Carrying stuff in your motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I know this has been covered before, but I just noticed this paragraph on my tax disc renewal form and thought it might provoke some thoughts.

Quote " This vehicle needs an MOT certificate from 25/07/2015 but goods vehicle certificate required now if vehicle carrying goods/burden not needed by the user for accommodation purposes on the vehicle."

So, the question is, are motorbikes/scooters, pedal bikes or trailers pulling them, or a car, classed as needed by the user for accommodation purposes ?
Define "needed for accommodation purposes", or what comprises such.

Obviously our MH is over 3.5t, hence the tax class being Private HGV.

I really must stop thinking. :confused:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Oh my god you've done it now .
All the doom n gloom merchants will be in their element now telling us all what we can't do.
My advice stop thinking so much and just enjoy the freedom while you still have some.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know this has been covered before, but I just noticed this paragraph on my tax disc renewal form and thought it might provoke some thoughts.

Quote " This vehicle needs an MOT certificate from 25/07/2015 but goods vehicle certificate required now if vehicle carrying goods/burden not needed by the user for accommodation purposes on the vehicle."

So, the question is, are motorbikes/scooters, pedal bikes or trailers pulling them, or a car, classed as needed by the user for accommodation purposes ?

This is what makes it a "living van". For some arbitrary reason, the DVLA thinks that bicycles are OK, but adding an engine to the bike makes it obviously not. Personally, I don't see a difference. Both are vehicles you take along to allow you to enjoy yourself or pop to the shops.

However, despite the DVLA's protestations, I understand the courts have been interpreting it as all personal (as opposed to commercial goods) are exempt, even motorbikes, provided they're not used for racing meets etc. This may well be wrong and I haven't read any court proceedings to confirm it, but it seems a far more sensible interpretation. I'm sure parliament didn't intend to ban motor caravans taking bicycles on holiday.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Personally I couldn't care less what some poxy bureaucrat says I can or cant have in the back of my van I paid for it and I'll use it as I see fit and wont be asking anyones permission.
Why the hell does their have to be a law legislating and controlling every little detail of our lives bloody big brother gone mad.

Come the revolution all these b******s will be lined up against the wall. :p:p

In the words of the great man

"I am not a number" (y)

I can make up my own mind.

Phew thats better need a lie down now :)

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Personally I couldn't care less what some poxy bureaucrat says I can or cant have in the back of my van I paid for it and I'll use it as I see fit and wont be asking anyones permission.
Why the hell does their have to be a law legislating and controlling every little detail of our lives bloody big brother gone mad.

Come the revolution all these b******s will be lined up against the wall. :p:p

In the words of the great man

"I am not a number" (y)

I can make up my own mind.

Phew thats better need a lie down now :)

Just looking for clarification really.
Whatever you do in your own property is up to you, as far as I am concerned.
Don't you come on this site complaining when you get nicked, 'cos I did try to help you with the rules Number 6. :whistle:

Hope you enjoyed your lie down and are feeling so much more relaxed. :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Do you have a step ladder permit for when you decorate your house :ROFLMAO:
Beware the HSE if you fall off them without a permit :whistle: No NHS for you geezer :LOL:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Edited...
This is what makes it a "living van". For some arbitrary reason, the DVLA thinks that bicycles are OK, but adding an engine to the bike makes it obviously not. However, despite the DVLA's protestations, I understand the courts have been interpreting it as all personal (as opposed to commercial goods) are exempt, even motorbikes, provided they're not used for racing meets etc.
That's Yorick stuffed then...... though as you say, pretty hard to prove and a really silly jobsworth stance

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Do you have a step ladder permit for when you decorate your house :ROFLMAO:
Beware the HSE if you fall off them without a permit :whistle: No NHS for you geezer :LOL:

Actually, I do.

It's issued to me by my own personal HSE officer, SWMBO.
Usually by the JFDI command. Just f***ing do it. ;)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There's so much rubbish about this, basically, you can carry anything in your motorhome ( read Motor Caravan for dvla purposes) as long as it's for your own use while you are using your motorhome as a motorhome.
Stepladders, motorbikes, cars, etc.
It's common sense. Don't think about it too much.
Allan

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Are these ok??

image.jpg

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You just have to explain that the bike is there because you sleep-cycle sometimes. (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well a m,bike does make it a living van .and the courts will agree with that . also alsorts of items like blow up boats etc . its not really a new thing .
i had it explained to me by vosa 14 yrs ago .
my trailer is a living van . ideal suits me fine . remember if its classed as a living van you will have the wrong mot and possibly the wrong insurance .
well thats put the cat amongst the pigeons .
cars certainly are in a load area this was sorted out years ago and the courts will definately class it as a goods vehicle .
i had a coach converted in the early 90,s it had a load area for a car . even the ministry mot station wouldnt mot it as a m,home in about 92 . i believe the rules changed .
toy hauler fifth wheelers if over 3,500kg gvw should be mot,d as well.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There's so much rubbish about this, basically, you can carry anything in your motorhome ( read Motor Caravan for dvla purposes) as long as it's for your own use while you are using your motorhome as a motorhome.
Stepladders, motorbikes, cars, etc.
It's common sense. Don't think about it too much.
Allan

