Cartels Bancaire Uniquement - Payment Procedure (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi ,

We have little experience of using Motorhome Aires in France but have found an Aire near Lille at Camping-Parc d'Olhain which says Carte Bancaire Uniquement for payment at the Motorhome Aire. My limited French tells me this is Bank Cards only? I wondered if anyone could advise me as to whether we will be able to use a U.K. MasterCard at the payment point or whether it will take French cards only.

Many thanks

Florence

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We use Aires all the time and have never had an issue with paying by card. A friend of mine had a problem but a French man paid and he reimbursed him with cash. Always a way round things.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It varies from aire to aire. Most of the time a UK bank card will work, just occasionally it won't, although ours are Visa not Mastercard. You won't know until you try. Multilingual instructions on the paypoint display screen are always a good sign.

Have a Plan B aire lined up just in case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sound like it only accepts debit cards and not credit cards ... just do as suggested and look 'helpless' and someone on the aire is more than likely willing to help by using their card and you handing over the dosh so make sure you have some euros with you.

If you're brave you could even go over to one of the motorhomes and ask them to do it ... depends on how good your French etc is! 'Helpless' is a universal language! :D

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We're starting to think about our first over the watter (or most likely under it) trip. Not very good at doing "helpless". "Hopeless" is a dwaddle though. Do you think that might work as well?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're starting to think about our first over the watter (or most likely under it) trip. Not very good at doing "helpless". "Hopeless" is a dwaddle though. Do you think that might work as well?
I think that would work even better ... I just didn't want to suggest that funsters were able to do hopeless ... obviously you have enviable skills!!! :D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As a footnote, I'm always on the lookout for overnight parking in the general vicinity of Lille, and the CCI website (http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?pays=FRANCE) for Dept 62, Pas de Calais shows two MH aires in the leisure park you've mentioned.

We're starting to think about our first over the watter (or most likely under it) trip. Not very good at doing "helpless".

In best high school French accent:

"Excusez moi, le horodateur ne marche pas avec un carte bancaire etranger. Et il possible de fait un paiement pour moi s'il vous plait? J'ai le monnaie ici" (show cash). "Je voudrais rester pour un/deux/trois etc nuits." If answer yes, "Merci beaucoup, et vive la France".:france:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Years ago it seemed that lots of places in France would only accept Visa cards and not MasterCard (in those far off days it was Access in the UK).
Now both cards are widely accepted as well as debit cards. We pay for almost everything in France on a MasterCard as we get a very good exchange rate and no commission.
It is rare to get a problem with a card not being accepted but we have back ups if that should happen. Can't remember when we last used a back up card.

Richard.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I think that would work even better ... I just didn't want to suggest that funsters were able to do hopeless ... obviously you have enviable skills!!! :D
Hi.
I am doing VERY well over here/hear? ,with "Hopeless and Helpless",so go for it. However,i have yet another "Add On" skill........ Being...DEAF! WHAT?
TEA BAG

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Sound like it only accepts debit cards and not credit cards ... just do as suggested and look 'helpless' and someone on the aire is more than likely willing to help by using their card and you handing over the dosh so make sure you have some euros with you.

If you're brave you could even go over to one of the motorhomes and ask them to do it ... depends on how good your French etc is! 'Helpless' is a universal language! :D
Both debit and credit cards are "cartes bancaires".

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi ,

We have little experience of using Motorhome Aires in France but have found an Aire near Lille at Camping-Parc d'Olhain which says Carte Bancaire Uniquement for payment at the Motorhome Aire. My limited French tells me this is Bank Cards only? I wondered if anyone could advise me as to whether we will be able to use a U.K. MasterCard at the payment point or whether it will take French cards only.

Many thanks

Florence
Bear in mind what @TJBi says but also find out about the card you intend to use. Some debit/credit cards charge a transaction fee on top of exchange rate etc. A few years ago, from finding out on here, I got a Halifax Clarity card. It gives a favourable day rate (usually a few cents higher than banks and can be used) , no transaction fee and no commission. If ever asked , if using Clarity, always opt for payment in euros or local currency.
I know a few will come along and suggest other cards but they know about the cards whereas I only have usage experience with Clarity over a few years now. Revolut is a possible alternative but, as I said, I only use Clarity and happy with it as I only ever use it overseas and a different bank card here. I don't have a bank account with Halifax either

OP
OP
M
May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
A big thank you to everyone that replied to my question, much appreciated.
We have taken all the advice on board so will take debit cards, credit cards and cash.
My French is not bad so hopefully it will get me out of a sticky situation if needed.
Kind regards to all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back