Carpet or linoleum (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
The good lady and I are wondering if we should go for carpet throughout the van (as it is now) or add in lino through the main aspects. Kitchen run and through the bedroom/lounge area. We have opposite thoughts... i like the comfort of carpet...she appreciates the easy clean aspect. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for posting video. Going to give that a go on a sample piece , but not on top of our house carpets. If I tried that my wife , a retired nurse , would take the HOT glue gun and glue my testicles together, OUCH:cry::cry:.
Like the look of the carpets you did in your van, so hopefully I will buy a bottle of patience and get it done.
Keep an eye on Scottish News programmes , if you hear Glasgow man found with unexplained injury, it's ME.:D.
Thanks again .
John
... just don't do it in the middle of your lounge as the video chap seems to be doing! :D

Upvote 0

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
... just don't do it in the middle of your lounge as the video chap seems to be doing! :D
65 years ols and as long as I can remember "Rather deal with a terrorist than a female " and I'm not sexist, I like a cuddle too:D. First guy to work ou
Might not matter dependent on both our moods at time of trying to make the carpets , World War Three could break out:D. Might even beat Trump to starting it.
I've had a horrible thought that I threw out the old worn carpets a few weeks ago when I tidied up the hut. Isabel was going to use them as templates , HIDE THE GLUE GUN:D
As the younger generation would put it "my life could be so much not worth living".
If I don't post in the next month call the polis for me:D.
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The green carpet looks neat. Is it attached to the floor in any way? If so, then how do you take it out and wash it? If not, then does it slide around?
It's not attached/stuck, it just 'sits' there - it is fitted right up to the edge of the cupboards, seats etc so no room for it to move about anyway and the table leg sitting on top of it nicely anchors the bit for the raised area which is cut into 2 pieces so I can remove the back piece to get into the floor locker underneath it easily (ie I don't have to lift the table) the only bit that can move is the piece I cut for the shower tray cover but it doesn't go 'walkies' much fortunately due to the slightly rubbery bobble backing!

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not if you have a German van.. with a double floor .. ;)

but what's wrong with slippers.. (y)
I've a German van with a double floor

Vinyl floor is still cold in winter

I have vinyl floor summer time and drop in carpets winter time.

But carpets still get dirty if weather is bad ...taking shoes off isn't always practical when going in van out of rain with a couple of bags of shopping etc.

Even worse if the German van manufacturer decides near white vinyl and beige carpets are a good idea in a motorhome.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
oooo .... we lived in a couple of houses with just bare floorboards and it was ruddy cold ... you have my sympathy Jim ... :cold:
My house had the original old floorboards throughout properly sealed stained and waxed ..it was actually quite good underfoot as real wood is quite warm compared to laminate which is like cold plastic.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well I will concede you maybe correct Jim, the first 2 A class vans we had were both Mercs(Hymer) so no double floor, this little Concorde has a double floor so I will let you know the difference.
Be prepared to still get cold feet ...franky had double floor and alde heating ...vinyl floor still cold.
Drop in carpet in lounge made it warmer.
The hymer I've just bought has double floor too and vinyl floor with drop ins...they will be staying in over winter

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Wow, I remember Linoleum. That was the thin stuff that cracked if you bent it back.

The Summer before we px’d our last Motorhome SWMBO asked for carpet with poppers to be removed so easier to clean with dog hair. @ryan_flea I am with you, I prefer carpet and since we had our shiny new Motorhome, carpet was fitted on handover and six months later is still in place so fingers crossed. I have bought a 12 volt vacuum which I am more than happy to use.

I know what you mean @Minxy Girl vinyl is easier to sweep but dog hair just balls up and rolls around like “Tumble weed” and looks horrible no time at all after being swept

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We have the original carpets that came with the van put away for the next owner.
Prefer the vial flooring with small rugs that can be lifted up shook and machine washed or rinsed.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know what you mean @Minxy Girl vinyl is easier to sweep but dog hair just balls up and rolls around like “Tumble weed” and looks horrible no time at all after being swept
Yup, and if we have the sliding door open it get blown all round the camper too ... not to mention the dogs sliding all over on it!

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We used carpet tiles, about 18” x 18” is to fit. Easy to cut when warmed up with a hair dryer!. Big at vantage is if you waste some thing which cannot be removed , you just replace one . We bought from a local carpet fitting company at a about £1 each

Colyboy

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In times past I laid cork floor tiles in a caravan and also in my RV .. warm on the feet, waterproof and easy to keep clean.. haven't seen them for sale recently, did they go out of fashion ?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Lino is more forgiving when it comes to removing traipsed in muck.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
Since 2012
For the wight conscious lino (vinyl flooring) weighs much more than carpet. Carpet also insulates and deadens sound

Upvote 0

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Lino is more forgiving when it comes to removing traipsed in muck.
Traipsed is a word I use occasionally. My kids, 28 an 26 ,say it's not a word . I'm going to have a bit of fun at dinner tanle tonight when I show them your post(y)(y)(y).
Have you any Scottish Ancestry. Loads of auld Scot's word that are still used by certain generations.
Traipsed I love .
John

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Traipsed is a word I use occasionally. My kids, 28 an 26 ,say it's not a word . I'm going to have a bit of fun at dinner tanle tonight when I show them your post(y)(y)(y).
Have you any Scottish Ancestry. Loads of auld Scot's word that are still used by certain generations.
Traipsed I love .
John

Yes.Great Grandad had the good sense to Emigrate to NZ. Perhaps it was the "Clearances" ?? .
I think that Traipsed, from me, comes from my Cornish Mother, because the old man died in 44, I have only a very dim memory of him, this fella leaning on a stick wearing a uniform and a funny hat.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back