Carnac or Concarneau? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Bonjour!

Torn between Carnac or Concarneau for next year.
Found a good site in both that ticks boxes such as near a beach, near a supermarket and near the town.
Just can't seem to make our minds up which one to book.
Want to stay on a site rather than an aire as we're staying a while.
Have you been? & What's your verdicts?
Thanks!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As above! But if you are into standing stones and lots of sandy bays, I would go with Carnac.
Remember, if you are in a motor home, you can travel around and see more of Brittany, or spend a while at each campsite. Don't rule out Aires though, there are some fantastic Aires In that area. I think you miss out on so much staying more than a couple of days in one place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We had a 4 nights on a camp site in Carnac and a couple of nights in the Concarneau aire last month. I would go back to Carnac for a holiday as there was plenty to do there and in the surrounding areas to explore plus the beach and prom was good plus the resteraunts and shops were ok too. And a huge market on Wednesday plus other things to keep you busy for at least a week there.
Concarneau was very nice too if you like shopping and a bit of historical sights it had a couple of different type markets in the main square / bus station area but for me a couple of days was enough to explore the main parts.
So Carnac for a stay put holiday gets my vote though moving around to see as much of france as possible with the time we have out there wins hands down .

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
This is brilliant - thank you.
I'm looking at Les Menhirs for Carnac and was looking at Les Sables Blancs for Concarneau, but judging by this, I think we will spend the majority of time in Carnac now.
Planning on a week to 10days in Carnac and then will mosey on back to Zeebrugge via Aires stop offs for the following week.
I think a full trip on aires maybe a bit much for us as we have a 2yr old to entertain - plus we can use the site's facilities after she's eaten the sand and it's got into every crevice from a day at the beach!
Thanks again! (and if you've any more tips, don't be shy with them (y):D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
have been to both many times, both have their charm. less then 100 km apart.....just over 1 hr

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We stayed at Les menhirs ( I couldn't remember the name earlier ) it was great for kids good pool and kids club etc but quite expensive after all the aires and municipal sites we stayed on but worth it, and it was high season in August so bound to be expensive if want all the bells n whistles of a proper site.
Beach and main shops nearest to it are about 15 min stroll away.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
There are loads of aires near. Just make it into a tour. We did a 4 month tour round Brittany used 43 aires and no campsites. There are quite a few Super U supermarkets that U can also over night on.

steve & ann ................. teensvan

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are on the aire at Carnac at the moment. Just a few hundred yards from the town centre and a Lidls almost next door. But we have been near Locmariaquer for the last three nights and it was very pleasant. Much quieter than Carnac and more interesting ancient sites I think. Good walking too. Before that we were at Larmor Barden which was really pleasant and the best walking we have found yet - the coastal footpath which goes round most of the gulf of Morbihan, starting at Locmariaquer and then running clockwise.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I reckon once you've spent half a day plodding round the old town in the harbour at Concarneau thinking 'ooh that's quaint' you've exhausted its possibilities.

Carnac's got a bit more variety in that the rows of standing stones are pretty much unique, and you can always nip down the road and explore Quiberon. There's also a greater variety of beaches near Carnac, including wide sandy ones for eating.

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Agree with the other posts Concarneau is really a days visit at most unless you want to do the lovely beaches. We stopped at the aire by the railway station but then moved on to Les Sables as the aire is quite tight and as it was extremely hot we decided that a bit of pool time was due. The site is very good and has excellent facilities particularly the pool area. Haven't done Carnac (yet) so we are reading the replies with interest

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back