wood or timber products," certified by TÜV South. The experts of the certifying authority have very carefully inspected the production in all factories and the cabins of all our motor home models.”

There is no reason to think that your Carthago is any different, it says all models.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
This is our Conc
If you look up Carthago’s history you will find that in 2013 Carthago were the first motorhome manufacturer to receive TÜV certification for wood free cabin construction.

It says.
“Carthago is the first motor home maker to receive a TÜV certificate for wood-free motor home cabins. "Without wood or timber products," certified by TÜV South. The experts of the certifying authority have very carefully inspected the production in all factories and the cabins of all our motor home models.”

There is no reason to think that your Carthago is any different, it says all models.
This is our Concorde brochure from March 2005 so not sure about that claim. Maybe the first to receive the certificate but certainly not the only one.

1FFA7D46-4C81-4208-8985-FEE72E962E37.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
This is our Conc

This is our Concorde brochure from March 2005 so not sure about that claim. Maybe the first to receive the certificate but certainly not the only one.

View attachment 538937
Perhaps Concorde used wood elsewhere in their construction or didn’t use the new materials across their whole range?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Perhaps Concorde used wood elsewhere in their construction or didn’t use the new materials across their whole range?
A big selling point in the brochure is totally timber free construction, this has been since 1997/1998 year so a long, long time. This includes the underfloor and everywhere else. You can see from the 2005 brochure no timber and as I say they make a big point of it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
A big selling point in the brochure is totally timber free construction, this has been since 1997/1998 year so a long, long time. This includes the underfloor and everywhere else. You can see from the 2005 brochure no timber and as I say they make a big point of it.
They certainly seem to have got there before Carthago. I guess getting certification is optional and they didn’t need it.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They certainly seem to have got there before Carthago. I guess getting certification is optional and they didn’t need it.
Carthago got there well before 2013 though as well I believe, I have seen some of their older vans, early 2000s A classes, absolute quality they are and I’m sure they are totally timber free too, although I don’t have the documentation for them.
I think the documentation doesn’t mean that the Carthago prior to 2013 had timber in the construction just that’s when it was officially presented to them.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Rest assured that there is no wood. It's an aluminium 'sandwich'. The bit in the middle is high density foam where they plan to screw stuff to it or cut through for openings, and lighter density everywhere else to save weight. The cabinetwork is also machined-away where thickness is not required for strength or appearance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back