Carbon Monoxide Alarm (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Strange one this morning, came down at 7am and made a mug of tea, went outside as it is very sunny (thats strange in itself:ROFLMAO:).

Could hear an alarm going of in the background and realised it was from the van at the bottom of the garden.:whatthe:

Grabbed the keys went down to find the Carbon Monoxide alarm going off.
Apart from EHU there is nothing else on, gas is off at bottles.

Strange !!:Eeek::Eeek:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I experienced a similar situation a couple of years ago when one of the leisure batteries failed. It was on EHU and therefore charging and a cell had failed with the result that various gases were being given off and the CO alarm was going berserk. In this case I could tell there was a significant problem as the hydrogen sulphide smelt awful, but I guess less severe failure might result in other gases being emitted first.
If the same problem has happened to you, approach with great caution as any hydrogen mixture could be explosive. Do not use anything that might cause a spark (e.g. switch on a light) until you have determined the cause.

I know sealed and gel batteries are supposed to be safe for internal use, but when a gel battery cell fails, they can give off gas. I now have two sealed Elecsol batteries replacing the original Exide gels, but this time I made sure they have venting tubes to the outside.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Batteries

Funny you should say that JeanLuc.::bigsmile:

One of the leisure batts was getting very hot, turned out it was dry, so i topped it up but it made no difference still got hot. Changed it yesterday and kept checking the battery, it was staying cold so i thought i had solved the problem.:thumb:
After the alarm this morning i went to check the battery an hour later and there had been a bit of a spillage from it, probably the cause of the alarm.
Getting the system checked out as i wondered if it was overcharging ! :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back