Carole Nash - Protected No Claims con? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
My automatic motorhome renewal statement came through from Carol Nashe today. It says this years fee is £426.57 (last year £467.37) Bargain you would think but if you have read my earlier inputs you will realise that this quote take no account of the bump I had last year and if I just pay it I will not be insured. You would think by now the accident and claim would be on their system? Nope it is for you to tell them you had a claim.

I was informed when I came to insure my car there would be an increase of £200 plus for the next four years --- on all my vehicles.

Any way bugger them, I've just talked to Comfort and with last year's claim 8K miles and European breakdown (£62.00) it will be £433.17. With my Thatcham 2-1 alarm the total is now £400.50 - That'll do for me!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think a few of you know I had a rear end shunt in the MoHo last year.
I was insured with Carole Nash and to be fair the claim went through without any problem, although my van repairs has only just been completed and my repairers have yet to be paid - (less the £250 excess.).
Any hoo. I came to re-insure my 1ltr Ford Fiesta today with Carole Nash. It has gone up exactly £50 from £227 last year to £277 so I had a look around and found Direct Line quote £187 even with the accident to the van.
So pre armed I rang Carole Nash (insurances take the renewal automatically now unless you tell them different). Ok she sez I'll see how close we can get to the Direct Line quote. During the conversation the accident with the van came up. All of a sudden the attitude and conversation changed completely.
The accident in the van increased the premium by a further £150+ and will be subject to the increased premium for the next three years. Now we are at £412 for a 1lr Fiesta (that does less than 4000 miles a year) 68 year old drivers, with 15 years No Claims!
It seems my paying for protected NC is a waste of money - it don't count for some reason.
With Carole Nash any accident in any vehicle is subject to a premium payment. I hate to think how much the Van renewal due in April is going to cost with them. I expected to lose the NC on the van but that's only a few years - but not on every other vehicle including my motor bikes.
I went back to Direct Line and confirmed with them that they has taken account of the accident in the van. The total premium including protected NC came to £201. Guess who I'm insured with?

Any chance you could give them their first review here. (y) . Cheers

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Hi Stealaway
Correct me if I'm wrong but if a third party rear ended you then your insurer legal exspense boys will pursue the third party for recovery of your uninsured losses such as excess. With 100% recovery then your policy noted as non fault and premium shouldn' be affected other than natural increase.

My NFU MUTUAL policy has come down this year.....yippee.
Unfortunately, I can state confidently that you're wrong.

Fact 1: Increase in your premium for a no fault claim that is entirely someone else's fault. YES.
Risk assessors employed by Insurance companies show that someone who has had an accident, regardless of fault, is more likely to have a second one. The risk of having a second accident is higher than that of having the first accident. So therefore your premiums rise because the statistical risk increases. Unfortunately you do not have a legal right to view that statistical information.

Fact 2: Is there a benefit of having protected no claims discount. YES.
You are protecting the no claims discount, not the premium, although this is often not made as clear as it should be. Therefore even if your premium rises, you still get a discount applied to it if you have protected that discount. If you think its bad enough rising, think how you would feel if it rose but you also lost the 70% discount. It's no longer £300, its £1000.

Fact 3: Its the policy, not the driver, that has the discount etc applied. YES AND NO!
If you have an existing policy with maximum no claims discount, and you then buy a second vehicle (not change it, buy a second one) then you do not have a legal right to a no claims discount on the second vehicle, as you have not earned it ON THAT POLICY. Its a new vehicle and a new policy. Many insurers will give a discretionary discount, as an introductory bonus to win the business, but they are under no legal obligation to do so, and if they do, and you move to another provider, you are obliged to state that you were awarded a discretionary discount bonus equal to x years NCD, you cannot claim it as earned NCD.

HOWEVER, if you have an accident in one car, then the increases apply to all policies you hold. This is because your risk increases.

It's all very simple, albeit highly frustrating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back