Carrefour? (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
So, on our first trip abroad in m/h and popped in to Carrefour for a shop for essentials.
Is it just me that's noticed that it's VERY expensive for stuff in there.
Any tips on a slightly more economic 'loaf of bread' for this France newbie?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you are looking for a steam baked tasteless white sliced loaf then they are expensive. Buy some baguettes instead, they are cheaper and much nicer. But remember they do not have any preservatives in so they will go stale quickly. So you have to buy daily, or, if you really want to, do what Madame does and buy bread twice a day, for lunch and dinner.

We tend to find French prices are similar, or a little more expensive, to equivalent items over here nowadays. Gone are the days when you could stock up on cheap cheese and other groceries over there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
So, on our first trip abroad in m/h and popped in to Carrefour for a shop for essentials.
Is it just me that's noticed that it's VERY expensive for stuff in there.
Any tips on a slightly more economic 'loaf of bread' for this France newbie?

You think Carrefour is expensive for a loaf of bread!!............try an 'artisan' local Boulangerie:D

OP
OP
Purple2
Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
'Loaf of bread' was a figure of speech. Thanks for the tips though and Lidl and Aldi now in sat nav!
General question about that and clearly no definitive answer but as we are in a fairly hefty van do you guys experience any issues in Lidl and Aldi car parks?

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
'Loaf of bread' was a figure of speech. Thanks for the tips though and Lidl and Aldi now in sat nav!
General question about that and clearly no definitive answer but as we are in a fairly hefty van do you guys experience any issues in Lidl and Aldi car parks?
Judge each on its own merits but generally no problem, we've found bread to vary from €o.35 to €1.45, do avoid the 'artisans '

Rather than go shopping with preconceived meals in mind, we now go with the flow , make it up as we go and with prices that are low, particularly in Aldi & Lidl

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Generally no problems with getting into or parking. Some shops are really small, but we tend to drive and then look at the Lidl and decide whether or not we will get in

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Carrefour (and most of the others) are eye-watering expensive compared to UK.
3euros for a kilo of carrots or onions, 4euros for a kilo of French apples - madness!
Basic baguette appears to have broken the 1euro level in many places, never thought I'd see the day...
Lidl are the answer, same price as at home.
Baked items must be the cheapest in France but being honest, they're not that tasty and we tend to buy elsewhere...
Markets and roadside sellers probably the best place for fruit/veg/deli (y)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, I've found Carrefour extremely expensive compared with the alternatives. I'm always surprised that there are so many people there doing their weekly shop. I only go to pick up something that I can't find at the local
markets or LIDL and usually come out in the verge of a nervous breakdown making my way past the bicycles, barbecues, bras and engine oils just to find a packet of red lentils!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Remember in France, Aldi and Lidl don't sell fresh milk, none that I can see anyway. For that you need carrefour or one of the other premium type supermarkets

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We like Carrefour and the other French supermarkets and also much prefer the bread from proper boulangeries, artisan or otherwise, to any other bread anywhere. Even the so called artisan bread in the UK is generally not a patch on what's available in France. The crap you get pre-sliced in a plastic bag in the super market is not bread so isn't worth comparing.

We're quite happy to pay a more for quality produce and ingredients wherever we happen to be. We don't buy or eat rubbish at home so don't see any reason to when we're away.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Boulangerie or market stall for proper bread.
Price of bread has to be displayed at every sale point, whether huge supermarket, village 'pain depot' or boulangerie.
Carrefour and LeClerc are probably the more expensive supermarkets. I found Auchan reasonable. Inter marches and Eco-Marche usually cheaper, then Aldi, Lidl. There's another really cheap one but can't remember the name.
They also vary considerably depending on area.
I always preferred shopping in my local markets, sometimes a little dearer but you meet the growers and producers.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The poor exchange rate has made everything in Europe dearer than to was a while ago for UK visitors and is likely to get worse as time goes on....for some reason.......
It also depends on which Carrefour you visited, if its near the ports or in big cities / tourist areas, then it might be dearer, most local supermarkets, we have found, are similarly priced or cheaper than the UK, but you will find the stuff the locals buy is much cheaper. If you want to buy stuff similar to what you have at home, then be prepared to pay more.
Best bet for fruit and veg are local markets away from the tourist resorts and local boulangeries for bread and patisseries..
Fruit and veg is usually fresher and tastier than you can buy in the UK, especially where we are in Brittany.
The price of traditional bread is fixed throughout France, if you are after a sliced white loaf full of preservatives, then it will be expensive.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Currently in France and have been shopping at Super U. No cheaper than at home for most products, wine is an obvious exception. What I do enjoy is the cheese selection, not just row upon row of cheddar!! Will probably be a stone heavier when I get back home as I'm trying a different cheese each day, along with the obligatory baguette for lunch.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Took a while before the price of bread turned into a Brexit thread

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As well as Lidl and Aldi, try Netto.

They have some excellent wines as well, at good prices. Not as big a range as the big hypermarkets but decent value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Purple2
Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the useful tips.