buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I am a gas fitter and it is the first thing i bought when we had the old kon tiki still have one even though the motor home is a lot newer when we were looking for our first motorhome we went to see an elldis and the chap was dead proud about the flue less gas heater he had fitted to a cupboard door that you could open downwards to get behind the heater for extra storage looked like an accident waiting to happen never fails to amaze me what people will diy with no thought of the results.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That's really odd - our Pilote Reference had a fire extinguisher from new! Between the rear of the driver's seat and the side of the settee over the gas locker. Secured with a proper strap in a quite hard to get to place really. And where no day or artificial light shines really either. Absolutely ideal spot. (we don't have an 'Irony Alert' smiley, I just discovered so ) :Doh:

But to get to it from the kitchen area* one has to pass the hab door, so personally I'll be going straight out of that, and running like hell - not grovelling for the extinguisher in the van. Or collecting £200 on the way past .....

* cooker, boiler and fridge are all here.

If the engine catches light, then ditto, frankly.

I hate smoke alarms. The one in the Bessie went off if you lit the grill or fried anything, it was a PITA and the cover part spent more time face down on the passenger seat than it did on the wall .....

One rally org that some of us belong to, still insists on Fire Buckets being placed at one end of one's outfit. Yes we'll place our ordinary bucket there with water in it if you insist, to comply with the Rules (- but if you think we'll ever deploy it you better have another think) I did notice one with a nice plastic duck floating in it one day and thought that probably said it all better than words, really !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thanks Bill for a good thread. I fitted a detector soon after I got my van, having read on here last year about all those folk who had taken their bbq into their tents, with tragic results.

What this thread has done is to remind me to check/test my detector - it just sits there and flashes as it should and I take no notice of it.

Thanks again Bill. And well done on your prompt action.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just an up date got a phone call Frome them just now the flew on the van was not working right on there fire and the fridge was not venting properly they are still not recovered fully from there ordeal but are very happy to be alive:Eeek:
they are coming over for tea tonight with the children in there car

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
After readding this thread I actually fished out my detector for the house and plugged it in! So again thanks Bill

(I've got one of those black cast iron stoves, used heating ovals in it yesterday and there was a bit of a smell leaking into the house, but seems to have stopped after a while)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
After readding this thread I actually fished out my detector for the house and plugged it in! So again thanks Bill

(I've got one of those black cast iron stoves, used heating ovals in it yesterday and there was a bit of a smell leaking into the house, but seems to have stopped after a while)

Back in the 'good old days' when we had solid fuel advisors, they came to our house to look at our chimney. They told me that if you can smell any fire related residual you will also have CO present, even though CO is completely odourless and can't be smelt

We had our chimney relined for safety

Thanks again Bill, the more that read this thread and do something about it the better

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Many thanks for this useful thread

I got in touch with Co Awareness who said
If you are looking to buy a CO alarm for your motorhome you would need to by one that's BS EN 50291-2

and they sent me these links which I thought I would pass on :Smile:

http://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030183106

https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/#inbox/142bc9f8f689a47f?projector=1
grate advice but I like to keep thing simple
to save any confusion a Kidde or any named brand of detector well do the job all sold in the uk as a safety appliance must met those specifications by law.
just to save any confusion keede have saved the life of a family just a few days ago I wont use any thing but them from now on.
thr proof of the pudding was in the eating as they say.
we have two in our van and change the battery's every year on a six month cycle
we bought our second one six months after the firs one so there is always a detector with battery's not older six months old

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Having read this thread I went out and bought a Kidde carbon monoxide alarm and a smoke alarm too. The question now is where to put them?

According to the blurb the carbon monoxide alarm should not be within 30cm of the ceiling or outside wall and must be not less than 2m and not more than 4m from the appliance producing a flame - in our case 4 appliances! The blurb also says that the smoke alarm in a mobile vehicle should not be on the ceiling - it should be on an inside wall and not less than 10cm and not more than 30cm from the ceiling.

So where do you all put these ugly but essential pieces of equipment?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
post a pick of your lay out but I protect the sleeping aria mine is on the wardrobe wall sometimes have to compromise a bit on looks I would rather look at one of them than have a dirt nap
the les than two meter thing is hard in a van I know its not ideal but with motor homes it at times can be hard to position them maybe Dave newel can help on this one
mine is not within any of those parameters but have tested them bye living to cooker on and listening from out side for the alarm to go off
this was my way of testing efficiency and dose not constitute a correct test procedure
but after last weeks results having one in your van is beater than not having one
a wrongly placed one is even beater than not having one but in the confined space of a motorhome expert advice should be taken
that why I have two fitted one each end of the van

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't have picky at the moment of the layout. It is an Adria Coral S660SL. Basically it has a Eurolounge at the front and two single high level beds at the back with garage under and steps up. The offside wall has door, kitchen and wardrobe and the nearside has toilet and shower room.

We don't want to put it in bed area as flashing lights (on both) will keep us awake.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back