Cars on A-frames in the EU - Fined or not? (2 Viewers)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes your right . but nothing in uk law says its illegal either.
i have aframed in spain . have towed things back with a harvey frost towboy as well . both illegal in spain .
i dont use one now i decided get a mini artic makes much more sense . and i can carry a m,bike in the back . so have lots transport.
but like i said earlier if you dont want to argue in courts dont use one .
the choice is ours .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
yes your right . but nothing in uk law says its illegal either.
i have aframed in spain . have towed things back with a harvey frost towboy as well . both illegal in spain .
i dont use one now i decided get a mini artic makes much more sense . and i can carry a m,bike in the back . so have lots transport.
but like i said earlier if you dont want to argue in courts dont use one .
the choice is ours .
Now thats polite!:D
Please read what I said earlier regards this?lol...

your a top bloke and i admire your input on here, honestly don't want to upset anyone:)

I was a member of IOSH and had a little education regards uk law. Take it or leave it maybe. As I am personally incredulace of the lack of understanding on this topc

Eddie

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Now thats polite!:D
Please read what I said earlier regards this?lol...

your a top bloke and i admire your input on here, honestly don't want to upset anyone:)

I was a member of IOSH and had a little education regards uk law. Take it or leave it maybe. As I am personally incredulace of the lack of understanding on this topc

Eddie
Think you and MG got throu judge, Charlie going for trailer now (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
took no offence . i also have spent hours and hours on phones and talking with vosa about this same subject . i have been using aframes ,harvey frost towboys etc for years . did recovery work as well.
think how many cars bought from auctions have been towed home on aframes . we used to go and buy cars with towbars then we could buy another and tow one behind another . three of us could go and take aframes and buy 5 cars .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As I am personally incredulace of the lack of understanding on this topc

The misleading information given out by the companies that sell these things doesn't help that.

Personally I don't think anyone is likely to get very far trying to argue with a Spanish or German policeman that he's wrong and you can do it because the bloke that sold you the kit says you can.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
The misleading information given out by the companies that sell these things doesn't help that.

Personally I don't think anyone is likely to get very far trying to argue with a Spanish or German policeman that he's wrong and you can do it because the bloke that sold you the kit says you can.
I didn't :LOL:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Nick your spot on and far to sensible. I have been pulled by these gruff men with big guns in spain for alleged speeding our cops teddy bears in comparison :D. And there was absolutely nothng they would listen to! Was frog marched to next town and a card machine!:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Nick your spot on and far to sensible. I have been pulled by these gruff men with big guns in spain for alleged speeding our cops teddy bears in comparison :D. And there was absolutely nothng they would listen to! Was frog marched to next town and a card machine!:)
these days even the motor cycle police have card machines with them ,.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hildweller. You quote me as saying I was a member of IOSH. I did not say that, I don't know how you come to quote me, neither am I a midwife, perhaps you would correct your post please.

That is very strange. The text is out of The Judge's post and yet it has got linked to you. Now we are both puzzled, but don't worry about it, this is a quite normal FUN condition.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy Girl said said:
Eddie [Judge Mental] perhaps you would like to also post the above on the Smart Car thread too as there's no point in me doing so as I'm being ignored! :rolleyes:
But you said in your first post, so why would y want to do that?

"So can we have actual facts from anyone who has experienced this - also, if anyone else has first hand knowledge that it has happened to someone they know and the final outcome that would be good too, but please NO "my mate, knows of a man with a one-legged dog who was in X country a decade ago and got fined".

@eddievanbitz you didn't read a later paragraph in my OP where I said:
So can we have actual facts from anyone who has experienced this - also, if anyone else has first hand knowledge that it has happened to someone they know and the final outcome that would be good too, but please NO "my mate, knows of a man with a one-legged dog who was in X country a decade ago and got fined".

