Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,
I've had a thorough search in the 'MH Detailing' section but surprisingly can't find a relevant thread so here we go.............
When we took delivery of our MH in September the carpets were covered in a heavy duty clear plastic protective film which stuck to the carpets. It looked great and stayed really flat with no gathering up and did a cracking job of protecting our beige carpets. The only downside was that it said in big capital letters "DEALER TO REMOVE" all over it. Over the months the sections that receive heavy footfall have started to wear so I've peeled it off and replaced it with a similar carpet protection film I bought from eBay. I now wish I hadn't as the new stuff is rubbish. It's a nightmare to apply, as thin as cling film and is already coming off. In fact cling film would have been better.
So I contacted the dealer who put me in touch with their supplier. He said he could supply me with the original stuff (trade heavy duty quality) for £56 a roll but that would do 30 vans and he couldn't supply me with less than a roll. So that was a no no.
So, can anyone recommend a suitable product / supplier similar to my original film.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had some from an R-V outlet some years ago, which was very handy when we lived in it during a "Self Build". So maybe that is the direction to look.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sell similar in builders merchants to protect house carpets cant say if thick enough for your requirements
Most modern carpets don't need protection,,they shampoo really well.BUSBY.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I took all of mine out and replaced them with turtle mats, I have just sold my old motorhome with the brand new carpets, looked really nice when I fitted them back in to sell. Its a shame to stand on brand new carpets, same as putting things in your garage without protection on the floor :oops:

So whoever buys my motorhome some time in the future will get some lovely brand new carpets, I just think its such a nice thing for the next owner, kind of icing on the cake (y)

The old one, 2004:

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b650.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b650.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 65
  • fullsizeoutput_b63f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b63f.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Why not just enjoy the carpet.
You bought the MH presumably to enjoy your time in it, not to wrap it in cotton wool for the next owner.
Not sure how getting your carpets covered in mud can be described as "enjoying" them?
I suppose we all have different standards as to how we look after our huge investment and looking at the huge number of threads in the MH care section I don't think I'm in the minority. We have a grass pitch and a dog so just trying to prevent our carpets looking like a farm yard over winter. Is that so strange.?

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Hi all,
I've had a thorough search in the 'MH Detailing' section but surprisingly can't find a relevant thread so here we go.............
When we took delivery of our MH in September the carpets were covered in a heavy duty clear plastic protective film which stuck to the carpets. It looked great and stayed really flat with no gathering up and did a cracking job of protecting our beige carpets. The only downside was that it said in big capital letters "DEALER TO REMOVE" all over it. Over the months the sections that receive heavy footfall have started to wear so I've peeled it off and replaced it with a similar carpet protection film I bought from eBay. I now wish I hadn't as the new stuff is rubbish. It's a nightmare to apply, as thin as cling film and is already coming off. In fact cling film would have been better.
So I contacted the dealer who put me in touch with their supplier. He said he could supply me with the original stuff (trade heavy duty quality) for £56 a roll but that would do 30 vans and he couldn't supply me with less than a roll. So that was a no no.
So, can anyone recommend a suitable product / supplier similar to my original film.
Sounds like you have had the best offer as you seem to want to keep carpets permanently covered

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi
When we did a house renovation we used a product called Packexe

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You bought the MH presumably to enjoy your time in it, not to wrap it in cotton wool for the next owner.
Bit like seat covers,,second owner gets the benefit.We now kick our shows off outside the van and wear slippers in the van.Cannot believe how clean it stays.Hardly have to vac now..Well the better half doesn't.BUSBY?

Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Take the carpets out and put down some cheap mats from lidl. They last quite a while, when they are past their best use them on the garage floor at home, and buy some new ones for the van you only need about 4 to cover a fair proportion of the van floor area. That way when you come to sell the van you can put the carpets back in as good as new.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you took delivery in september & it's now early November that is not much over a month for the dealer fit stuff to have worn on the heavy areas.I'd have thought that £56 for a roll that could be changed monthly for 30 months a good deal ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I would do as suggested above.

Take the carpets up and use some of those cheaper mats.
Do this in the winter and put the good ones back down in summer.

I just took our carpets out, put a small cheap mat in at the door.

A lot easier to keep the MoHo clean as well ?

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Roll & Stroll carpet protector £15.99 for a 25mtr roll. I insist all my contractors use this to protect the clients existing floor covering no matter how small the job, Pays dividends every time.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the roll & stroll protector is twice the thickness of the cheap stuff on ebay. you could always lay a second layer to double up

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I took all of mine out and replaced them with turtle mats, I have just sold my old motorhome with the brand new carpets, looked really nice when I fitted them back in to sell. Its a shame to stand on brand new carpets, same as putting things in your garage without protection on the floor :oops:

So whoever buys my motorhome some time in the future will get some lovely brand new carpets, I just think its such a nice thing for the next owner, kind of icing on the cake (y)

The old one, 2004:
Yup we have Turtle mats they are really robust and easy to clean another Funster has said they have used flotex

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
A guy on my local market in Bridgnorth sells really good rugs, presumably made from ends of roll at ridiculously low prices.

For example, I recently bought a rug to put under an office chair, 1200x600 (4'x2') made from all wool carpet and fully whipped for the princely sum of £3.50!

I would take out your carpets for the winter and use something similar. All sorts of sizes available.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I get carpet mats with bound edge for £1 from places like Poundland and Home Bargains. When too muddy they go in the bin bag.

We also take our shoes off and use slippers when inside.

No dog - but plenty of budgie feathers and scattered seeds!

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your ideas / contributions. Load of options I hadn't considered there. We like the carpets and want to be able to see / use them and the previous film that was originally on was perfect. It lay really flat, didn't gather or crinkle (?) when walked on and you couldn't really tell it was on so we'll try the roll and stroll option. Cheers(y)

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you really like the original protection, can't your dealer let uou have some cut from his roll?

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007

That's what we would do. You could get into good practice of always removing shoes before walking onto it, and if indeed it does get a little grubby over time, I would be inclined to give it the once over with a steam cleaner. Carpets can always be replaced later on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back