Carrying a bit of "extra timber", a cautionary tale (1 Viewer)

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
So, two weeks after picking up our, new to us, MoHo we can finally drive it... legally :Eeek:

We spent quite a bit of time looking at the layouts available, finish and style of MoHo's available and thought long and hard about what would work for us if we were away and wilding for a few weeks. To cut a really long story a little bit shorter after taking the advice available here and from @Drexxer we decided we wanted a Burstner with either fixed rear twin beds or a rear island bed, plus a few other requirements, eventually we found the perfect match for us up in Cupar, Scotland, the MoHo exceeded our requirements and just as importantly, for us, we felt comfortable with the dealer.

After a bit of a 'mare of a drive to pick it up on the Thursday, we excitedly loaded up the few bits and bobs that we'd taken out of our little caravan, Bannock found his preferred seat (perfect for practicing "nose art" when he gets bored), and we headed for @swanseajack13 's meet at Pembry...

DSC_5203.JPG

Not being Van drivers we loved the new perspective that being sat higher up gave us.

Everyone at Pembry made us feel really welcome, Bill from @Ambilkate had reserved the "noobs" a particularly flat spot and the evening entertainment was a laugh to say the least, just in case any other noobs aren't aware "Jacob's table" is bring a plater/pot of food or box of wine to share :whistle:

On the Saturday evening we were talking to @petenshirley and I mentioned that I wanted to put her on a weighbridge at some point to see how heavy she was (no not Chris, the MoHo :rolleyes: ), and bugger me backwards with a left handed tyre iron, Pete just happened to have a set of portable scales with him. Before heading for home on the Sunday we went through the process of weighing each wheel and the cunning device completed some fiendish calculations... She's plated at 3500Kg and the scales were reading well over (n) Pete suggested that the scales hadn't been calibrated in a while and that there was a margin of error too, so we dumped any and all fluids that we could and hoped that we had an event free drive back :pray2:

After taking most of our additions out of the MoHo I took her to a local weighbridge on the Wednesday and with no water, a full tank of fuel, 1/2 gas and no passenger or driver she came in at 3580... Now I know I carry a bit of extra timber but losing some of that wasn't going to help. :Eeek: So Five days after picking her up we were the proud owners of a Static Caravan.

Research on this forum turned up a lead to SVTech and after a very informative conversation with Gareth of SVTech it turned out that it was a simple process to uprate her to 3850Kg with no modifications required :clap2:.

Once the form was filled out and sent off we called our contact, Chris, at St Andrew's Motorhomes, after telling her the story she was shocked/horrified and immediately said she would look after the cost.

On Thursday Gareth had the new plate posted out to us 1st class, before he had received payment and yesterday it dropped onto our doormat :hi5: .

We still need a return visit to the weighbridge to check each axle loading but at least we're back on the road.

We have to give huge Kudos to Gareth and Carol at SVTech for being soooo helpful and speedy in turning around our order and for going way beyond what was expected, also to Chris at St Andrew's Motorhomes who has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with... :cheers:

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Kudos to the dealer for apologising and instantly saying they would pay the up-rate fee.

Nice to read a positive story about a dealer :)

Glad it's all sorted and you are happy with your new van.

Upvote 0

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
You do have a C1 licence though, don't you? :cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Glad you got it all sorted .
Loving your Border. Ours , Buster , loves “nose art “ love the description !
Next time he does a masterpiece I’ll explain to Ralph , the hidden beauty in it :laughing:
A8E96ECD-FD95-49CC-89AB-8594047E180B.png

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
Red, I sympathise.

We have been through a similar process with our Burstner. Our journey started when I put a tow ball mounter bike carrier with bikes on a decided to take it to a weighbridge. With only fuel and gas on we were way over the3.5t limit.

The previous owner had kindly added loads of bits and pieces, which are all very nice but left the van with a laughable payload.

We to used Sv to update to 3850kgs, however we still really struggle with the 2000kgs limit on the rear axle. So with the assistance of sv we will get air assist in the next six months or so. I was looking at the Dunlop style system for almost, however Markle have put me off this, as they have stopped supplying it due to to many incorrectly fitted kits.

So I am busy doing the lottery to aford the fancier VB system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So you have gained less than 300kg and still need to put in some water a driver and passenger and no doubt a few more bits and bob's not to mention some cheap plonk on the way home from France so you are still going to have to be careful and DON'T get a bigger dog, sorry be a touch negative.

Martin

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Red, I sympathise.

We have been through a similar process with our Burstner. Our journey started when I put a tow ball mounter bike carrier with bikes on a decided to take it to a weighbridge. With only fuel and gas on we were way over the3.5t limit.

The previous owner had kindly added loads of bits and pieces, which are all very nice but left the van with a laughable payload.

