Carbon Monoxide Alarms (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Smoke alarms, CO alarms and gas alarms.
Just starting looking into this subject this morning. My friend has borrowed a Gas heater from me to put in the back of his work van as he is off to Holland for four days and will be sleeping in the back of his van. I started looking into this Carbon monoxide co poisoning business and decided to buy him an alarm. Now a normal smoke detector only warns you of smoke. So I wanted a co detector. I will use it in my MT afterwards. 50€ However the guy then showed me another type of alarm which also detects any other gasses like sleeping gas.( I forgot the technical name for it) 75€ The guy owns a MT repair shop. He told me has had two customers who claim they were gassed and robbed whilst in their motor home. That was here in France. Apparently its more common in Italy and Spain. So for piece of mind I have ordered one. They are easy to fit, they just plug into the cig lighter power point. It's on order and should arrive next week. Now I have always been skeptical about this gassing business as I have spoken to trained anesthetist who claim such a gas doesn't exist. I remember Jenson Button and his girlfriend claimed they were gassed and robbed so for the sake of 75€ I will give it a go. I wonder how many other MH users have any sort of gas alarms?

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
He told you about 2 people who claimed they had been gassed.
How lucky that he just happened to have an alarm for only 75€ .

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
He told you about 2 people who claimed they had been gassed.
How lucky that he just happened to have an alarm for only 75€ .
, He didn't have the alarm for 75€. he had the one for 50€ which is the CO alarm. He has ordered it for me . Plus I might add he is the son of one of our neighbors who are very good friends of ours.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
They are easy to fit, they just plug into the cig lighter power point. It's on order and should arrive next week. Now I have always been skeptical about this gassing business as I have spoken to trained anesthetist who claim such a gas doesn't exist. I remember Jenson Button and his girlfriend claimed they were gassed and robbed so for the sake of 75€ I will give it a go. I wonder how many other MH users have any sort of gas alarms?
Problem is most cig lighter points are only live when ignition is on.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Problem is most cig lighter points are only live when ignition is on.

Pleased to report I have two cig power points that work all the time in the van. I usually use them to charge our mobiles over night.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it annoys me when people get screwed over. gas alarm under £5 decent CO alarm under £20

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Here we go.....

9972A4BF-CD2C-4C7B-8405-CA21D2168911.jpeg

9042D8C1-554F-44DF-A159-26768774ADB4.jpeg

:D2:D2:D2:D2:D2:D2

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I hesitated before replying but €50 for a CO alarm is about four times what you should pay. They may be good friends but it doesn't mean they know a bargain. :) However, I would happily pay €50 for my life and might even stretch to as much as €100. Go for it if it gives you reassurance and get the gas/fart alarm as well. :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I hesitated before replying but €50 for a CO alarm is about four times what you should pay. They may be good friends but it doesn't mean they know a bargain. :) However, I would happily pay €50 for my life and might even stretch to as much as €100. Go for it if it gives you reassurance and get the gas/fart alarm as well. :)

Could be they're more expensive in France ?
I know when I lived there I used to see stuff in local DIY store (B&Q type) and think HOW much ?????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just starting looking into this subject this morning. My friend has borrowed a Gas heater from me to put in the back of his work van as he is off to Holland for four days and will be sleeping in the back of his van. I started looking into this Carbon monoxide co poisoning business and decided to buy him an alarm. Now a normal smoke detector only warns you of smoke. So I wanted a co detector. I will use it in my MT afterwards. 50€ However the guy then showed me another type of alarm which also detects any other gasses like sleeping gas.( I forgot the technical name for it) 75€ The guy owns a MT repair shop. He told me has had two customers who claim they were gassed and robbed whilst in their motor home. That was here in France. Apparently its more common in Italy and Spain. So for piece of mind I have ordered one. They are easy to fit, they just plug into the cig lighter power point. It's on order and should arrive next week. Now I have always been skeptical about this gassing business as I have spoken to trained anesthetist who claim such a gas doesn't exist. I remember Jenson Button and his girlfriend claimed they were gassed and robbed so for the sake of 75€ I will give it a go. I wonder how many other MH users have any sort of gas alarms?
I assume he will not be using the heater at night?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Seems a bit pricey to me?. They retail generally from about £17 upward. a "Fire Angel" will set you back £24. We have had those in the R-V`s and Camper since the early 2000`s.

Where you locate them is very important too.

BTW. They have a recommended service life of about 5 years, after which it is advised to replace them.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Parrrrrty :rofl:

Sorry Guys. This is a serious debate about saving lives (CO poisoning):(, Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent!. (remember Dragnet?) Not about people who imbibed too much Red Wine! and fell (Unconscious) Asleep!:D2:whistle::whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back