As for you being ignored, I just think that no one can can prove that towing a car, using a A frame is legal, but there again no one can prove that it is illegal

Just loads of opinions, and the great thing about Motorhome FUN is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I just think that people are being polite lol
The 'being ignored' is nothing to do with this thread, but referred to the other thread that Charlie started as he must have me on his ignore list so won't be able to see any posts from me on there, hence no point in me posting Judge Mental's comments on there, thus I suggested he do so.:)

So you and @Judge Mental are having a 'spat' about nothing! :D

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Eh????? o_O He's just paid out a load of dosh on an A-frame! Haha, got me - I've just read the thread, he's not after one for the car! :LOL:

I'd did this thread so that I didn't highjack his thread - I didn't know he could even read it as I'd started it (seeing as I believe he's got me on his ignore list). I hasten to add though that it was not done intentionally for him not to be able to read this, or so he couldn't contribute if he wished to, I just assumed he couldn't.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Where is Momo, not seen her on here for ages. hope she is well.

I asked that a while back ?

Do you know where to find the regs so we can make a copy of them for when we go to Spain again at the end of the year?

08/V-74 in English
Broken Link Removed

easy guide in pictures.:)

Broken Link Removed
or this one in Spanish.
http://lafurgoteta.com/legislacion-nacional-sobre-autocaravanas/

Here is a link to the modified speed limits from last year , I believe.
Broken Link Removed

With due respect to the OP if I were to need information on the legalities of something I was intending to do in another country are there not better ways to get accurate information than debate on a forum, which by its very nature will bring forth opposing views. In this case what's wrong with contacting the Spannish Toursist Board or in the UK the Spanish Embassy. They want the tourist euro and I am sure would be helpful. The bonus is if the request is done via email the resultant reply would be a great thing to show to an official in Spain who thinks you are committing some offence. When in fact you are complying with the letter of the law which you just happen to have in your hand.

Or am I being to simplistic
Unfortunately you won't get it off of any of them . :) Anything they might tell you will certainly not be backed up by anything in writing.
The one thing that you can categorically state with anyone who is in an official position is that they will not in any way offer an opnion, unless they are specifically told to by soeone senior:they will certainly not put anything in writing but insist on passing it to someone " higher up" ; which goes on endlessly
"They" have no interest in the "Tourist euro " as you say because they are funcionarios ( civil servants) who all have jobs for life & many of them object to actually doing anything for their countrymen , so a foreigner is not even on the list.:giggle:
They will only offer an opinion/advice when there isn't the slightest chance that it can possibly come back to cause them problems.

As to your final point , you obviously have never sent an Email to any Spanish business,council office, government department,etc; as the likelihood of a reply, even to the ones where you are trying to purchase something , is remote to say the least. Their reasoning is simple ,If they replied & offered an opinion ,or even just replied & their was a signature on it or even just the email address , it could come back to cause them problems ; So they do not reply. :(
If it is a business/someone selling stuff they normally put
" NO emails " in the advert.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Wh
I asked that a while back ?

08/V-74 in English
Broken Link Removed

easy guide in pictures.:)

Broken Link Removed
or this one in Spanish.
http://lafurgoteta.com/legislacion-nacional-sobre-autocaravanas/

Here is a link to the modified speed limits from last year , I believe.
Broken Link Removed

Unfortunately you won't get it off of any of them . :) Anything they might tell you will certainly not be backed up by anything in writing.
The one thing that you can categorically state with anyone who is in an official position is that they will not in any way offer an opnion, unless they are specifically told to by soeone senior:they will certainly not put anything in writing but insist on passing it to someone " higher up" ; which goes on endlessly
"They" have no interest in the "Tourist euro " as you say because they are funcionarios ( civil servants) who all have jobs for life & many of them object to actually doing anything for their countrymen , so a foreigner is not even on the list.:giggle:
They will only offer an opinion/advice when there isn't the slightest chance that it can possibly come back to cause them problems.

