Carpet or linoleum (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
The good lady and I are wondering if we should go for carpet throughout the van (as it is now) or add in lino through the main aspects. Kitchen run and through the bedroom/lounge area. We have opposite thoughts... i like the comfort of carpet...she appreciates the easy clean aspect. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We bought a couple of those rubber backed carpet runners 69x18 inches, from the carpet lady that attends most of the Warner Shows. They can be cut to shape easily, look great and are machine washable also, loads of patterns and colours to choose from.
Think both cost me about £29...Job done.
Les

Upvote 0

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Van has vinyl throughout with “poppers” for carpet, almost like mats really! Decided to try a fitted carpet approach so bought a remnant and did some home edging with tape, staples and glue gun.
Thirty quid later and her indoors nodded approval!
Decided “mud” colour was the best and measured using originals as pattern.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 4DD1C5EF-C18A-4488-8515-BE7CDC9C4190.jpeg
    4DD1C5EF-C18A-4488-8515-BE7CDC9C4190.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 109
  • E67843A6-9D1D-4A01-AFE5-06F2EB92243C.jpeg
    E67843A6-9D1D-4A01-AFE5-06F2EB92243C.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Far easier to keep vinyl floor clean same as leather seating. Brush round or a wipe.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We don't walk around on lino indoors, so don't do it in our moho..

Upvote 0

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Van has vinyl throughout with “poppers” for carpet, almost like mats really! Decided to try a fitted carpet approach so bought a remnant and did some home edging with tape, staples and glue gun.
Thirty quid later and her indoors nodded approval!
Decided “mud” colour was the best and measured using originals as pattern.
Looks very good. Were the staples temporary while glue dried, or are they left permanently?
Thanks in advance
John

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Carpet is best, especially in the loo as you can't see the puddle:D2

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you already have carpet laid throughout I’d keep it the same and save your money. Your van will feel much warmer and normally no issues in the kitchen area from overspill when cooking but you will need to make a law that no peeing in the van by gents is allowed unless seated because some are known to miss the pan when standing up after a few beers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Looks very good. Were the staples temporary while glue dried, or are they left permanently?
Thanks in advance
John
Did it just as this vid showed but with stainless steel staples John. Worked out edge of tape needed exact positioning on edge of carpet and wrapped a “depth gauge” of tape around stapler to get position of staples uniform.

Don’t skimp on the hot glue but don’t burn fingers, I used a hot spoon to press tape down.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Vinyl in the summer, carpet in the winter. Put the carpet back in at the start of this month.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've tried just the existing vinyl flooring with and without rugs, thicker 'dirt grabber' type carpeting, carpeting with rugs on etc.

We found that just vinyl was a nuisance as it allowed fluff, dust etc to 'blow' around in the van and if you got a small stone etc on it it was ruddy painful if you stood on it ... it was also cold! With a carpet, or even rug down, it prevented this as the rug/carpet 'caught' the fluff etc/dirt and kept it in situ and we just took them out occasionally to shake and brush.

In our current camper I didn't want to fit the thicker 'dirt grabber' type carpeting as it's a pain in the bum to cut and heavy to take out to shake/brush, so instead I went for some patio carpeting from Aldi - £6.99 a role in a nice green colour - it was much easier to cut to fit with no fraying and as it has shallow 'bobbles' on the back it allows the underside to breathe plus it is easy to remove and clean. We were wondering how well it would wear on the edge running along the raised step to the dinette area, thinking it might get caught and lift/curl, but this hasn't actually happened despite us using it for nearly 7 weeks with 3 dogs in tow. We do put a couple of rugs on top of it sometimes and they don't move around like they did on the other carpeting. So we have the best of both worlds now ... we can remove the rugs to give them a shake which is ideal if the dogs have been to the beach and brought sand back in and doing this keeps the camper sufficiently clean most of the time, and we just take out the green carpeting to clean every week/fortnight/as required. Oh, and if needs be we can wash the green carpeting too and it dries really, really quickly.

You can see the green patio carpet here - the mat by the door has been replaced with a small 'dirt grabber' one.

carpet.JPG

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Linoleum :eek: you must be even older than me!
We have quite nice woodeffect vinyl cushionfloor. Easier to sweep out the dog hair. The original carpet is in the loft at home.
Linoleum made a comeback in recent times as it can be more versatile in how it is used than vinyl ... when you see some shops etc with floor coverings with logos embedded in them for example, often it will be linoleum.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Have always taken carpets out and replace with washable rugs! Can’t be doing with all that hoovering whilst on holiday!,

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
wood laminate thru lounge from entrance (easy to keep clean) then tiles in bathroom , and carpet in bedroom , when its cold weather heater is on and being partly ducted underfloor warms the floor (y)

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
we do..

only room with carpet is daughters bedroom
oooo .... we lived in a couple of houses with just bare floorboards and it was ruddy cold ... you have my sympathy Jim ... :cold:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How do you get the dogs to wear slippers? o_O

trade the little darlings in for

a proper dog, like a Husky .. then it can lay under the van

oooo .... we lived in a couple of houses with just bare floorboards and it was ruddy cold ... you have my sympathy Jim ... :cold:

not required.. we are rufty tufty Scots.. we have stone floors.. and iron bedsteads with hay mattresses .. and we eat English people for dinner .. Yorkies are particularly tasty ..if a bit scrawny

Upvote 0

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Did it just as this vid showed but with stainless steel staples John. Worked out edge of tape needed exact positioning on edge of carpet and wrapped a “depth gauge” of tape around stapler to get position of staples uniform.

Don’t skimp on the hot glue but don’t burn fingers, I used a hot spoon to press tape down.

Thanks for posting video. Going to give that a go on a sample piece , but not on top of our house carpets. If I tried that my wife , a retired nurse , would take the HOT glue gun and glue my testicles together, OUCH:cry::cry:.
Like the look of the carpets you did in your van, so hopefully I will buy a bottle of patience and get it done.
Keep an eye on Scottish News programmes , if you hear Glasgow man found with unexplained injury, it's ME.:D.
Thanks again .
John

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back