Free Member
Jun 2, 2014
Alloa Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there, I have a carioca 656 2006. When the motorhome is on electric hook up , is the cab battery charged aswell? When I disconnect from the 240v hook up the button on the control panel when pressed shows the habitation battery fully charged but the cab battery only has one green light lit up. Are both batteries charged or do I need to buy something like a battery master to charge the cab battery aswell. Both batteries are brand new.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Jimbo

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have the 2005 Carioca 656 and the cab battery definitely isn't charged on EHU. Our MH has the older more angular cab design, not the more recent rounded one which came in a bit later.

I built my own temporary split relay circuit from an eBay-bought split relay, a plastic project box, some appropriately-sized cable, and some battery clamps. I connect the leisure battery to the cab battery when it's in storage, and both batteries are topped up by the solar panel for most of the year. It also works with both batteries when I'm charging from the mains at home.

OP
OP
Mupit

Mupit

Free Member
Jun 2, 2014
Alloa Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Magicsurfbus, many thanks for your help I'm a complete newbie to motor homing and wouldn't know where to start. Now that I know the battery isn't being charged I will get someone to look into it.

Cheers for your help

Jim :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You're welcome Jim - I'd be interested to hear what solution they come up with.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Jimbo,

A quick/dirty solution without modifying the vehicle; make up a lead with two cigarette lighter plugs on. Plug one into your dash socket which will be connected to your vehicle battery and the other into your conversion socket which will he connected to your leisure batteries, your EHU will then charge the vehicle battery. Will only really be effective however if your vehicle socket is active with the ignition key out!

Cheers.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Jimbo,

A quick/dirty solution without modifying the vehicle; make up a lead with two cigarette lighter plugs on. Plug one into your dash socket which will be connected to your vehicle battery and the other into your conversion socket which will he connected to your leisure batteries, your EHU will then charge the vehicle battery. Will only really be effective however if your vehicle socket is active with the ignition key out!

Cheers.

That's a great idea, but would you not need to use cables the size of jump leads so they don't over heat?

I was amazed that cab batteries are not charged from EHU, we have been spoilt (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You certainly need to use a proper width of cable for any battery to battery connection.

It's not something I'd attempt without some kind of regulator and fuses in between, hence the split relay, rigged in my case to protect the leisure battery from draining.

I'm pretty certain the 12v cab socket in a Carioca 656 is inactive without the ignition key anyway.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
That's a great idea, but would you not need to use cables the size of jump leads so they don't over heat?

I was amazed that cab batteries are not charged from EHU, we have been spoilt (y)

If one battery is very low, or you try to start the vehicle with this connected then there is a chance the cigarette lead plug fuse will pop. If you start with both batteries at reasonable states of charge, the cable length/resistance will limit the current flow sufficiently to provide a trickle current to keep the vehicle battery topped up and certainly enough to compensate for vehicle battery loads such as the radio, cab lights, alarm, etc.

Cheers.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
A Battery Master is the approved solution.

Jim sells them too, but the shop links don't seem to be working properly at the moment.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Friend of a friend has a built in M/cycle charger that works off 240volt, when on EHU he plugs it into a normal 3 pin 240 volt socket it trickle charges his main battery and when fully charged maintains it. Only cost him a couple of hours work rigging it up and something like £20

OP
OP
Mupit

Mupit

Free Member
Jun 2, 2014
Alloa Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi again, I have purchased a sterling battery maintainer and my local motorhome service/repair place is going to fit it next Thursday. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Jimbo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back