Carole Nash - Protected No Claims con?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Stealaway, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,615
    Who knows - Is it .....................................because they can???

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Ratings:
    +774
    Fault claim in the MH last year although no other vehicles involved. Both mine and the OH car insured with Aviva direct on same policy.
    Renewal notice received with a 11% increase 680 up to 770. Looked around nothing cheaper so contacted them to inform them of claim in MH. No change in premium .
    MH insured with Comfort also Aviva. £30 in renewal due to claim.
    Excellent result all round.
    Very happy with Aviva

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. jezport

jezport Funster

Ratings:
    +2,753
    Fault claim in my Jag while with Adrian Flux with protected NCD They jumped my premium up £300 next year, I moved and got a policy for less than Flux charged me the year before. And heres the good bit, my MOHO insurance dropped by £10.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Husky

Husky Funster

Ratings:
    +145
    Hi Stealaway
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if a third party rear ended you then your insurer legal exspense boys will pursue the third party for recovery of your uninsured losses such as excess. With 100% recovery then your policy noted as non fault and premium shouldn' be affected other than natural increase.

My NFU MUTUAL policy has come down this year.....yippee.

5. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +25,020
    No your insurer should be claiming off the 3rd party for all & every expense.

Actually the requirement is that you can " pay all 3rd party damages"
    There isn't actually a requirment to take out insurance.
    Years back in the 70's the cash in transit co's were uninsurable due to robberies & deposited 25k with the Attorney General to cover any 3rd party claims .This increased over the years & in 1999 you were required to depost 500k. When I looked a couple of years back ,to see whether it still existed , I'm sure it is now 25 million ?
    Having said that if you have the money then not only is it one deposit covers all vehicles but you get interest on the amount deposited. win-win all round.(y)

6. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +19,871
    But in the UK you can be charged and banned from driving for having no insurance

7. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,131
    buses in london used to carry their own insurance risk not sure now they are owned by so many companies

8. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +8,032
    You'll probably find each company covers any accident damage to third party vehicles.

Royal mail are the same, I think I was told the Police also.

9. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +25,020
    You have insurance when you deposit the money.

". Today, this UK law is defined by the Road Traffic Act 1988,[15] (generally referred to as the RTA 1988 as amended) which was last modified in 1991. The Act requires that motorists either be insured, or have made a specified deposit (£500,000 in 1991) and keeps the sum deposited with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court, against liability for injuries to others (including passengers) and for damage to other persons' property, resulting from use of a vehicle on a public road or in other public places."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_insurance#United_Kingdom

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  10. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +82
    I've had my run-in's with Carole Nash insurance over some bike policies, usually centred around the fact that each time I changed a bike on a multi-bike policy, they would tell me how the new bike wasn't compatible with existing ones, I'd have to cancel, lose a chunk of what I'd paid, and start again. It was hillarious, and expensive ! initially a 15 year old bike was on a 'modern classic' policy, to which I couldn't add a 35 year old bike because that was an 'actual classic', (cancel and lose money) then buying the same exact type of bike which the 35 year old one was, that 10 year old bike, being a small engine was a 'scoot-and-commute' policy ! could't be added (cancel and lose money) I got so sick of it, I decided to change companies when a new bike was due in a week's time. I told them on the Monday that a new bike was due on Saturday, and could they cancel my policy on the Saturday when the new company would take over. I was nice, but I pointed out why I was leaving. what did they do ? I found out when paperwork arrived on about Thursday that they'd cancelled my insurance after my phone call on Monday, and left me to ride around uninsured for 4 days !

guess who I'm not insuring with ?

regarding NCD, it 'should' (but obviously isn't) held by the driver, if the driver has had no own fault accidents then they should keep maximum NCD and be able to apply it to as many vehicles as they fancy to insure, after all, you can only drive them one at once ! clearly you should have to inform the insurance if you've been rear-ended, they want to know that you've not had 10 such accidents recently and are doing a crash-for-cash scam. They claim to have a central claims register, but them won't give you your NCD if you can't prove it on paper from your previous insurer, crackers !

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  11. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,615
    My automatic motorhome renewal statement came through from Carol Nashe today. It says this years fee is £426.57 (last year £467.37) Bargain you would think but if you have read my earlier inputs you will realise that this quote take no account of the bump I had last year and if I just pay it I will not be insured. You would think by now the accident and claim would be on their system? Nope it is for you to tell them you had a claim.

I was informed when I came to insure my car there would be an increase of £200 plus for the next four years --- on all my vehicles.

Any way bugger them, I've just talked to Comfort and with last year's claim 8K miles and European breakdown (£62.00) it will be £433.17. With my Thatcham 2-1 alarm the total is now £400.50 - That'll do for me!

• Like it Like it x 2
  12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +100,235

Any chance you could give them their first review here. (y) . Cheers

13. Rolyan

Rolyan Funster

Ratings:
    +67
    Unfortunately, I can state confidently that you're wrong.

Fact 1: Increase in your premium for a no fault claim that is entirely someone else's fault. YES.
    Risk assessors employed by Insurance companies show that someone who has had an accident, regardless of fault, is more likely to have a second one. The risk of having a second accident is higher than that of having the first accident. So therefore your premiums rise because the statistical risk increases. Unfortunately you do not have a legal right to view that statistical information.

Fact 2: Is there a benefit of having protected no claims discount. YES.
    You are protecting the no claims discount, not the premium, although this is often not made as clear as it should be. Therefore even if your premium rises, you still get a discount applied to it if you have protected that discount. If you think its bad enough rising, think how you would feel if it rose but you also lost the 70% discount. It's no longer £300, its £1000.

Fact 3: Its the policy, not the driver, that has the discount etc applied. YES AND NO!
    If you have an existing policy with maximum no claims discount, and you then buy a second vehicle (not change it, buy a second one) then you do not have a legal right to a no claims discount on the second vehicle, as you have not earned it ON THAT POLICY. Its a new vehicle and a new policy. Many insurers will give a discretionary discount, as an introductory bonus to win the business, but they are under no legal obligation to do so, and if they do, and you move to another provider, you are obliged to state that you were awarded a discretionary discount bonus equal to x years NCD, you cannot claim it as earned NCD.

HOWEVER, if you have an accident in one car, then the increases apply to all policies you hold. This is because your risk increases.

It's all very simple, albeit highly frustrating.

• Informative Informative x 1