Carrying a canoe.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by jumar, Oct 4, 2018.

1. jumar

jumar Funster

Ratings:
    +2,473
    No problem with the 32kg on my car roof, I have a Peugeot Partner Rancho which is a strong old beast.....putting 32 kg on my Fiamma bike rack that protrudes above the roofline that caused me to post the question, Any thoughts on problems doing this?
    Interesting replies so far...

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,123
    Only possible problem I can think of is that it would catch the wind as you travel so maybe think about making some sort of 'cowl' to deflect the worst of it and prevent it putting strain on your securing straps etc, either fixed to the kayak or to the top of the MH ... thinking about this a bit, if you made the cowl so that it overhung and allowed the end of the kayak to slot into it, it would make securing it quicker/easier.

Which kayak are you thinking of getting?

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,842
    See, told you I was a muppet!:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. jumar

jumar Funster

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Exactly my thoughts....the type of Canoe could be a Galaxy which I believe is British or something made here in Spain... currently trekking in Northern Spain and will visit the outlet near home later this month dracokayak is the outlet....Google their website...they have some interesting options for me.

5. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Ratings:
    +12,999
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  6. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +29,123
    I've been pondering this again and wonder if it would put too much strain on your bike rack it that was all that was taking the weight of the kayak - bike racks 'bounce' about horrendously at times - just follow MH with one when it goes over speed bumps - so on second thoughts I'd want another means to take some of the weight off the bike rack.

Would you be able to put a support for the end of the kayak below the rear bumper? I'm thinking you could have something that simply slots onto fixings on the chassis below, this would mean that the weight is taken by the chassis itself rather than it being on the bike rack, so no worry about it putting too much 'pressure' on your bike rack and distorting your rear panel. We has a scooter rack made for a previous MH that slotted into 2 x square section hollow bars attached to the chassis members, the rack had 2 smaller bars on which we slotted into the hollow bars and then bolted on to keep it in situ, it worked a treat and was easily removed for storage ... in fact I've still got the rack in the corner of the garage ... it wouldn't take much to made something like this for a kayak.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. jumar

jumar Funster

Ratings:
    +2,473
    I am honoured that you have taken the task to hand....I fully get what you are saying, your ideas are worth putting into practice to help support the Kayak.
    My Fiamma rack which is mounted on the fixings by Hymer from new...it looks like they placed the fittings on the strongest part of the rear panel....however extra support would help.....the rack is capable of 50kg my Kayak would be 32kg.....but weight is only one factor....stress caused by leverage is another.
    I am looking into the Fiamma rack as providing secondary support, perhaps none load bearing, the chassis would be the main point to load on to therefore making the Fiamma an upright mounting. It looks like we are getting these ideas together. Thanks for your input....

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. andy63

andy63 Funster

Ratings:
    +14,675
    Depending on the height above the bumper the bike rack sits, that would be a good option if theres any doubt about the ability of the bike rack to take the weight..
    Ill whisper this so as not to cause any upset to folk:LOL:..

I made a rack /shelf to carry a GENERATOR , by converting a back step on an transit and for a bit extra security and support put in an extension to the box section on the underside....
    I know its most probably a bit lighter than a kayak but still 22 or so kg..
    Pictures attached..
    Andy
    20181008_175537.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. jumar

jumar Funster

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Cheers....It appears that we will be needing some additional support....just as you suggested.

10. andy63

andy63 Funster

Ratings:
    +14,675
    Not me... minxy...(y):LOL:

11. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +29,123
  12. jumar

jumar Funster

Ratings:
    +2,473
  13. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +27,034
    Anything like that here would have to be fitted professionally by someone possessing the paperwork to be able to add it to the log book. either that or it has to be easily removable for when it goes for its itv (MOt) otherwise it would fail.

As above Martin. Need to be easily removable or it will fail the itv.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. jumar

jumar Funster

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Exactly Gus....let the ideas come my way, we like yourself know the ITV implications...thanks for the reminder my friend. Very helpful, as usual.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Waveski

Waveski Funster

Ratings:
    +72
    Hi. I carry my waveski vertically on the back of my PVC. I use a Fiamma ladder which distance the supports wider on the door. My Waveski is 2.75 metres and weighs 15kgs. This works well but your set up would be diffferent. From my experience to date I would suggest you will need the supports to be as wide apart as possible. Also it is ok for me to position the Waveski on my own in order to strap it in place, a 32 kg canoe would be a different beast and would probably need two people or a lot of ingenuity. You would as have to consider a lighting board as the canoe would obviously sit out behind the vehicle. I hope this helps.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. jumar

jumar Funster

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Help it does..thanks...lots of ideas ticking away in my head right now....if I had trailer board provision then a tow bar might be a possibility to build from. Thanks.