Carthago C-Compactline I-138 - issues etc (1 Viewer)

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
The plate in the engine bay is possibly the Fiat one before Carthago made their modifications. The final Carthago plate on my i143LE is by the passenger door, half hidden by some flooring. When I bought my i143 I understood the i141 and i143 could be upgraded from 3500KG to 3850KG without further modification and the i138 from 3500KG to 3700KG. It might be worth checking with a Carthago dealer whether the rear air suspension is needed on the Alko (not Fiat) chassis for the upgrade to 3850KG. When you find the Carthago plate I think you will find the front axle rated at 1850KG and the rear at 2000KG, adding up to 3850KG. I believe the 3500KG is in effect a down plating from the maximum achievable.
Hi. Can I ask a question please? at the bottom of the wardrobes under the end of the beds does the floor have a cover? The one we are looking at goes straight through to the underfloor. We are also discussing having shelves fitted. The current arrangement of just a rail to hang stuff doesn't seem very practical. I won't be taking a suit and Julie won't be taking posh frocks!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Hi. Can I ask a question please? at the bottom of the wardrobes under the end of the beds does the floor have a cover? The one we are looking at goes straight through to the underfloor. We are also discussing having shelves fitted. The current arrangement of just a rail to hang stuff doesn't seem very practical. I won't be taking a suit and Julie won't be taking posh frocks!
No floor. On one side we have a device hanging from the rail that provides storage pockets and on the other some bits and pieces stored below the hanging clothes. Good idea to fit shelves if that suits you better.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm talking to SAP later. Is the one you have basic or can you adjust height of the rear (we have a steep drive and this could be handy.
Yes it comes with a compressor which you can control from the cab easily, each side can be adjusted independently, it depends how much 'lift' you need as to whether it will be sufficient, I don't know what we get with ours as I've never measured it, but the longer the overhang the greater the lift should be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst not the same model I fitted some shelves myself which are removable if needs be, I've done this in a few MHs/campers and can then return them back to their normal layout when we come to sell. I used the type of supports that you have in kitchen units, ie little plastic things for which you just drill a small hole and pop them in, very easy to do.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
May not be too important as I am looking to uprate to 3850 kg. Have been quoted £350 plus VAT and 8 hours labour totaling over £1200 for rear semi air. Does this seem reasonable?
Sounds far too cheap, semi-air on an Al-Ko chassis is normally around £2000.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
The Compacline i138 is our second Carthago, after a C-Tourer i148, and we love it.
Just to cover a few points mentioned in this thread, firstly with regard to the OP, I don't think Mel's warranty issues were particularly significant, a few lining up issues, easily dealt with...but a bit disappointing to have the toilet door marked.
Re: the van, it's really good to have a vehicle with the (virtually identical) footprint to a 6.36m PVC yet have far more internal space, a double floor for great insulation and storage, a huge garage and two large double beds. It drives really well with the 150bhp motor and I'm fine with the manual box.
Re: the weight, our stock van came plated at 3650 (fiat) and 3850 (Carthago) without modifications other than the fact ours came with the optional 16" wheels.
However, I wanted to run at 3500kg (I like darting into any old Continental village and there are far more weight restrictions theses day) and this was just a paper change done for free by GE.
We have a Sat system, solar panel, twin batteries, inverter, garage bike rack and two ebikes and run at 3420kg fully loaded and watered for a three month Spanish trip...I always have the option to go back up if required.
Our axle weights are
Rear axle 1820kg (max 2000)
Front axle 1600kg (max 1850)
Gross 3420 kg (max 3500)

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
The reason for using the double floor is to create height/depth in the wardrobes without making the top (bed level) too high. It also means the heated double floor will keep you clothes nicely aired.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The reason for using the double floor is to create height/depth in the wardrobes without making the top (bed level) too high. It also means the heated double floor will keep you clothes nicely aired.
Its a good job we didn't get that version then otherwise our dogs would have realised and snaffled it as their warm bed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back