Cardboard under the mattress (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
i personally think this is a good idea ??.We've got the B680 Hymer, the rear garage is quite large, no leaks or anything like that, just very cold and a little damp, so lifted the mattress and laid cardboard under it, stops all the cold coming up from the garage

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'd be better with something that won't absorb damp and go mouldy, some people put the silver sided bubble wrap type stuff underneath which works well.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
You'd be better with something that won't absorb damp and go mouldy, some people put the silver sided bubble wrap type stuff underneath which works well.

Many thanks Minxy Girl, always a good idea to bounce your tricks, as 9 out of 10 can always be improved

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
In our old van we used 2 yoga/exercise mats . Worked a treat.
Don't need to do it with Pug though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As mentioned... Just keep a watch for damp / mould on the underside..
My understanding it's one of the reasons they moved away from flat hard surfaces and now use all these slats..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Insulated karrimats with the silver foil on them (like you use in tents) worked well for us. Good behind radiators in the house too.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Bubble wrap is brilliant..
We had a huge roll delivered before Christmas
I said to the boss what shall i do with this
He said pop it in that corner
I was there 4 days:xrofl:

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
i personally think this is a good idea ??.We've got the B680 Hymer, the rear garage is quite large, no leaks or anything like that, just very cold and a little damp, so lifted the mattress and laid cardboard under it, stops all the cold coming up from the garage

Cardboard is excellent as an insulator almost as good as reflective foil (material of choice for those on the street) and it is plentiful and cheap so if it does get damp replacing it is easy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cardboard is excellent as an insulator almost as good as reflective foil (material of choice for those on the street) and it is plentiful and cheap so if it does get damp replacing it is easy
The problem is that it will hold damp and could cause problems elsewhere, ie in the mattress, so not ideal.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I agree Minxy girl anything that can hold damp in a mh is not good .

I've got an oldish b680 and the garage is heated along with the hab area . Earlier i rescued some beers from garage and they weren't cold had to go in the fridge.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
why do you put them behind radiators ?

As @Madcaravanner says, to improve the efficiency of the radiator by reflecting heat away from the wall and into the room where it's needed. Same principle as lagging the loft. Tin foil works too.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Don't think you can beat the new type foam carpet underlay , tough difficult to tear by hand . It comes in thickness from about 5mm to 50mm or more .We have the 20mm under the mattresses, comfortable warm and cheep lol.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
I agree Minxy girl anything that can hold damp in a mh is not good .

I've got an oldish b680 and the garage is heated along with the hab area . Earlier i rescued some beers from garage and they weren't cold had to go in the fridge.

Hi wigster, I,ve also got heating vents in the garage, but only any good when the heating is on, what I'm mainly thinking of is during the layup in winter

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A B680 Star-line should not have a cold rear bed. The garage is heated by the Truma as is the area below the side window(s) which then allows warm air under the bed slats. Check that the warm air vent in the garage is not closed. I can understand that there might be some chilling in the garage from the air vent in the door, if the prevailing wind is blowing against it, but there should definitely not be any damp.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
A B680 Star-line should not have a cold rear bed. The garage is heated by the Truma as is the area below the side window(s) which then allows warm air under the bed slats. Check that the warm air vent in the garage is not closed. I can understand that there might be some chilling in the garage from the air vent in the door, if the prevailing wind is blowing against it, but there should definitely not be any damp.

Hi wigster, I,ve also got heating vents in the garage, but only any good when the heating is on, what I'm mainly thinking of is during the layup in winter

Although there's no damp present at the moment, we still have quite a few weeks of winter left, and I don't want to leave the heating on as I've drained all the water out, it is on ehu but I don't feel inclined to leave an electric heater on and unattended, better safe than sorry. I'm a retired electrician and I've seen quite a few heaters go faulty and catch fire

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry, I missed the reference to the winter lay-up. I have a B630 Star-line (shorter version) and have not had any problems over winter. I do not leave any heating on as a rule. If in doubt, perhaps lift the mattresses onto their edges to maximise airflow.