We to used Sv to update to 3850kgs, however we still really struggle with the 2000kgs limit on the rear axle. So with the assistance of sv we will get air assist in the next six months or so. I was looking at the Dunlop style system for almost, however Markle have put me off this, as they have stopped supplying it due to to many incorrectly fitted kits.

So I am busy doing the lottery to aford the fancier VB system.
Is it the 2000kg limit or the springs not coping with 2000kg , if its the former fitting air assist wont increase the limit only the ability to deal with overload , still illegal

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Mmmm . . . original weighbridge figure @ 3580kg with no-one aboard, now uprated to 3850kg minus 3580kg = 270kg of payload - with no-one aboard, 2 people @ circa 75kgs each leaves just 120kg of payload.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
Is it the 2000kg limit or the springs not coping with 2000kg , if its the former fitting air assist wont increase the limit only the ability to deal with overload , still illegal

Sv have advised that with the air assist we can take the axle load up to 2240kgs, which with our current payload will be more than enough and will enable us to take bikes.

I have looked at changing vans but we are 100% happy with the van, only other issues are relatively minor and due to being used for 7 years and 36k miles. So we would only change for another Burstner with larger payload. But that would be more expensive than getting the air assist.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
OP didn't say no driver...

Yes he did.

'' After taking most of our additions out of the MoHo I took her to a local weighbridge on the Wednesday and with no water, a full tank of fuel, 1/2 gas and no passenger or driver she came in at 3580... ''

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On Thursday Gareth had the new plate posted out to us 1st class, before he had received payment and yesterday it dropped onto our doormat :hi5: .

We still need a return visit to the weighbridge to check each axle loading but at least we're back on the road.
Glad you got it sorted but you can't be back on the road until you have waited 4 or 5 weeks until you get the new V5 from DVLA and they will probably get it wong. They have a habit of changing the revenue weight but leaving the MAM at 3500 on our last van it took over 4 months for them to get it right.

Upvote 0

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Your Tax will be cheaper as well now Red
As you will be classed as phgv instead of plg
.when we brought our new van we had been driving it illegal for 3yrs we didt know until we had our first service away from the company that we brought it from. Trading standards and vosa was involved and we had to have air assist added then vtech did all the appropriate paperwork and replayed . Good job Bill had passed his test in the time scale so he could drive it . Feel sorry for those that are not aware of this .
Kate

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Sv have advised that with the air assist we can take the axle load up to 2240kgs, which with our current payload will be more than enough and will enable us to take bikes.

I have looked at changing vans but we are 100% happy with the van, only other issues are relatively minor and due to being used for 7 years and 36k miles. So we would only change for another Burstner with larger payload. But that would be more expensive than getting the air assist.

Sorry didn't realise you were doing a rerate as well as having the air assist at same time

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
You do have a C1 licence though, don't you? :cautious:

Yes, and we've got a few years before we hit 70, but thanks for the heads up... (y)

...They have a habit of changing the revenue weight but leaving the MAM at 3500 on our last van it took over 4 months for them to get it right.

Yep, read that somewhere on here so will be including a covering letter (y)

So you have gained less than 300kg and still need to put in some water a driver and passenger and no doubt a few more bits and bob's not to mention some cheap plonk on the way home from France so you are still going to have to be careful and DON'T get a bigger dog, sorry be a touch negative.

Yep, that's more than enough for us, I've told Chris that if she wan'ts to put any more in it then she has to loose that amount of weight :D I don't expect to be alive for much longer...

Cheers
Chris, Red and Bannock

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
So Mrs ignorant here, what happens when you increase your payload allowance please, and do lots of owners do this?

Cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
So Mrs ignorant here, what happens when you increase your payload allowance please, and do lots of owners do this?

This is information received from SVTech...

SVTech said:
The important things to bear in mind when uprating above 3500kg are as follows:

• Going above 3500kg requires a C1 category Licence holder to drive. Drivers having passed their test prior to 1997 usually have this as standard.
  • On reaching 70 years of age, you will need to take a medical test to continue to drive over 3500kg. DVLA forms D2 & D4.
    For medical letters you may wish to consider Broken Link Removed, who offer a cheaper alternative to GP charges.
  • Speed limits in Europe are lower for Motorhomes over 3500kg. In most cases, you are unaffected by the weight change in the UK, as the UK work on the unladen weight not exceeding 3050kg.
  • You must inform your insurance company of the uprate (previous customers have not expericenced an increase)
  • The MOT class for Motorhomes/Motor Caravan is Class 4
  • You should check your recovery policy as some restrict European cover on motorhomes over 3500kg.

I have no idea how many people uprate but SVTech weighed a lot of MoHo's at a recent show and I think of over 100 that were running overweight only 6 had gone back to them to uprate (can't remember the exact figures), a scary thought bearing in mind you're not insured if you're overweight...

Cheers
Red, Bannock and Chris

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back