Carbon monoxide alarm beeping (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
We experienced similar once. Turned out the batteries were slightly out of position, which I guess the alarm 'reads' as being low charge. Simply pushing the batteries in properly fixed it.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
If you’re not sure, get a new one they’re not as expensive as a funeral. As for where they should be placed. Read the instructions. Some are placed low down some up high.
Same with smoke alarms, if you’re not sure get a new one. Most smoke alarms now cannot have the battery changed so a new on is required. This is because when I used to fit them we would find some types of people took out the batteries when their tv remote needed new batteries or the kids toys etc.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As others have said , we have only had one go off once, and that was definitely the hab battery, couldn't smell anything but it was quite warm, replaced it and stopped. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
As a slight diversion, I heard that ALL households in Scotland must have Hard Wired smoke detectors fitted in the near future ? A pal of mine lets out a flat and the sparky doing his inspection commented on it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There are a few dangerous gases in a motorhome Carbon Monoxide, Hydrogen Sulphide (smells like bad eggs), Hydrogen and dog farts

The ones you cant smell are the ones that trigger the detector

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Slightly off topic. One of our house smoke alarms started giving low battery beeps. It's a Fire Angel with 10 battery. The info on the back said it was only 4 years old. I spoke with Fire Angel tech support and they confirmed it's age by the serial number and posted me an updated replacement foc. They also suggested as already mentioned, hoovering out the dust is a good idea.

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
I had an alarm go off when Diesel exhaust fumes triggered it too !! Back draft from a window or roof vent ?? ??

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
I have today replaced the battery in my smoke alarm as I took the van from storage to home it was bleeping and on checking the date on the battery it said September 2020 so I could not complain about the battery life!
I always carry spare batteries in the van just in case, it is not amusing to be woken by the alarm in the middle of the an trying to discover why it has triggered.
I had a gas detector that became unreliable and was triggered without cause so it was replaced. Their sensor life seems rather short.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 inches headroom? If I don't duck, I bang my head on the skylight surround in some vans

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Never had a CO2 alarm (sorry) but the (factory fitted I presume) smoke alarm in the Bessie on the cab ceiling above the passenger seat, always went off as soon as you lit the grill, before you even bunged the bread under it. Hence it was always removed and placed safely on the seat before lighting the grill.

We never had a fire per se - but not a Beep did it ever utter with the two of us both smoking roll ups either in the cab or in the seating area, or when there were more of us in it, with half smoking. Just added insult to injury really when it told us it needed a new battery - dunno how really but somehow it just entirely stopped beeping at some time .......

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Since 2017
Just to agree with Googlebot - CO same molecular weight as nitrogen which is 80% of air. But, if it comes from incomplete combustion, it'll be warm and rise. Btw, Kidde recommend fitting theirs (it's a 7CO) at waist height - "CO rises very slowly and by the time it's at the ceiling it's at dangerous levels". But as I said in the other post, it's hard to find somewhere in a m'home at waist height that won't get bashed! Btw, mine's been there for 3.5 years on the same batteries no problem.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Totally endorse above, ours are fitted at head height when sat, in kitchen / lounge area and higher but close to pillow height in sleeping area , we have one at each end 👍

on the same logic as carrying a personal gas monitor when working in risky areas, you need it as close to where you will be as can be achieved 🤔

and it’s CO not CO2 sedge and others who regularly confuse these gases 👍

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
lorger what was it? Dont want to start another thread if u got an answer.
We just took the batteries out and back in and all was fine for the couple of days we were away, we’ve not used the van since so still need to change the batteries.

JSmt

Free Member
Apr 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Caravan owner
Just had a similar problem. Co alarm going off when no gas connected at all. This was followed by a smell. Checked the alarm - no fault. Ended up returning to agent. Immediately asked if the battery felt warm. Yes. Duff battery - change immediately. All now well. Apparently it is quite common but also really dangerous as the battery can explode with dangerous results. There should also be venting out from the battery compartment even with a "sealed" battery. One guy suggested removing the seal around the battery box door to the outside which seems a good idea. Having said all that, we have been touring for over 30 years and its the first time I've come across this.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just had a similar problem. Co alarm going off when no gas connected at all. This was followed by a smell. Checked the alarm - no fault. Ended up returning to agent. Immediately asked if the battery felt warm. Yes. Duff battery - change immediately. All now well. Apparently it is quite common but also really dangerous as the battery can explode with dangerous results. There should also be venting out from the battery compartment even with a "sealed" battery. One guy suggested removing the seal around the battery box door to the outside which seems a good idea. Having said all that, we have been touring for over 30 years and its the first time I've come across this.
ALL lead acid batteries have vent holes in the side at the top. pop out the blanking bungs when you install the battery and fit a small pipe that passes through a small hole in the floor to outside. Been standard practice for years, but too many people just don't bother. The hydrogen produced is colourless, odourless and highly explosive. The stink is the other gas produced, hydrogen sulphide which is highly toxic and could kill you in your sleep. The same gas kills animals round volcanic lakes and has killed entire villages in Africa.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mine beeped because fridge vents needed clearing. .. Then one night it went berserk and I felt bad it woke everybody up. Fortunately, was at a rally and the fridge people came and sorted it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mine beeped because fridge vents needed clearing. .. Then one night it went berserk and I felt bad it woke everybody up. Fortunately, was at a rally and the fridge people came and sorted it.
Rear of the fridge should be completely sealed from the inside of the van if it has been installed correctly.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Rear of the fridge should be completely sealed from the inside of the van if it has been installed correctly.
Lenny, I guess that mine wasn't then?

Is there a way I can check please? It was a few years ago that the fridge thing happened.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, I guess that mine wasn't then?

Is there a way I can check please? It was a few years ago that the fridge thing happened.
Draughts around the fridge when in a strong wind that side of the van is facing the wind is a giveaway. You really have to look at the installation make sure you can't see any daylight and take the vents off and have a look how well it's sealed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back