Card not accepted at tolls (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Going to Tignes last week, the last two tolls wouldn't accept my PO travel card, I had to use my Nationwide debit, and the same tolls refused it when we returned, bit odd, all other tolls accepted the PO travel card ok. The PO is a mastercard the NW is Visa.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
2 cards
Snob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
We had exactly that same problem a couple of years ago, and it drove the OH up the wall - hence we now have a Sanef tag.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Some of the toll machines seem to randomly reject some cards, we use our French Credit Agricole debit cards in tolls and they regularly get refused. We contacted our bank and they could offer no explanation, both cards were pretty new.
However, we got to a very busy toll last year and there were attendants standing by the card tolls. I gave one if the attendants my card, it wouldn't work, so she took it out, rubbed it on her jeans and tried again, it worked fine. She said it always happens, the machines are very sensitive.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My revolut wouldn't work one day last week, then realised it was bank holidays and some machines cannot check pre paid cards so decline them. We had the same at the ATM but moved 100 yds down the road and that bank accepted the card. :rolleyes: Why some work and some don't is one of those ever asked questions.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Been mentioned on here a few times.
The pre pay / travel cards often get turned down at tolls and fuel stations.
Hence always have a back up..
I just use my 1 nationwide card inc for cash withdrawals as no fees.

Buzzybender

Free Member
Mar 18, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Imala 625.
Exp
I'm a newbie
As I said before if your motorhome is over ( even by a whisker ) 3 meters tall, then the French tag will not be accepted. The barrier will open to let you in, lazer cameras will measure height and barrier will not open, as in my case my m/h is 3.03 meters tall. ( Auto trail Imala 625. )

Deleted User
Been mentioned on here a few times.
The pre pay / travel cards often get turned down at tolls and fuel stations.
Hence always have a back up..
I just use my 1 nationwide card inc for cash withdrawals as no fees.

Do you get charged a foreign currency transaction fee when using your NW debit card in the tolls, I was charged this when using the debit card to pay Easyjet in Euro's.

Their T&C's say only cash withdrawal is fee free.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Do you get charged a foreign currency transaction fee when using your NW debit card in the tolls, I was charged this when using the debit card to pay Easyjet in Euro's.

Their T&C's say only cash withdrawal is fee free.

Be honest not used this card for any tolls since i opened the account about 2 years ago. Always do non toll these days.
In the past i had HSBC premier card and dont recall any extra charges there.
These are differences between the flex plus where you have to pay a monthly fee and the free account.

Deleted User
Be honest not used this card for any tolls since i opened the account about 2 years ago. Always do non toll these days.
In the past i had HSBC premier card and dont recall any extra charges there.
These are differences between the flex plus where you have to pay a monthly fee and the free account.

It is the flexplus account that I have, not best pleased at being charged for paying in euros.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@matamoros Happen to have a CC statement handy and from August when we were last at our place in Benidorm.
Found 2 transactions from the consum supermarket. Certainly no extra fees added just the Euros converted to pounds.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
It is the flexplus account that I have, not best pleased at being charged for paying in euros.
Thanks for the reminder I got caught once. You don’t get charged if you use your Nationwide Credit Card which is what I do now for purchases when shopping in Euros both home and abroad
Chris

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As I said before if your motorhome is over ( even by a whisker ) 3 meters tall, then the French tag will not be accepted. The barrier will open to let you in, lazer cameras will measure height and barrier will not open, as in my case my m/h is 3.03 meters tall. ( Auto trail Imala 625. )
Let the tyres down. :)
Though full air suspension would be the answer - limbo under the limit. :)

Deleted User
@matamoros Happen to have a CC statement handy and from August when we were last at our place in Benidorm.
Found 2 transactions from the consum supermarket. Certainly no extra fees added just the Euros converted to pounds.

Was that a debit card, if so which account?

I converted from the Flex account in July, I think the T&C's may have changed since then, I still use the NW credit card for purchases in euros.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Was that a debit card, if so which account?

I converted from the Flex account in July, I think the T&C's may have changed since then, I still use the NW credit card for purchases in euros.

Credit card.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Toll tags - no hassle, cheap as chips, stress free, easy peasy - why not?

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Because like the OP, that OilieFello, we are a bit tooooo big for the tags. :)

Can’t say that we have ever had any trouble on the tolls, with any card, Nationwide, Caxton, Santander, Revolut, any of them. But then hey, Im special, I’m Super.:xshout:

Last edited:

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

We have a Autotrail Apache which is the same height as your M/H have used the Sanef tag for 5 years and have never had a problem. Not sure what you mean about the barrier letting you in but won't let you through. There is only 1 barrier and it will either open or not, unless I've misunderstood your post!

Nidge

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back