Carthago A Class Drop Down Bed Adjustments (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
The drop down bed on our chic i47 (2009) when pushed up the roof and secured using the seat belt locks is held firm in place but could probably go up another 5-10cms which would increase the view out of the windscreen by a similar amount.

Has anybody adjusted these or perhaps new gas struts would hold it higher up nearer the ceiling ?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
On my Hymer (with the over-cab drop down bed) it had a central seat belt strap which was adjustable.

My 2010 Carthago doesn't have a seat belt arrangement to retain the over-cab bed. Just a couple of latching pins either side. Think I prefer the belt & braces seat belt strap as the latching method isn't 100% fail-safe.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
No it isn't, as I can attest on the M6, M25, N10, whatever the Swiss motorway is, and a particularly horrible moment in central Rome. (I try not to think about that one)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Managed to get along side through the side window with the bed down and the bracket appears to have moved over time to a horizontal position, therefore, lengthening the straps buy about 10 cms reset the position to vertical below the anchor point and voila now have a much clearer view out of the windscreen.

Now just need to work out the Satellite tv and Alde heating ;-)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The drop down bed on our chic i47 (2009) when pushed up the roof and secured using the seat belt locks is held firm in place but could probably go up another 5-10cms which would increase the view out of the windscreen by a similar amount.

Has anybody adjusted these or perhaps new gas struts would hold it higher up nearer the ceiling ?
I think if there is any adjustment it would only take the rear of the bed up. I'm surprised you have a problem, the top of an A Class screen is far higher than a standard cab.
You could give Reliance at Chichester a ring they are a helpful company.
On my Hymer (with the over-cab drop down bed) it had a central seat belt strap which was adjustable.

My 2010 Carthago doesn't have a seat belt arrangement to retain the over-cab bed. Just a couple of latching pins either side. Think I prefer the belt & braces seat belt strap as the latching method isn't 100% fail-safe.
Our Hymer has a pin on either side only locates in the hole by a few mm I must admit I don't have a lot of faith in it but it hasn't fallen down in 3 years. I prefer the seat belt method on our previous Hymer much easier when you have bedding up there.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Adjusting the lower seat belt clips back to what I assume we the original location as they moved over time brought the rear part of the bed up by at least 10cm and therefore the front has also risen so I now see the top of the windscreen from the driving seat previously I was missing the top 5-10cm. Our previous Euramobile went right to the roof and was a pain if you put too much bedding up there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Hymer is like that a right pain with any bedding up there.
Have you tried moving the pillows to the front centre before pushing it back up? Works with our Carthago bed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you tried moving the pillows to the front centre before pushing it back up? Works with our Carthago bed.
Tried everything, not a problem as only the odd night when our daughter came with us.
Sometimes store clothes up there, winter coats when we will be coming home in November. A right pain freezing outside can't find me coat anywhere forgotten it was up there. :ROFLMAO:

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
yes, ours copes with bedding as long as the pillows are pushed forward...
like Lenny (and other Carthago/Hymer beds now) we have two locking pins which i did have to adjust slightly (very easy) to latch home fully.
id probably have straps fitted if i had lost confidence in the latches but they are fine now....just give the bed a testing pull after parking it...

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
No it isn't, as I can attest on the M6, M25, N10, whatever the Swiss motorway is, and a particularly horrible moment in central Rome. (I try not to think about that one)
Once would have been enough for me!!🤔🤔
Have you had the problem fixed ??

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I'm not sure there is a problem. It got a lot better after I took some of the bedding off it, and doesn't seem to happen at all when empty, so I think it's at least partly overloading. I plan to get the catches looked at at some stage, though.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
it sounds like the catches werent sliding fully home, this was probably due to not being able to get the bed fully up (as you say, probably the excess bedding)
the thing is, the pins only have a spring to move them into place, so turning the handle to the 'lock' prosition is only releasing tension to enable the bolts to slide...Not actually applying any force to make them engage.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
The catches were definitely home, I was checking it very throughly. One of them seems to work loose, though. I think it’s possibly partly a slightly loose catch and mostly excess weight on the bed.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
the 'catch' is a large pin that fots into a hole....the pin is champfered to aid insertion by the pushing spring.
the champfer gives way to a stright barrelled pin which is (at least) how deep the pin should be.
if it is only inserted (via poor adjustment) somthat it is still located at the champfered section, it is not deep enough and i can see that the pin could be forced back out again and the bed could fall.
if it inserted fully so that the straight section of the pin is taking the load, the bed (imho) should not fall.
the adjustment might take a bit of fiddling to get right as the pin needs to move far enough out to free the bed for move,ent, het far enough back in to secure the bed properly.
this is done by the adjucting lock nuts on the pin barrel...
HOWEVER....if the cable that joins the release handle to the locking pins is too tight, it will not allow the pins to fully engage despite adjusting at the locking nuts.
OTOH, of the cable is too loose, its difficult to get the pins to withdraw even when the release handle is fully pulled....
it sounds complicated but is quite simple....but both the cable and the pins need to adjusted correctly to get this right...

ben0069

Free Member
Dec 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago M Liner
the 'catch' is a large pin that fots into a hole....the pin is champfered to aid insertion by the pushing spring.
the champfer gives way to a stright barrelled pin which is (at least) how deep the pin should be.
if it is only inserted (via poor adjustment) somthat it is still located at the champfered section, it is not deep enough and i can see that the pin could be forced back out again and the bed could fall.
if it inserted fully so that the straight section of the pin is taking the load, the bed (imho) should not fall.
the adjustment might take a bit of fiddling to get right as the pin needs to move far enough out to free the bed for move,ent, het far enough back in to secure the bed properly.
this is done by the adjucting lock nuts on the pin barrel...
HOWEVER....if the cable that joins the release handle to the locking pins is too tight, it will not allow the pins to fully engage despite adjusting at the locking nuts.
OTOH, of the cable is too loose, its difficult to get the pins to withdraw even when the release handle is fully pulled....
it sounds complicated but is quite simple....but both the cable and the pins need to adjusted correctly to get this right...
HI
I have an m liner with the same bed and pins you speak of, however the cable is more of a thick wire which has plastic clips that hold the ends in place, you place the wire in the hole and then spin the clip 90 degrees.
do you know where these clips can be obtained ?
regards
ben

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back