As to your final point , you obviously have never sent an Email to any Spanish business,council office, government department,etc; as the likelihood of a reply, even to the ones where you are trying to purchase something , is remote to say the least. Their reasoning is simple ,If they replied & offered an opinion ,or even just replied & their was a signature on it or even just the email address , it could come back to cause them problems ; So they do not reply. :(
If it is a business/someone selling stuff they normally put
" NO emails " in the advert.
what a shambles, glad I haven't got and don't want an A frame

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Wow! My work is done:) I never looked at link did not realise it was a car trailer....looks an absolute bargain compared to UK. Wonder if my new smart car will fit :D

Not sure if it has suspension but still a great deal

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think a quote from Macbeth is appropriate at this point: :)

“Confusion now hath made his masterpiece.”

Or from A Midsummer Night's Dream:

"So quick bright things come to confusion.''

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
S

Didn't realise he was a member.
Yes, it is a little known fact that there was recently discovered unpublished play by the great Bard, entitled "An A framing nights grey waste dumping". I've read the script - although obviously irrefutably illegal it was a complete gas from beginning to end

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
With due respect to the OP if I were to need information on the legalities of something I was intending to do in another country are there not better ways to get accurate information than debate on a forum, which by its very nature will bring forth opposing views. In this case what's wrong with contacting the Spannish Toursist Board or in the UK the Spanish Embassy. They want the tourist euro and I am sure would be helpful. The bonus is if the request is done via email the resultant reply would be a great thing to show to an official in Spain who thinks you are committing some offence. When in fact you are complying with the letter of the law which you just happen to have in your hand.

Or am I being to simplistic

Been Done, about 10 years ago. It was recorded / reported on another (now defunct) Forum. Nothing came of it, just the person who wrote the request received the usual politician "Blatther" only in badly translated Spanish!.

Pete

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So, if you want to tow, tow

If you don't agree with it, get puritanical on this forum and preach it is illegal without any actual proof lol

no one can quote any law to saw that it is illegal to tow a car on an A frame

If your not sure of the benefits of having a little car to use or the legality of towing a little car, don't do it

It's really simple really lol

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

If you don't agree with it, get puritanical on this forum and preach it is illegal without any actual proof lol

If your not sure of the benefits of having a little car to use or the legality of towing a little car, don't do it

Couldn't put it better myself. It`s free choice, Those of us who have been around a bit, know that it is a UK grey area, but most UK insurers will accept it. As for "foreign parts" we know that "they dont like it upem". So dont do it. As the small T-V rodent says:- "Simples".

Pete

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Exactly! It is a free world and I don't like being preached at by the doom mongers for using an A Frame that has been fully approved by the insurance company (both the A frame use and the car modifications approved in writing). It is really that simple as above - if you don't like A frames/think that the are the spawn of the devil/just want to stir up some trouble then don't comment unless the thread specifically asks for opinions on the legality. For the record, no matter what threads of DVLA disclaimers (which as civil servants they have to do) are pointed to, as it stands they are legal in the UK and will be so for some time in the future, just as under Spanish law amongst others, they are illegal..

It really is that simple. If you don't like them, don't use them but please stop preaching to those that do about it. We are the ones prosecuted and paying the fines and both my insurance company and myself are happy with the situation.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Your unbelievable! :)

I could not get away with such angry language just adding a smilly should not absolve anyone lol

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Exactly! It is a free world and I don't like being preached at by the doom mongers for using an A Frame that has been fully approved by the insurance company (both the A frame use and the car modifications approved in writing). It is really that simple as above - if you don't like A frames/think that the are the spawn of the devil/just want to stir up some trouble then don't comment unless the thread specifically asks for opinions on the legality. For the record, no matter what threads of DVLA disclaimers (which as civil servants they have to do) are pointed to, as it stands they are legal in the UK and will be so for some time in the future, just as under Spanish law amongst others, they are illegal..

It really is that simple. If you don't like them, don't use them but please stop preaching to those that do about it. We are the ones prosecuted and paying the fines and both my insurance company and myself are happy

Preaching? Hilarious! :)

So pray tell why won't you take it to Europe :D

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So pray tell why won't you take it to Europe :D
Because I already very clearly stated Eddie (if you would actually take the time to read what I and others have said here) that they are not legal in Spain and other countries.

"just as under Spanish law amongst others, they are illegal.".

Kapish?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back