LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I find with my side hinged ones on a tight aire I can just get the bikes out with the door open a third, try that with a lift up door - no chance.

Last edited:
May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
From memory, not the one on the e-liner I saw. It was not hinged conventionally. It had a parallelogram system that moved the door out and up whilst keeping it vertical. It therefore stuck out a lot less than a normal vertically or horizontally hinged door. Clever design that enabled you to open the door in tight spaces
That’s only on the drivers side (LHD) which gives access to the area under the front dining.
Doesn’t help if you want your bikes out but you have that problem which ever way the garage doors are hung.

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
I find with myside hinged ones on a tight aire I can just get the bikes out with the door open a third, try that with a lift up door - no chance.
I have seen a picture of someone using it as an awning, try that with your side opening door - no chance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
Now who sent you that pic.:D
Always have to have the last word - Lenny HB
As LA said it’s what you prefer. The vertical fitted door probably costs more to instal hence fitted on the more expensive MH. Is it bling or useful - seems to be the question but having had both my choice would be vertical as door out the way when crawling in garage and getting stuff out and moving down side of MH. Rather than walking round the opened door.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You have the same problem with one that opens from one side.
Not quite, you can usually still squeeze in to a side opening one to retrieve something, not easy with an lift up one on strong struts.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you have doors both sides, or even through the rear, you'd be unlucky not to have any access at all.
If it's important to get in through a door that swings upward, you might need to 'pray'.

The door would offer the same gap, to whatever the restriction is. Access would be from the side or under, depending on where it is hinged.

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
I suppose the answer is simple, move it forward, get it out and then put it back in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you have doors both sides, or even through the rear, you'd be unlucky not to have any access at all.
If it's important to get in through a door that swings upward, you might need to 'pray'.

The door would offer the same gap, to whatever the restriction is. Access would be from the side or under, depending on where it is hinged.
Not my idea of fun having to scrabble around on the ground to get access under the door especially since the 2 lifting rams would restrict access more than a side hinged door. :D

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Well, you'll never know 'til you've tried it! :(
and the reward of success could be more than enough!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back