Carrying a motorcycle (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
I am wanting to carry a small motorcycle in a future motorhome.
See that big advantages of visiting places without necessarily taking the MH.
At the moment looking at the Pilote P740c, height adjustable island bed over a large garage, usable weight 550kgs. Max weight of vehicle 3500kgs. We aim to spend trips of a month round Europe.
What experiences have people had of keeping a motorcycle in the garage.
I understand that weight is a big consideration so there is a possibility of a 4400kgs upgrade of the vehicle but yet to explore this.
Looking at a light motorcycle of 125cc Honda do a MSX weighing 100kgs but this is small 125 full size bikes weight 120k. Not keen on a small wheeled scooter.
Any help, advice experiences would be helpful in sorting out my thoughts.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I think the issue will be the weight over the rear axle (as oppose to the total vehicle weight).

Would think the 4.4T chassis upgrade would sort this. As I'm looking at a new Pilote myself, I can tell you the upgrade cost is £1250 to upgrade to 150BHP and £1200 to upgrade the chassis.

I've spoken to a Pilote dealer who says it's not necessary to have the alloy wheels as well, but these are available with AirTop suspension for an extra £1240. The AirTop suspension allows you to make the ride firmer when wanted (imagine useful with more weight in the garage).

I'm taking all three of these options if (when lol) I order.

Just as a fyi, I've done a sheet with all the weights of a Pilote P740GJ. I've attached it to this message.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• P740GJ Options and Costs.pdf
    87.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Believe that only when you have the weight tickets in your hand. I have to say that 550kg load on a vehicle big enough for a fixed bed over the garage sounds optimistic within a 3500kg max.

Totally agree - these figures are misleading IMO. From another post on the same Pilote:

David, Bugsy,

I don't just use the official payload numbers in the Pilote brochure but instead I strip all the figures down to the bones to ensure that I know what weight I have available, axle dependent :D

The 2017 brochure states that MIRO is calculated on the following:

1. No driver (Unlike some brands which include a 75kg driver in the MIRO).
2. 20 litres of water
3. Diesel tank @ 90% full.
4. 1 x gas bottle at 90% full.
5. There's also the European Leglisation crap about the +/-5% variation in the basic & standard equipment for the MIRO.

If you purchase a Sensation-specced MY17 130BHP Euro-6 P740GJ with an MTPLM of 3.65T, without any additional equipment being added, then by my estimation the following figures apply:

1. Sensation Payload (Basic): 530kg
2. HDV Light Chassis Increase to 3.65T: 150kg.
3. 20-litres of water: 20kg
4. 90% Fuel (90ltr tank so 81ltr @ 0.85kg/ltr): 68.85kg
5. 1 x 13kg Gas bottle with tare weight of: 14.5kg
6. 90% of 13kg gas: 11.7kg

Total: 795.05

..................everything thereafter is easy to calculate for my simple mind, including such things as the upgrade from 130BHP to 150BHP which equates to 11kg according to Pilote.

Very best,

Andrew

So the Payload figure doesn't even include the driver. Let alone passengers.....

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Totally agree you need weighbridge figures. Difficult if van is not yet available. We bought a hymer with rear bed over garage. Rear axle p!ated at 2400kg.
When loaded with 110kg scooter in garage and all the usual kit we weighed 2420kg on rear axle.
An upgrade to2500kg sorted us out.
Also most bikes are quoted dry weight, add fuel, helmets, topbox, rack and rampetc...
Plus the spare wheel not supplied!

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
I've been through the same issue. Converting a Yamaha TTR 250 trail bike to accept a pillion & putting it on a rack on the back of a Autocruise Starburst. It was still too much weight over the rear axle according to a weighbridge; despite me working out the theoretical weight compliance. With a later motorhome, I bought an Easylifter hydratrail and trailered my Triumph Tiger 800 XRX and then Bonnevlle T100 for many thousands of miles (through Europe as well) without difficulty (I adapted the hydratrail slightly to make live a bit easier & to add a higher level of security). I protected my bike by making padding from an old duvet and covering that with a waterproof Oxford bike cover. The beauty to the Hydratrail is that it has castor wheels, so reversing is dead easy.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a 90cc easyrider dax , carries two if your not too big .
had mine 16yrs now great little bike .
these days you can buy a similar one for less than a grand and they weigh about 80kg.
not a serious m,bike but great for just nosing around on .
have had mine with my 17 stone and a mates 20 stone . that was a bit of a squeeze but we had a few trips into gib on shopping trips .
he was impressed and later bought a 110cc version for in his camper.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Another consideration is whether the garage is sealed, otherwise petrol fumes could enter the bedroom area. This happened to me, so another vote for a Hydra-trail.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I think you'll struggle to carry a bike and keep within 3,500Kg, especially if it's on a rack. This one weighs about 160Kg and we are right on the limit for the rear axle and a total weight of 3,850 once we are loaded.
22282006_10212374660993566_3591915109429224919_n.jpg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
here,s a pic .of us playing in the sand in maroc . it does work. yes its not the most comfortable . but it was handy years ago if parked outside gibralter and two of us wanted to go in to gib . saves lots queing to get in or out .

