Cargo drawer DIY (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2019
65290 Juillan, France
Funster No
MH
Challenger Genesis33
I was going to post before I started making this, to see if any one had any advice, but anyway, I just got stuck in.....

We are a family of 3, 6yo daughter, we tend to have the rear lower bunk folded up, so the back of the van is in garage mode, with access by a single door.

When we are fully packed up, the back can be pretty rammed, and the thought of having to haul everything out to reach the BBQ or something right at the back can be off putting!

So I ordered some 1500mm sliders and set to work,

The lower bunk is still usable, although only one layer of boxes can be used.

Its not quite finished,
1, I plan to put down some different protection, lino or something, so its sealed, for when wet snow gear is chucked in, there is already a drainage hole with plug, and the black non slip matting was just something I had for now.
2, Add a bike for mount, normal bikes can go on the back, but my good race bikes always stay inside...
3, some way of securing the boxes in place, tie down points.

We haven't been away to test it out yet, confinement in France, but I think it will make a big difference!

Has anyone else done something similar?

20210427_150745.jpg
20210427_150104.jpg
20210427_150034.jpg
20210427_150029.jpg
20210427_150229.jpg

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'd love a pair of those for under my fixed bed Aurora.
Bed.jpg

Judging by some of the self build Youtube vids, you can get some mighty strong sliders.
What you lose on space, you certainly gain on efficiency & ease of access.

Sadly, I have not the skills to attempt anything like that.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Looking good, what about weight on the sliders when it's pulled out.
I guess you will only pull out as far as is needed to get at the end boxes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
abdn_alliance
Oct 12, 2019
65290 Juillan, France
Funster No
MH
Challenger Genesis33
Phil,
They are rated for 120kgs,
I can go on the drawer, im 77kgs, and it still slides in and out fine,
We will put the heavier stuff to the back though.

Its held down by 4 x mate bolts just now, that go though to the underside of the van, time will tell if that's enough.

Again, its not been really tested, ive just finished up...

OP
OP
abdn_alliance
Oct 12, 2019
65290 Juillan, France
Funster No
MH
Challenger Genesis33
Stephen,
I'm no craftsman, i just like having a go,
We don't really loose space,
The void to the back side is perfect for the chairs and tables etc,
also the space under the drawer can be used to some extent,

plus its all removable if needed!!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I was going to post before I started making this, to see if any one had any advice, but anyway, I just got stuck in.....

We are a family of 3, 6yo daughter, we tend to have the rear lower bunk folded up, so the back of the van is in garage mode, with access by a single door.

When we are fully packed up, the back can be pretty rammed, and the thought of having to haul everything out to reach the BBQ or something right at the back can be off putting!

Its not quite finished,
1, I plan to put down some different protection, lino or something, so its sealed, for when wet snow gear is chucked in, there is already a drainage hole with plug, and the black non slip matting was just something I had for now.
2, Add a bike for mount, normal bikes can go on the back, but my good race bikes always stay inside...

We haven't been away to test it out yet, confinement in France, but I think it will make a big difference!

View attachment 490078View attachment 490080View attachment 490081View attachment 490083View attachment 490084
I love slides they make so much sense!

I always make a slide our "beer fridge" on our campers, always have done, couldn't imagine a van without one

1619535546419.png

Not a great picture of the beer fridge, but to be honest I don't remember taking a picture of it, just taking beers from it ;) :drinks:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got something similar inside the motorhome.
Access to the under-seat area in the lounge (we've got a half-dinette) was a pita as you had to lift off the seat cushions and the seat base (these are around the size of a double cab seat). You'd always end up knocking the seat back cushions down as well.
So, made up two drawers underneath on full depth runners that are a dawdle to use.
Given they slide forwards had to come up with a cunning plan to stop them opening when breaking hard, the magnetic catches are OK until you do so. The plate off a house door security chain works well.
Must try and remember to take a photo when I out at storage later this week.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd love a pair of those for under my fixed bed Aurora.
View attachment 490093

Judging by some of the self build Youtube vids, you can get some mighty strong sliders.
What you lose on space, you certainly gain on efficiency & ease of access.

Sadly, I have not the skills to attempt anything like that.
If you got some sliders you use some crates instead of making your own 'platform', it would be easy peasy as you could just attach the crates to the sliders instead and/or make them removable (ie have them just drop onto some securing lugs - just make sure the spacing is correct before fastening the sliders to the floor. We have some lidded crates that we use in our MH garage which would do the job on the sliders and come in various sizes and/or along with a storage trunk on wheels - this is what we used in our PVC along with a cut down card table which gave another layer or storage space, it was easily removable and only had 2 securing points so minimal fixing needed.

Underbed storage.png

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you got some sliders you use some crates instead of making your own 'platform', it would be easy peasy as you could just attach the crates to the sliders instead and/or make them removable (ie have them just drop onto some securing lugs - just make sure the spacing is correct before fastening the sliders to the floor. We have some lidded crates that we use in our MH garage which would do the job on the sliders and come in various sizes and/or along with a storage trunk on wheels - this is what we used in our PVC along with a cut down card table which gave another layer or storage space, it was easily removable and only had 2 securing points so minimal fixing needed.
You grossly overestimate my non existent DIY skills 😧

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
A handsome job!

My 1200mm sliders arrived today for mounting two storeys of three 600mmx400mm euroboxes in the back of the PVC, under the fixed bed.

They are rated at 170kg load capacity. I'm using 1200mm sections of 60mm x 30mm aluminium angle to screw the sliders to the floor and the sliders to the 15mm plywood tray. Fixing through the angle to the 20mm+ ply floor using 22mm hex head screws, with washers, at 150mm centres.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Finished mine today and have the aching limbs to prove it. There's a divider at the right to make a place to store 2 chairs, 2 stools and a table, spare cassette and 3 levellers.

At the left there's room for the windscreen cover with space above remaining.

There are 6 boxes, 600mmx400mm, three deep and stacked two high. The 1200mm slide out allows access to the boxes at the back, though this isn't shown in the photo.

There's space 3in deep under, for awning winders, brollies etc. *Gas cupboard door modification courtesy of Minxy Girl.

Attachments

• 20210430_141114.jpg
    20210430_141114.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210430_132606.jpg
    20210430_132606.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210430_132549.jpg
    20210430_132549.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

Its not quite finished,

View attachment 490078View attachment 490080View attachment 490081View attachment 490083View attachment 490084
Where did you get the sliders from please.
I will use good old Google but a recommendation is most welcome.
Thanks

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Phill D, I bought these

VADANIA VA2576 Ultra Heavy Duty Drawer Runners 1200mm, 76mm Widening, Ball Bearing 3-Fold Full Extension, Side Mount, 1-Pair​

but if buying again, I'd get lockable ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back