P.s. Best not to leave it on EHU permanently as it does not do the Elektrobloc good. They are ok if left connected for a week or two but I would not leave it plugged in much longer.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
'Ventilation for the nation' is the only way. Anything else will continue to keep in the dampness and bring mould. No heat, no insulation just, ventilation is all you need.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Sorry, I missed the reference to the winter lay-up. I have a B630 Star-line (shorter version) and have not had any problems over winter. I do not leave any heating on as a rule. If in doubt, perhaps lift the mattresses onto their edges to maximise airflow.

P.s. Best not to leave it on EHU permanently as it does not do the Elektrobloc good. They are ok if left connected for a week or two but I would not leave it plugged in much longer.

I am a retired electrician, with ALL the qualifications up to and including the 16th edition regs, did not bother to do the 17th edition as I was retiring within a couple of weeks. Anyway i am conversant with electricity, not yet fully acquainted with mh electrics, but albeit the ehu is connected, the fuse board (if you can call it a that ?) is not switched on, I have 120watt solar, and a 20watt solar in the front window for the Sprinter battery.

I have been doing some alterations/modifications internally, so I do keep an eye on the batteries, and turning the fuse board and heater on when I'm inside, no damp as yet, but possibly best to be better safe than sorry ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What year is your Hymer? If it's from around 2000 - 2005 it will have an Elektrobloc (EBL) 99 or 100 I suspect. Most EBLs, and certainly the 99 / 100 series, provide a float charge to the starter battery as well as charging the leisure batteries. This obviously works when the 230v is switched on and also from a solar panel, provided it has been connected via a twin battery regulator. If a Schaudt regulator has been used (they are the manufacturer of the EBL), this will be the case.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'fuse board, but if the 230v is plugged in and the isolator switch (often beneath the wardrobe) is switched on, then the EBL charger/12v supply unit will also be powered, regardless of whether the 12v switch above the door (normal location) is on or off.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
What year is your Hymer? If it's from around 2000 - 2005 it will have an Elektrobloc (EBL) 99 or 100 I suspect. Most EBLs, and certainly the 99 / 100 series, provide a float charge to the starter battery as well as charging the leisure batteries. This obviously works when the 230v is switched on and also from a solar panel, provided it has been connected via a twin battery regulator. If a Schaudt regulator has been used (they are the manufacturer of the EBL), this will be the case.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'fuse board, but if the 230v is plugged in and the isolator switch (often beneath the wardrobe) is switched on, then the EBL charger/12v supply unit will also be powered, regardless of whether the 12v switch above the door (normal location) is on or off.

As an electrician, fuse board is common name for what you term as an EBL, I learn something new every day, but yes you are absolutely correct, and our Hymer is a 2001

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If the main switch on the front of the EBL isolates outputs from the EBL but the batteries will still be charged if the EHU cable is connected and switched on, or a solar panel is present. I tend never to turn off the EBL as the switch on the front panel can be a bit temperamental - they are known to fail due to internal corrosion. I have had to have mine replaced by Schaudt.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Hi Phillip, I think we may be talking at cross purposes, unfortunately we're just this minute off to Warner's - Hayling Island (not in the mh I might add) when we get back I'll post a piccy of what I'm talking about, but it may just be me ??

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
here are some pics from the net, they are VERY similar to the units in the Hymer, the larger of the 2 is situated under the front passenger seat (our Hymer is RHD), the smaller of the 2 is situated under the wardrobe floor, next to the ctrl heating unit, the smaller unit has MCB's (miniature circuit breakers) the same as you would in your home. I'll take the proper piccies when we get back.

Schaudt EBL119.jpg

ae235.jpg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
OK I understand. If your EBL is the same model as the one in your picture, it is a different model to mine (EBL99) but it still has an isolation switch on the front panel which shuts off the outputs from the EBL. It is the small switch in the centre left marked 'Batterie Ein / Batterie Aus' (On / Off). Whether this is on or off, the batteries will still be charged.
The smaller white box is the incoming mains isolator - as you say with current breakers.

Do you have the manual for the EBL? If not it can probably be downloaded from the Schaudt website although some of the earlier versions are no longer listed in the downloads section. If you want to do this, let me know and I'll explain how to do it (unless your German is good - I had to work it out by trial and error).

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
OK, mein Deutsch ist Gut, ich war zu Besuch in Deutschland für 45 Jahre jetzt, danke

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back