Attachments

• P1140064.JPG
    P1140064.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 90

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a Carado T447 , i got it up plated to 3850 and put air suspension on it, ( The same as i did on the Fendt ) and carry a 125 cc Lexmoto Gladiator Scooter weighing 110kg . in the garage.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I got our suppliers (BCS Manchester) to weigh our new to us Moho before we bought it to give us a definitive payload which they did with pleasure and did comment that no one else had ever asked them to do this. I think the payload on our mohos and modern caravans is diabolical, we had ours uprated to 5250kgs so a scoot on the tow bar was a piece of cake. Fully loaded for our Spain trip, gas tank, fuel tank, water tank all full. Wife on board and over the weighbridge we went and I was delighted with the readout.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
honda did 50cc or 70cc . jincheng that did mine took the 50cc with 4 gears and a clutch and built it to 90cc .like i say had mine since 2001 its been all over europe .morocco. and i can say gets abused .
it has broke two speedo cables while playing in the desert and on mountain tracks . hasd 4 batteries and one rear tyre . chinese motor bikes are ok. but some better than others . fluff brown imported mine . was a famous trials etc rider . they chose jingchen as he thought it was good quality and i say he was right .
mind i have had a few lifan m,bikes and they were ok as well. had 50cc to 250cc .
some bmw bikes are made in china . plus loads car /van parts are but built in germany just so they can say built in germany not made in germany.
dont need anything in morocco.
mind in uk you only need crash hat.
i ride a 1500cc here in uk . jeans ,t shirt, cut off, what more do i need oh a cut away skid lid .
i do wear strong boots but they fir over my orthotics on my legs .
mind that pic was before i had supports for my legs .
nothing to do with m,bike riding ,i have charcot /marie /tooth thats why i need orthotics .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With an adjustable height bed the garage is unlikely to be sealed from the living area so petrol fumes could be a problem.
On our Hymer there are ventilation grills between the garage and hab area not good if you want to carry a scooter or motorbike.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's no way on earth a large island bed MH is going to be usable at 3500kg, it just isn't possible once you've got yourself, partner etc and all your kit on board, along with water, fuel, gas etc. It really annoys me that MH dealers still sell these at that weight to the unsuspecting public.

For any MH you intend to buy get a weighbridge certificate before you go ahead, it's the only sure way to find out what the exact payload left is. If its a new MH so you can't do this then get a dealer to obtain confirmation from the manufacturer stating what is included and more importantly what isn't!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as a kid in the 60,s my mum had a c50 stepthrough . i remember seeing the monkey bikes and honda dax in the show rooms . they even let me ride one in the yard . my parents couldnt afford to get me one . but these days i ride around and i,m 8-10 yrs old again . folk laugh at me when they see me on it . but i dont care i,m laughing from the minute i cross my leg over the seat.
even more when on the narrow roads round here that i used to sneak off on my mums stepthrough. couldnt use main roads might have got caught . its still great fun .
keep the big bike for long runs these days .

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We carried a 125kg m/bike on a rack on a Burstner Aviano 684 plated at 4000kgs. Overall weight was not a problem. However, it was definately a case of the tail wagging the dog. Handling around the interminable roundabouts found in France & Spain was not impressive. Being frontwheel drive meant intensive understeering. I won't mention the wheel skids when traction was lost on steep inclines. I must admit that my confidence was shot after experiencing wheelspin and loss of traction on more than 2 occasions. I have removed the rack and keft the bike at home. (Having your m/bike inside your garage and therefore nearer the rear axle will help.)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The KTM Duke 390 looks a nice bike and only 137kg. I'm chomping at the bit to get rid of the Honda Vision, it's so damn practical though. Wish it would just blow up :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i didnt know china was making them when i bought mine 16yrs ago. i had actually gone upto exeter to look at the drifter and saw what i thought was a honda dax . it was the easyrider jincheng dax 90cc . i ended up buying the drifter and the dax .
i had built the truck garage to take a dax following john speeds measurements in his travel van book.
it just fits . well for height . i can and have had three in the garage at times .
used mine today and heard a sqeak from the front brake shoes . looks like i might have to change the front brakes . but cant moan .
i dare say i had better check the rear while i,m playing about . you would think things would last for ever but they dont .
hopefully my little dax will see me out , mind these days i use it more and more . beats walking .
the local kids wave and cheer , they think its amazing , little bike ,big bike ,mini artic as a camper . mates turn up with all sorts of truck campers etc or custom cars . they wonder why their grandad is so miserable .

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back