Carole Nash - Protected No Claims con?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Stealaway, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,309
    I think a few of you know I had a rear end shunt in the MoHo last year.
    I was insured with Carole Nash and to be fair the claim went through without any problem, although my van repairs has only just been completed and my repairers have yet to be paid - (less the £250 excess.).
    Any hoo. I came to re-insure my 1ltr Ford Fiesta today with Carole Nash. It has gone up exactly £50 from £227 last year to £277 so I had a look around and found Direct Line quote £187 even with the accident to the van.
    So pre armed I rang Carole Nash (insurances take the renewal automatically now unless you tell them different). Ok she sez I'll see how close we can get to the Direct Line quote. During the conversation the accident with the van came up. All of a sudden the attitude and conversation changed completely.
    The accident in the van increased the premium by a further £150+ and will be subject to the increased premium for the next three years. Now we are at £412 for a 1lr Fiesta (that does less than 4000 miles a year) 68 year old drivers, with 15 years No Claims!
    It seems my paying for protected NC is a waste of money - it don't count for some reason.
    With Carole Nash any accident in any vehicle is subject to a premium payment. I hate to think how much the Van renewal due in April is going to cost with them. I expected to lose the NC on the van but that's only a few years - but not on every other vehicle including my motor bikes.
    I went back to Direct Line and confirmed with them that they has taken account of the accident in the van. The total premium including protected NC came to £201. Guess who I'm insured with?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 6
    • Like it Like it x 3
    • Love it Love it x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,298
    Always been the same with no claim discount/bonus.
    You'll find the NCD still stands at renewal at whatever % it was before the claim....It is protected.
    Problem is, you made a claim so are a higher risk to ALL insurers and the PREMIUM rises accordingly but you still get a 65/70% discount off the increased premium.

They can, of course, charge whatever premium they want.
    I've had quotes from comparison sites for the same car between £250 & £1300....Inc NCD

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,090
    I don’t think that you can treat each policy as a separate entity where insurance is concerned.
    I had someone run into me while driving a friends car and we both were stung on renewal plus I had increased premiums on everything else I run except the motor home.
    At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  4. davanne

davanne Funster

Ratings:
    +13,596
    Always found direct line very good we pay under £160 on a 4 year old 1.6 suv.
    We also have the house insurance through them.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +27,298
    agreed...
    All claims etc go on your file which is available to all insurers, allegedly for fraud prevention purposes.
    A new insurer will simply check your claims history no matter who the claim was with.

Even enquiring about an accident which isn't turned into a claim/cancelled will go on file.
    A reason to pay for relatively minor damage yourself and keep the insurers out of it.

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +11,440
    We had a claim last year when a drunk driver demolished our recovery and forecourt wall
    NO increase at all this year logged as a "No fault claim"
    surly a rear ender is the same is it not ?

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +18,396
    I had a claim with Saga on the car last year, when renewal came round premium gone up form 170 to 365 (full NCD) after haggling they came down to 190. Didn't affect the Motorhome with comfort & some years ago I had a claim with Comfort premium didn't go up.

8. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +6,848
    Even a non fault claim is still logged as a claim and usually affects your next premium.

I was told by someone who works with n a nsurance not to bother with protecting NCD as you’ll still pay extra fault or not f you have a prang.

9. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +6,687
    had similar with aib this year got a quote for 20 less online and went back to them asking them if the renewal was the best they could do and low and behold they came back 30 under the online quote
    they did ask me what the second quote was and i refused to give them the figure

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  10. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,309
    It just occurred to me that if I had simply paid the £277 renewal fee. I would not have been aware that the premium was subject to the MoHo claim premium - Would I have been insured if I'd had a bump in the Fiesta? or would they have saved that bullet to shoot me with it when I made a claim.

I might highly critical of insurance companies but it's because ------ I bloody hate them all with a passion!!!:devil::mask::devil::swear2:

• Nice One! Nice One! x 3
    • Love it Love it x 1
  11. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Ratings:
    +1,094
    My wife was in our Fiesta when a lorry turning took the rea4 bumper off. That was two years ago and since then we have been inundated with phone calls from no win no pay solicitors asking had I been injured etc. and when our Hyundai came up for renewal I was loaded because a named driver on my policy had had an accident. I have been driving since 1962 and have never made a claim. They just take the pi55.

12. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +27,298
    Property George, different things.

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +26,790
    Just remind me why you claimed for the work on YOUR insurance and not the one who ran into you? Or was it your 'fault'? I can't remember the details.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +27,298
    That named driver increases the risk to the insurer.
    They don't care if they are now the safest driver in the world....they had one accident so they are more likely, in their view, to have another.

15. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,309

No unfortunately it was completely my fault.
    I'd just passed a parking space and reversed just a couple of feet, completely certain there was nothing behind me, - unfortunately a Renault Clio was a little less than a couple of feet behind me!!!

16. Spriddler

Spriddler Funster

Ratings:
    +1,882
    Insurance is not a discretionary purchase. Insurance companies do not exist for customers' benefit but to make maximum profit for their investors and executives' bonuses. They really don't care whether they are selling insurance, time share apartments, burgers or double glazing just as long as it's profitable.
    However, many pension funds are invested in major companies so we don't want them to go broke do we?

17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +24,311
    Just scammers & have got progressively worse over the last 40 years. What has a 'no fault 'accident claimed from another insurer got to do with any other vehicle ? Just an excuse for the scum to charge more money.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Love it Love it x 1
  18. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,173
    What got my back up, was being hammered on 2 car policies and the motorhome too, :mad: when you take out insurance on a vehicle using your no claims, :rolleyes: more often than not it's only on the first policy, after that you build up no claims on the rest, when you have a knock they charge more on everything you insure. :eek: Bob.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  19. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +15,418
    It's all a big scam I had 3 car policies 2 motorbike policies and a campervan one all running at the same time this time last year.
    Now I didn't get them all at the same time so I had 1 car policy with 12 yrs nc, 1 with 10 yrs, 1 with 5 yrs , 1 bike at 3 yrs, 1 at 2 yrs and the campervan which was simply mirrored on my car policy at 12 yrs.

So if when taking out an additional policy they start you from scratch and don't automatically give you the amount you have nc on existing policies then by that same rule if you have an accident or claim on one policy it shouldn't affect your other ones.

Insurance unfortunately is one big rip off because it's a legal requirement.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  20. Jasz

Jasz Funster

Ratings:
    +488
    We have the motorhome insured in my name and the car in my wife's, so we can get our maximum no claims on each vehicle. It is rather annoying though that my wife is quoted more with me as a named driver than I am with her as the named driver - same age, same history!

• Funny Funny x 2