LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I never have the bikes on the back without the Red/White marker board, and it's correct alignment is relative to which side of the water you are driving on. ;)
Yep you see a lot numpties in the UK with them on the wrong way. For clarification the stripes should point downwards towards the offside of the vehicle, so for the UK you have to fit them upside-down to be legal.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

hands up all those who have never been a numptie ..

take the test..

left the hook up cable attached and drove off.. ? Yip
left a roof light open.. ? Yip
left a sat dish up ? yip
drove off and left the wife ? Yip

yip.. four out of four.. I qualify as an numptie :D

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
just the one. left roof light up . and took it of at a barrier at the super market.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a Thought? Does this equally apply to a Mobility Scooter, on a rear Rack?. I would assume it might or would it be exempt because of what it is?

Pete.
Yes Pete.. it is ANYTHING that extends beyond the motorhome extremities

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

take the test..

left a sat dish up ? yip

Jim, you forgot the TV areial on the Georgie Boy at Ferry Meadows, P/boro, back in 2005. ;)

Now then, how come I remember that, but I often can't remember what I did yesterday.
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png

Cheers,

Jock.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So realistically if you're not going to put bikes on it it would make sense to remove two bolts and unhook it rather than cart it around Europe :LOL:

That's sensible........in the UK (y) but here , as it is on the logbook as an attachment to the vehicle if you got a pedantic trafico he could actually fine me for not having something there that was on the log book ?? :LOL:
You can't make this stuff up.Also if I forgot to replace it before taking for the ITV ( mot) it would automatically fail as the first thing they check is that all the additions & standard items listed on log book are there .
On my car they check that the auto box, sunroof & bull bars are there. Why the first 2 are actually on the log book is anyones guess.
If I really don't want it then I would have to pay to have it removed from the log book.
Anyway it is useful for storing or transporting stuff like the ramps I bought in the UK & tucked behind it for the return journey. (y)

Just a Thought? Does this equally apply to a Mobility Scooter, on a rear Rack?. I would assume it might or would it be exempt because of what it is?

Pete.
Yes.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

take the test..

left a sat dish up ? yip

Mmm Done most of them except the wife, but might try that next time we/I leave for the next holiday;)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There's a wrong way round, I store mine on the roof !!
Ah but those 8 out of 10 who stow their aerial the wrong way around have no idea that they are doing it wrong and they look at others to see if they are the same without realising they are wrong too as the correct ones are in the minority, this is muppetry personified

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Ah but those 8 out of 10 who stow their aerial the wrong way around have no idea that they are doing it wrong and they look at others to see if they are the same without realising they are wrong too as the correct ones are in the monority, this is muppetry personified
Honestly never thought of it until I got my current mh as my old one was round. I will now check to make sure its stored correctly.(y)

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Morning all, just read this thread & the notion of left hand drive bikes. Yes, they do exist over here. For some reason they see fit to fit the brake levers reversed, ie. front is left,rear right. Worth a thought if you hire !
Barrie.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
On my van there is a red spot on the aerial pole which has to line up with another red spot on the van wall so that it is correctly positioned. My aerial when correctly positioned according to the van instructions has the long thin end facing forward which is at odds with what you are advising Techno!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
See "Travelling"
Broken Link Removed

When travelling adjust the antenna so that it points to the rear of the vehicle to reduce the possibility of damage when travelling.

As I said 8 out of 10

Last edited:
Reactions: LAM

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Sorry but that makes you a muppet :LOL:
The red dot denotes the front of the aerial
For the purpose of travel the front must face the rear (y)

Oh Dear! That's made my day! Which muppet do you think is appropriate? I suppose Gonzo as his big nose is closest to the aerial shape!:(

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I stow my status aerial pointing the wrong way, as the 'right' way round it casts a small shadow on one of my solar panels.

I also have an aluminium red/white reflective doobry screwed to my back box

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Spain legally requires a metal board.
Just to be slightly pedantic but the 53cm square hatched red/white with 4 reflectors that we are all extolling the virtues of are , in fact , not the correct marker board under EU rules . This board is meant for denoting OVERHANGING loads , i.e. steel on lorries or items extending past the rear on a roof rack or trailer etc. This is why the Spanish & Italians insist on steel boards that cannot be degraded by sun /wind, or damaged by overhanging trees ,etc.

The actual marker board that is meant to be used for, fixed extensions to the vehicles overall length i.e. bike racks, tow bar mounted racks, rear lockers,extendable m/c racks ,etc; is still red/white crosshatch but is 20cm in height & somewhere around 1,44m width. The is is to ensure that it covers the majority of the width of vehicle.

You do here.
The manufacturers length, width ,height are on the log book & any additions have to be homologated & the bike rack, which I have but never use requires a Board even when not in use as it is deemed to be a " fixed extension "to the vehicles length. Foreign vehicles would be treated the same by a Trafico GC with the hump.
Anything overhanging a roof rack to the rear without a board would be a fine as well.
Gus I have sent you a PM regards these Marker boards

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yep you see a lot numpties in the UK with them on the wrong way. For clarification the stripes should point downwards towards the offside of the vehicle, so for the UK you have to fit them upside-down to be legal.
... wouldn't that just be a quarter turn as surely upside down would still have the stripes going the same way! :D

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
We have a tow-bar mounted bike rack with trailer board, do we still require the red white stripe board with the reflectors,
Thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We have a tow-bar mounted bike rack with trailer board, do we still require the red white stripe board with the reflectors,
Thanks
Not sure if it is required in your case,but I would be fitting it Phil, as the projection is still the same. You are less likely to get pulled if it's not required, but more likely if it's missing. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back