LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
is it permissible to carry a gas cylinder in a Motorhome anywhere other than the gas locker ( gas locker generally holds 1 or 2 bottles, at least one of which is connected to the fridge/cooker etc.

Can another bottle ( closed and sealed, not connected to anything) be carried in the garage or another external locker? What about the mini canisters, Camping Gas etc?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Legally I guess as you do carry them in cars etc but the gas locker is vented so any leak in a garage or locker could be a problem

The experts will be along soon...........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As long as you have a drop vent in the area you are storing it and its sealed from the habitation area it will be OK.
I have a single burner stove I carry the gas canisters for it in my gas locker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I also have one of those little single burner stoves and there is room for half a dozen of the little gas canisters in the gas locker.
Useful as you can use it outside without heating up the interior, and in emergency if nothing else works.
If I carried a larger one which wouldn't fit there the back box would be a good spot, it's not vented but any leakage would not get into the mh. A large leak would blow the door off though.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I also have one of those little single burner stoves and there is room for half a dozen of the little gas canisters in the gas locker.
Useful as you can use it outside without heating up the interior, and in emergency if nothing else works.
If I carried a larger one which wouldn't fit there the back box would be a good spot, it's not vented but any leakage would not get into the mh. A large leak would blow the door off though.
“You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off” Michael Caine

I also carry a few of those little canisters in the gas locker but worry about them not being secured as they might damage a pipe if they rattle around in there.

So what I’m hearing so far is:
Ok to carry a sealed, secure gas cylinder in any part of the van which is vented to the outside but not vented to the inside. I guess it should have a flammable gas label too?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Thought you had to dash back to work Mr Chrysalis at 4.30am. All you've done since it seems, is post on the forum after you left Old Mo's :rolleyes: .

No wonder the country is going to the dogs. :LOL:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Worth checking how many bottles you can carry when boarding a ferry or using the Shuttle. When I worked for the ferries it was two bottles max and I doubt it's changed.

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Worth checking how many bottles you can carry when boarding a ferry or using the Shuttle. When I worked for the ferries it was two bottles max and I doubt it's changed.
I wonder if they include the little camping Faz canisters?

OP
OP
Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Thought you had to dash back to work Mr Chrysalis at 4.30am. All you've done since it seems, is post on the forum after you left Old Mo's :rolleyes: .

No wonder the country is going to the dogs. :LOL:
Clearly, I cannot answer you as I’m far to busy doing worky type things like planning for meetings about what meetings to have and organising after action reviews

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
back when I was working, we were limited to carrying no more than 2 calor type cylinders per vehicle. I would expect the regulations to be the same for motorhomes

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I carried a Calor Patio Gas bottle in the garage for a BBQ .

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I wonder if they include the little camping Faz canisters?

I don't think so, we never confiscated any Camping Gaz canisters, only bottles and fuel containers. The companies are constraint by the Carriage of Dangerous Goods Regulations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back