Carbon, Titanium, Aluminium or Steel? (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
So out of the above what would you want your 'keep it forever' bike frame made from?

There is a company in China that will make me a bespoke titanium frame with titanium fork. To me this seems better than a carbon frame that, will be a couple £100s cheaper but only last 5 - 10 years, and, with my weight, could well catastrophically fail!

I have an aluminium frame at the moment and as good as it is I want something a bit more aero....

Steel may be real but so is rust.

What would you do.......

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Why would carbon only last 5-10yrs ?

Plenty of much older carbon bikes out there. Admittedly a metal (any time) bike could survive and be repaired from many more things vs a carbon bike but even carbon frames these days are repairable to within reason.

I think it's more down to what you want to do with it rather than how long you intend to keep it for.

You say a bit more aero is your goal, you know already that likely means carbon.....

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry can't ever seeing myself having a 'keep forever bike"

Or even a keep forever unicycle 🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Why would carbon only last 5-10yrs ?

You say a bit more aero is your goal, you know already that likely means carbon.....

Carbon frames from big manufacturers limit the rider/bike combined weight to 100kg or 120kg if you are lucky. So that's the warranty out the window.
More weight on the bike means more wear....more likely to have a failure.

Aero does not mean carbon.....
Waltly Bike.jpg

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I have them all ... The choice depends on how you're going to use it - personally I dont race and I aint interested in shaving seconds off anything anymore so Titanium is the perfect all rounder....... with a carbon racer tucked away for a blast in the sun

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Titanium for me too, I've got a vintage Cove hummer 26" mountain bike and just love the feel compared to my other steel or aliminuim framed bikes

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Carbon for me but I’m a lightweight, don’t like Aluminium to rigid and unforgiving, still got my old steel time trial bike, never rode a Titanium frame.

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Leaning towards the titanium......

Although carbon is cheap enough (£420 for frame and fork) that I could ride it for a few years and then swap all the components onto a newer, more hi-tech, frame. Who knows what we will be riding in 5 or 10 years?
When carbon bikes go past me they always sound hollow, plasticy and cheap.....

Aluminium is the cheapest at £150 for frame and carbon forks but I have an ali bike. However it is not disc brakes or DI2 ready so I would have to get a new frame. Aluminium however work hardens so the frame becomes more rigid the more you ride it until cracks form, usually near the bottom bracket.

Titanium is about £800 for the frame and titanium fork but it is made to my dimensions and specifications.
Titanium doesn't work harden like aluminium or steel does. It doesn't rust and frames can be made lighter than steel or aluminium. Besides cost, no down sides!

I'll probably change my mind next week......

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Beware all carbon frames are not created equal ;) it is quite a complicated material to work with as the direction of the fibres dictates the properties of the frame and that's before you get into the subject of different modulus fibres, possibly the old adage "you get what you pay for" comes into force, laws of diminishing return withstanding of course.

Martin

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
So out of the above what would you want your 'keep it forever' bike frame made from?

There is a company in China that will make me a bespoke titanium frame with titanium fork. To me this seems better than a carbon frame that, will be a couple £100s cheaper but only last 5 - 10 years, and, with my weight, could well catastrophically fail!

I have an aluminium frame at the moment and as good as it is I want something a bit more aero....

What would you do.......

If it were me, I would aim to lose weight and see how much riding I would do over the next year; buying a "forever" bike may be premature - the dimensions it is built for may well change with weight loss and you may find that your cycling position becomes more aggressive as you get fitter; what was comfortable when you first get the bike may feel slow etc. in the future.

What is wrong with your ali bike?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If you know your needs are out of spec to a carbon frame then i assume it's not an option really. That Ti frame looks very nice indeed and i can't see you going wrong with that, didn't realise you could get aero type frames in Ti without them costing several times that price, nice find(y)

I had some wheels built up in Asia over Christmas and have been very happy with them, great service, built to spec and very well priced. Just get some reviews on the builder to be sure of what you're getting.

A Di2 aero Ti bike, that sounds nice already. What are the paint options from the builder ?

OP
OP
Neil Bedwin
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
If it were me, I would aim to lose weight and see how much riding I would do over the next year; buying a "forever" bike may be premature - the dimensions it is built for may well change with weight loss and you may find that your cycling position becomes more aggressive as you get fitter; what was comfortable when you first get the bike may feel slow etc. in the future.

What is wrong with your ali bike?

I have lost weight in the last year. My problem is I am 11% bigger than your average human... No, really, I am.
Your average man has sit bones 90-110mm apart. Mine are 140mm. Average man has 390-410mm between acromion processes. Mine are 520mm apart. Etc.
So even if I had no legs I would not get below 110kg. Too many years of rugby and weight training! Unless I can find a carbon frame guaranteed to 150kg it is a non-starter.
Nothing wrong with my Ali bike but I bought it second hand, don't know the age, it's not DI2, it's just not 'mine.'

If you know your needs are out of spec to a carbon frame then i assume it's not an option really. That Ti frame looks very nice indeed and i can't see you going wrong with that, didn't realise you could get aero type frames in Ti without them costing several times that price, nice find(y)

I had some wheels built up in Asia over Christmas and have been very happy with them, great service, built to spec and very well priced. Just get some reviews on the builder to be sure of what you're getting.

A Di2 aero Ti bike, that sounds nice already. What are the paint options from the builder ?

The frame comes brushed or sand blasted. No paint options but there are plenty of places to get it powder coated to my spec in the UK. Have to leave one part bare metal though just so everyone knows it's titanium :LOL:

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Nice, I've still got three sets of pace rc35's, got one set on my pine mountain single speed 👍
I love the Pace forks, think they look well on it

unfortunately the bike no longer fits me and I've plenty of others, need to find time to list on ebay

Frame is genuine Dynatech Racing XC (y)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Never seen a properly finished steel frame rust. :gum:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Made in China - hardly forever from there - Buy British or perhaps German!

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012

What would you do.......
I was in a similar position about 4years ago and I had always had a craving for a Lightspeed. The research led me to the man who started the company - David Lynskey.
I then read a write up for a Lynskey Disc Sportive on BikeRadar and they finished with the statement that if there was one test bike that year that they didn't want to give back, this was it.
I was sold. And I've not been disappointed.
Not the lightest or most expensive. Not the most responsive, but really comfortable.
Good luck with your choice.

Terry

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
"even if i had no legs i would not get below 110kgs"

best line i've read in a long time:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Carbon.
Lifetime original owner warranty or 3 years if bought from a dealer, some conditions do apply

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Carbon.
Lifetime original owner warranty or 3 years if bought from a dealer, some conditions do apply
The OP would probably be too heavy for many carbon bikes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back