Carpets or Vinyl? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We removed the carpets from our van when it was new. The wood look vinyl underneath looks great, but it's not as comfy to walk on. It's easy to keep clean if grass gets brought in on your shoes but as autumn approaches a warmer floor would be nice
What floor covering do you have in your MH?

Regards
Robert

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We have the vinyl wood look but I buy the cheap runners from Dunelm Mill, easy and cheap to replace when get past it.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you fit vinyl why would you take your shoes off, surely shoes on until you go to bed

Or fit carpet/leave and shoes off at the door

Or am i missing something :D

Bear in mind we don't own a MH yet :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you fit vinyl why would you take your shoes off, surely shoes on until you go to bed

Problem comes when you come in through the door, its a step, so hardly any room to remove or store shoes before stepping on the internal floor surface.
We have one of those rubber edged carpet mats that can go in the washing machine, right by the door. Catches most of the dirt, so I'm hoping that if we re fit the carpets, they will keep pretty clean.
Robert

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

It doesn't matter what the floor is made of, outdoor shoes will bring in grit, mud, grass and other less mentionables, such as squashed slugs etc.
Carpets are quiet, warm and soft to walk on when you get up at night to check the loo is still working. The downside is you need to be disciplined about taking your shoes off before coming inside. But there are entire civilisations out there who have learned this trick!

It doesn't matter what the floor is made of, outdoor shoes will bring in grit, mud, grass and other less mentionables, such as squashed slugs etc.
Carpets are quiet, warm and soft to walk on when you get up at night to check the loo is still working. The downside is you need to be disciplined about taking your shoes off before coming inside. But there are entire civilisations out there who have learned this trick!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Even with my vinyl floor shoes are off at the door

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
image.jpg Just laid new carpet :) has to be carpet and shoes off on door mat !!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Carpets re fitted , mat by the entrance door, tailored rubber mat for the cab and a new NO SHOES rule
Sorted !

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Carpet over cushion floor.

Hymie.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Vinyl floor with washable B&Q mats. E carpet supplied with e can is carefully rolled and stored in our loft ready for the next owners, I think the original owner also never walked on it.....hey this MH could go to the breakers with Virgin carpets

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We removed our manufacturer supplied carpets and as we already had some very large 'dirt grabber' (DG) matting (rubber backed) I cut it so it fits perfectly - I did it in several pieces for easy removal and cleaning. Our current DG matting is bright green but I've just picked up another large rug, little used, in brown about 8ft x 4ft, so once hubby has given that a good clean with our heated Vax carpet washer (a brilliant power tool that I allow him play with!) I'll fit it in place of the green one which is now getting a bit marked having been in 2 motorhomes to date! This type of matting is ideal as it can be easily cut to fit, doesn't need to have the edges bound, doesn't slide around on the vinyl flooring, any liquid spilt onto it is absorbed by the tufts and also doesn't go through the rubber backing, and it can be easily washed, even put in the washing machine if the pieces are small enough.

We've had lots of different carpets, rugs etc and IMV you cannot beat the DG type matting.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we had the caravan always used the carpets, they were in sections, in sections and great quality. With our MH the carpets were are very thin and slide sround when walking on them. I removed them as they are a pain in the neck. I have put a couple of mats down and a small rug. I will be thinking about a longer term solution. Not impressed with the chausson carpets at all!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back