Carcassonne (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Any advice please I am travelling to Carcassonne tomorrow is the aire in the aires book France OK security wise. I want to have a look around the city during the day.

Thankyou

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you will get a variety of answers to this question as it has been done before, we have stayed and it was fine but others will not agree an say they did not stop for one reason or another.

If it looks OK when you get there, just go for it(y).

Martin

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We were there 3 weeks ago. Quite a large aire but was quite packed out by half 10. A few spaces appeared towards late afternoon. Be careful on leaving, the card you have on entry needs to be paid before you can put it back into the machine to lift the exit barrier. The payment machine is separate from the car park and is signed. Didn't seem to be any security person-wise, but vehicles do have to get in via barrier so not exactly open to vehicles for a quick drive thro. We explored the old city completely and that took about 2 hrs, not as long as we thought. Not sure about the modern bit tho. Aire book directions are spot on btw.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the aire is quite open as far as i recal. if you want security there is the site a little further up the road and still within easy walking distance of the city.

Oh and stay out of the center in your van on market day.... i can vouch for the one way system being kinda narrow...:doh:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We stayed over night in June, didnt have any problems, about 1/2 full, we arrived early evening and left late morning. Only about 7 euro's, just take your passports / valuables with you. Parking shared with coaches during day but should be Ok, park nearer to top if you can, bottom end quieter. If it is really quiet or you don't feel happy just leave. We felt fine.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Used it once I think it was the old aire.
No problem & a beuriful place to visit IMO

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As I recall it's parking area P2. I don't remember seeing a toilet emptying spot but fresh water and grey water were provided for.

You can see a zoomable panorama what I took here.

We never felt insecure - just incredibly hot. We were there one August and the temperature was well over 40 degrees.

The shops have become increasingly commercial (ie plastic knights, wooden swords etc) in recent years but the basic historic walled city is still worth visiting. I quite liked the chateau within the walls too - extra stuff to see inside and out.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We stayed there for a couple of days in February 2014 while we visited the old city. There was one other van there, we had no problems and felt perfectly safe.
My Sister also lives there and has done for the last 15 years and has never had any security worries.
Just do as you would do anywhere else, keep it locked, blinds or curtains drawn and no valuables on show.
Simples......

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Used it 3 years ago seemed safe, no presence when we where there and all barriers up as it was out of season. It does however have a huge advantage. You can quite easily walk in and out of walled city. This allows you to visit either very early in the day or at night.

The impression of the place is very different when not full of tourists.

Dick

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The impression of the place is very different when not full of tourists.

Dick
First time we went was in July, it was very busy and very hot and we came away with a very poor impression of the city. Last time we went was February, and as Dick says, it was a very different place and a real pleasure to walk around. Wonderful architecture and fantastic views of snow capped mountains in the distance.
Out of season, like most touristy towns, is far better!

Ps, are you there yet?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Stayed there in June this year.

A large parking area, a bit impersonal but we felt completely safe.

Carcassonne has become more and more commercial each time we have visited although it is still well worth a visit. Just ignore the "tat" shops.

Would not advise you to take "Le Petit Train" tour as it just went around the walls, outside the old city. The commentary consisted of explaining what each of the 52 towers was. O k, for the first few then very repetitive .

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Don't pull down the van blinds as soon as it gets dark ! The cité is illuminated after dark and you get a very good view from the aire.

Deleted User
I can recommend Carcassone hospital and the cities Clinique Montreal :whew:

Parking P2 is ok, buts it's a shame they moved from the old aire that was right next to the drawbridge. You may note that P2's charging board is more complex than an A level maths exam :nerd:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We were there last month.. we avoided the aire and stayed on the site. Aire looked fine though.
As stated .. it's stunning at night
IMG_20151017_182931.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back