Oooohhh common sense :whistle: :whistle: Trouble is it gets in the way of scaremongering and urban myths :)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
well a m,bike does make it a living van .and the courts will agree with that . also alsorts of items like blow up boats etc. its not really a new thing .
i had it explained to me by vosa 14 yrs ago .
my trailer is a living van . ideal suits me fine . remember if its classed as a living van you will have the wrong mot and possibly the wrong insurance .
well thats put the cat amongst the pigeons .
cars certainly are in a load area this was sorted out years ago and the courts will definately class it as a goods vehicle .
i had a coach converted in the early 90,s it had a load area for a car . even the ministry mot station wouldnt mot it as a m,home in about 92 . i believe the rules changed .
toy hauler fifth wheelers if over 3,500kg gvw should be mot,d as well.
Well what about this then, could double up as an airbag at a push :)

image.jpg

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

If you are worried about this, I suspect the definition to concentrate on is 'goods/burden' rather than the use for accommodation. If the articles in question aren't goods or burden, then their use in relation to the accommodation doesn't come into it.

A goods vehicle is normally used to transport goods for a business purpose. Goods are usually defined in relation to a business use (I don't really know about burden - it's not exactly a common term). Note that hire & reward isn't required - carrying your own goods for your own business is still the transport of goods.

If you are a self-employed bricklayer, you can travel to where the work is in your m'home. You can take your bike to do the last bit of the journey to the site each day. I believe you can even take your own trowel. What you can't do is call at the builders merchant & pick up a bag of cement on the way without a goods vehicle certificate. If you tried to take the 'tools of the trade' argument too far & stuck a cement mixer in the garage, I suspect questions could be asked!

If you are on holiday and only take items relating to your holiday, then I don't think those items are classed as goods.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I wonder how they define " the user"
Cos I'm not eating all that dog food, or the cat food and I'm definitely not using the Catsan.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
well a m,bike does make it a living van .and the courts will agree with that . also alsorts of items like blow up boats etc . its not really a new thing .

Does this mean that I now have to leave my inflatable dolly behind??:blush:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
So what if you wanted to do a car boot sale from your camper ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that could be classed as carrying goods for hire or reward.
best i can say is ring vosa or dsa or what ever they call them selves these days . i have spent many hours in discusion with them . my truck and trailer was built under their guidance as a living van and a vehicle forming part of an articulated combination used for pulling a living van .
their idea .
these rules about the load area have been around for years . m,bikes outside ok .
have them inside it changes the use.
ask geo about the mot definitions . mind if the lockers are empty at mot it could still be mot,d as m, caravan .
later its possible you are not correct. if caught carrying goods you could also be in tacho area or even operators licence . etc .

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
If you are worried about this, I suspect the definition to concentrate on is 'goods/burden' rather than the use for accommodation. If the articles in question aren't goods or burden, then their use in relation to the accommodation doesn't come into it.

A goods vehicle is normally used to transport goods for a business purpose. Goods are usually defined in relation to a business use (I don't really know about burden - it's not exactly a common term). Note that hire & reward isn't required - carrying your own goods for your own business is still the transport of goods.

If you are a self-employed bricklayer, you can travel to where the work is in your m'home. You can take your bike to do the last bit of the journey to the site each day. I believe you can even take your own trowel. What you can't do is call at the builders merchant & pick up a bag of cement on the way without a goods vehicle certificate. If you tried to take the 'tools of the trade' argument too far & stuck a cement mixer in the garage, I suspect questions could be asked!

If you are on holiday and only take items relating to your holiday, then I don't think those items are classed as goods.

That's the trouble really.
Everyone thinks but doesn't really know. :unsure:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If we went and fetched plasterboard to mend a ceiling in our house, in our motorhome - then that is NOT use for hire or reward. Nobody has entered into a verbal or written hire agreement for the vehicle nor asked us to drop into Jewsons and fetch it. My business (retired sheet metal worker) doesn't include either fetching building materials or using them. Ergo my plasterboards are not Business goods. However, if I was a builder fetching the board to do a job for reward, then the boards are business goods - so the van would have to be INSURED for business use.

No idea on Road Tax effect.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Do you think all those hundreds perhaps thousands who do car boots have notified or asked Vosa, ? get real, it is for personal use, cannot call car boots a business, punters expect it for free. not talking about genuine businesses here, just the ordinarily folk who do a car boot, to hopefully get rid of surplus items they no longer need, now and again.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Do you think all those hundreds perhaps thousands who do car boots have notified or asked Vosa, ?
They don't need to - not many cars are over 3500kg & licensed as a Private HGV, which was the question that was asked by the OP.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back