LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
i like the feel of the carpets in the motorhome but as a practicality it us easier without them to run the cordless around and that's what my wife prefers. No carpets.

So, do you keep them in or take them out?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We took the habitation carpets out on delivery. We thought they'd end up looking shabby fairly quickly and I can't be arsed with taking the outdoor shoes off at the door etc.

They're rolled up in the attic at home with the plastic still on them, in case we had to sell the MH earlier than planned. We've kept the cab carpet in place.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Carpets out for us as we have a dog.
Just got one of the turtle type mats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have taken ours out for the same reason as the OP. They will probably only go back in when we sell the MoHo.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
half and half for us. The carpet is in the dinette area where we spend most of the time, but out of the doorway and kitchen. We have runners and mud grabbers in those areas.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Can't really vote because generally we will have them in whilst in this country but we will (didn't this year) take out when we tour Europe again. They were tailor made from the original pattern and they are good and hard wearing but don't need them in hotter climes.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We have done half and half, we have taken out the carpets from the front where the main door is, but kept the fitted carpet at the rear. We have replaced the fitted carpets in the front with washable rugs which can be shaken out and washed in the machine when we get home.
We also notice rather than fading the original carpet shows signs of "tread" constantly being stood in the same place.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Carpets out for us. Our MH has several under floor storage areas that you access through the fooor so with the carpet in place, they'd be hard to use. Last van we didn't order the carpets but this time it came with them. So they're in the loft....

I agree with @Derbyshire wanderer in that why keep them nice for someone else's benefit. If we didn't have the underfloor situation, we'd probably have them in despite dogs. If they get trashed, then so be it - either use them in dirty condition, or take them out. I personally doubt if the presence of carpets would add anything to second hand value (unless of course they are standard fit..)

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
With my last 2 vans we took out the original carpets. Went around the relatives scrounging carpet off cuts. Made templates and a local carpet place edged them for us. No cost for the carpet, £30 for the full edging. Result.
You can get popper sets of Fleabay to hold them down.
Last van had an Axminster.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Our MH came without carpets but we bought some cheep ones from IKEA and we have a little dog. I think the carpets cost us about £30. When they are warn we will just replace with the same. I find it easier to clean, just lift the carpets and give them a shake.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
2/3rds in 1/3rd out so far.

First van in, as we had no dog, second van out as we had a dog, but I put loose laid carpets of my own in, then sold the van with brand new carpets, which added absolutely zilch to the price I got for it.

Third van in and I still have my dog, but that's what the carpets are for; and what's the point of selling on later a used van, with new carpets ?

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Carpets are so old school why do I want to turn my motorhome into a granny flat. :rofl:

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
In for us. Can't beat the feeling of carpet between the toes. Can understand maybe taking them out if you've a dog. We always take our shoes of at the door either when going in someone's house or our van so no problem with it getting dirty.

Shawn

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
1st van replaced the carpets with Gel backed carpet that was lighter & easier to clean. Last van ordered without carpets and made some from Gel backed carpet, it's cheap enough to through away when it gets grubby. Current van again ordered without carpets and made some from Marvel Mats, they are the dust hogging type and can be washed in the washing machine.
I would prefer not to have carpets but gravel on aires and sand from beaches tends to scratch the vinyl & I can't be arsed to take my shoes off every time I go in the van.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Cut the carpet out of our auto trail it was a dark depressing red and fitted some laminate. A lot brighter and easy to sweep.

Andy

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
In for us and we have a dog.
Cannot see the point of saving them for someone else's benefit.
They still look new at 200 plus nights use.

Same here. Although we're not up to 200 nights yet :)

With my last 2 vans we took out the original carpets. Went around the relatives scrounging carpet off cuts. Made templates and a local carpet place edged them for us.

Can I ask why? Were the original ones poor quality? Or a dodgy colour? Stained? Fraying? Some other reason?

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Same here. Although we're not up to 200 nights yet :)

Can I ask why? Were the original ones poor quality? Or a dodgy colour? Stained? Fraying? Some other reason?
The original carpets were quite thin and not great quality. Some of the newer vans can be quite bland and a decent carpet lifts the colour. It's like being in your living room, but in a different location every night.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
In for winter then out for summer, it's also far easier to clean without.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Our van was bought second hand and the existing carpets were a bit tatty and smelt of dog so I took them out and used them as a template for cushion floor. We use a couple of rubber backed mats on top. Much easier to keep clean now.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Definitely carpets in for us(y)
Brian & Jo

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our van came with lovely plain cream carpets - perfect for camping in a field... Not!

Looked pretty in the showroom but totally impractical. Never used and straight in the roof at home, ready for when the van is to be sold in years to come.

Then fitted layer of soft vinyl on top of original vinyl flooring, which I picked up as a large off-cut and which almost matches the original. :) Works a treat to protect the original. Have a few loose mats too, including an inexpensive runner.

Peugeot rubber mat from last van covers black cab carpet.

No worries what the weather throws at us now. (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Still waiting for Lowdhams to supply mine never turned up so I chased them and was told to order them from Hymer would be £640. which I agreed was stupid so I said 'use someone else's as a template and get some cut' which they said fine. but never come yet and it is a year ago I got it from them. It is easier to clean without but I think warmer in winter with them, if they arrive???????????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back